PDA

View Full Version : Coast watchers

Skoshi Tiger
05-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi there! I've been lurking around the forum since I bought Pacific Fighters at the begining of the years, though this is my first post. First of all I'ld like to congratulate you all on being part of a fairly dynamic and focused community that seams intent on getting the most out of the this series of sims.

Now I've been flying P40-Es in the RAAF campaign on the North coast of New Guinea, with mixed success. (I've recently had a new little baby boy, well my wife has, and that leaves me about 5 minutes every fortnight to get into the sim!)

Basicly the point for my message is, Most of the missons so far, involve scrambling my fighters and intercepting bombers and fighters attacking my airfield.

By the time my squadron get airborne the Japanese are already at the attacking, I'm down low and slow ... In completely the worst situation for my P-40....

Either I turn back to cover my squadron as they take off and get shot down, or head for the hills, Pickup speed and height to get a fighting chance, and my squadron gets wiped out.

You would think after the first couple of raids the powers-that-be, would organise something like the coast watchers up and down the coast and on the surrounding mountain tops to get us at least 10 minutes warning.

Half a dozen radio sets would save 3 or 4 P40's a mission in my campaign! (A small price to pay!)

What are other peoples thoughts on this matter?

LEXX_Luthor
05-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Oleg may be doing ground observers over the BoB, in additon to radar. If they communicate with AI squadrons as well as player plane, this has good potential for modding later theaters using ground observers like Aussom Coast Watchers. Against the Japanese, the Soviets and Chinese made fantastic use of of Chinese ground observers armed with telephones.

For the FB/PF, we depend on the mission creators, or the design of a dynamic mission generator.

Skoshi::
Either I turn back to cover my squadron as they take off and get shot down, or head for the hills, Pickup speed and height to get a fighting chance, and my squadron gets wiped out.
This was hysterical correct tactic used by P~39s in the early days of Port Moresby.

Congratulations on the new baby simmer.

Saunders1953
05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Skoshi: Although it sounds like you won't have much time for it, you can go in through the FMB and modify the missions to account for this by editing the arrival times of the Japanese. Home grown campaigns are another route, of course. There are some good ones centered on Guadalcanal and Port Moresby at Airwarfare, SimHQ--or is that Sim Outhouse??--and right on the UBI Home page links here, I think.

Happy flying!