PDA

View Full Version : UK TV Tonite, Reach for the sky.

davstub
08-15-2005, 09:57 AM
21:45 BBC 4, Reach for the Sky For Douglas Bader life was always a challenge. After a disastrous flying accident, the doctors expected him to die, but Bader's determination and courage overcame incredible odds. For life meant flying, and war gave him the chance to prove the doubters wrong. [Lewis Gilbert, 1956, b&w] >>

Daiichidoku
08-15-2005, 10:06 AM
**** good movie, up there with "the dam busters" and "the sound barrier"

b&w british films from 50s with little or no love interest, "just the facts, maam"

sure dont make aviation films like that anymore

ReichstagMad
08-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.

Got it on DVD but will watch it again & again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Taylortony
08-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Bet he wins the war again... Sort of met him indirectly once in real life whilst in the RAF and he was not what one would call pleasant, indeed most of us at the time thought quite the opposite...

NorrisMcWhirter
08-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi,

Just watched this film. I've not seen it for ages and it was quite good considering it's age. Not sure about the praise it heaped on the Big Wing theory as, as far as I've read, it wasn't a success but there you go.

I think Where Eagles Dare is on BBC1 tomorrow so there's a chance to see that magnificent Junkers again!

Ta,
norris

fabianfred
08-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:
Hi,

Just watched this film. I've not seen it for ages and it was quite good considering it's age. Not sure about the praise it heaped on the Big Wing theory as, as far as I've read, it wasn't a success but there you go.

Ta,
norris

the Big Wing Theory was Bader's pet... so it had to show big in his story...

I got The Dam Busters from P2P but can't find anyone with this one..