PDA

View Full Version : Eduard I-16 model release with special bonus!

telsono
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I was at the Squadron Mailorder Website and saw this item:

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=eur0003

This was just simply amazing!

Besides the 3 complete model kits of the I-16, with multiple variations, you get a 1.16th scale figure, a 1:1 scale Guards Badge replica and a copy of the IL-2 Sturmovik Fogotten Battles - Complete Addition!

That would be worth the price!

heywooood
10-02-2006, 07:06 PM
good find - someone at Squadron must be a fan...

Too bad they don't offer the Pe-2 addon with the Pe-2 model....that would be marketing genius.

jarink
10-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by heywooood:
....that would be marketing genius.

Posting that idea on this forum is so wonderfully ironic.

heywooood
10-02-2006, 07:42 PM
exactally

leitmotiv
10-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Eduard is having trouble selling the model---it has "issues"---more later after dinner...

heywooood
10-02-2006, 08:23 PM
"due to shipping delays - leadtime is...2 weeks"

R_Target
10-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Can only be assembled with Boonty-Glue".

leitmotiv
10-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I bought the Type 10 several months ago. Mind you, I am a huge Eduard fan, and I do not get my kicks from trashing models. The model is not up to the stratospheric standards of their latest WWI models like the Brisfit and D.VII versions. The cockpit is a disgrace. As we all know from playing the Il-2 series, the I-16 did not have a floor. Eduard's, shame on them, has a floor just like the big MPM 1:32 I-16. The fixing will require some good references, but you don't expect this kind of nonsense from a premium kit. The front of the cowling was angular on the model, not rounded---supposedly this has been fixed in this set. The windscreen is too thick---a vacform one would have been better (I bought one from Squadron), and the wing machine guns are too thick. There may be other things but I have not had the time to get into it yet. Oh yeah, they don't even advise you to drill out the holes on the upper fuselage for the "skylights" for illuminating the deeply buried instrument panel. It seems like Eduard short-changed the WWII modelers with this item---I venture, they would not have dared be so sloppy with one of their WWI offerings.

leitmotiv
10-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Oh yes, one last thing---Eduard responded to the cries of dismay by saying "oh well, this was not intended to be one of our premium kits." Maybe they should not have charged a premium price on the original Model 10 kit!

Having this out of the way, if you buy it, you will notice they have the vertical stab canted off-center to counter torque just right, and the curious twist in the hump behind the pilot. Nobody else ever got these. Eduard generated their own plans from restored I-16s because they found too many errors in published plans---thus they caught it from loads of guys who were stunned to find it didn't match the plans in their particular source.

Here is Eduard's defense of their model (go to Newsletter>June '06 No6):

http://www.eduard.cz/

If you are a real hard-core I-16 fiend, like I am, you will want this, but I have a suspicion this model will be re-done by Eduard some time in the future.

csThor
10-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by R_Target:
Can only be assembled with Boonty-Glue".
Thanks a bunch, R_Target. I nearly spat my drink on my TFT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif