PDA

View Full Version : Japanese bombsights?

joeap
07-23-2005, 05:58 AM
I'm curious about something. The Betty got the Lofte bombsight (like the B-25 did but I don't expect a custom sight...at least until BoB I hope) which is different from the simpleer sight used on the TB-3.

Now what was the Japanese sight more like? I know nothing except a few scenes from Tora!Tora!Tora! (note not Pearl Harbour, I repeat Tora!Tora!Tora!) which showed a sight on the Kates more like the Tb-3, rather cool on the carriers they would practice with some crew pulling a map of Pearl Harbour with some 3d models of the battleships glued on under the parked plane to sim the bomb run. You could clearly see the sight was more like the TB-3 (vector sight?) and you saw the same view when Arizona was hit.

Any real info out there?

Platypus_1.JaVA
07-23-2005, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned with what the Japanese bombsight looked like in Tora Tora Tora. It seems a typical hollywood interpretation to me. And the Kate bombsight can also be diffrent then the Betty sight. I would like to know also how japanese bombsights worked. Right now it is indeed identical to the American and German sights.

joeap
07-23-2005, 01:54 PM
You're probably right...it's just that for a Hollywood film (and Tora Tora Tora was a co-Japanese/American production) was pretty accurate in terms of showing how and when events unfolded, so that's why I thought it might be a bit more accurate. Agree a Kate is not a Betty..and for sure the Japanese and the US did not use German bombsights. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Slater_51st
07-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Tora!Tora!Tora! messed up the battleships as well. I believe all ships shown @ Pearl were shown with 8 or 12 main guns, whereas Oklahoma and Nevada had 10 main guns IRL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Still, it is one of the absolute BEST WWII movies, imho.

S! Slater

F10_Chainsaw
07-24-2005, 04:02 AM
well Ive got some troubbel with the Japanese sight actually. Ive most flyed the HE-111 and score hit 9/10 times but now with the betty they fall 100m short. I have to take away 20km/h from the TAS and use that angle to hit the target...

How can this be? was the japanese sight not as good as the Lofte7 ?

Or does Japanese Sight need different values to be inserted into the sight just as the B25 needs knot instead of km/h ??

Anybody knows?

Ruy Horta
07-24-2005, 04:54 AM
If you are really interested, you should take a peek in:

Japanese Aircraft Equipment 1940-1945
Robert Mikesh
Schiffer, 2004
0-7643-2097-1

Not as great as the book published by Monogram, by the same author, but it fills in many gaps from that previous work.

According to what you can find in there PF is not very accurate when it comes to IJN sights, especially the Dive- and Level bombing sights could have been more "authentic" based on this ready available source.

MiamiEagle
07-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Like everything else about this. All the Japanese Items and equipments where under research.

As for the Japanese Bombsigt been as good as the German the answer is resounding, No!.

It was not as bad as later record indicate but not as good as the Germans Bombsight courtesy of the US Goverment.

In one of the few German esponage success operations in the war. They where able due the Americans lack of security to steal their Bombers bombsight.

I do not remember its name but I do now it was best in the world at that time.

The Germans simply copied it and used in their Blitzgrieg campaigns for the duration of the war.

This show you how important it is for us to secure our top secret equipment from potential enemies.

James007

Ruy Horta
07-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Never read before that the standard Luftwaffe bombsight was based on anything American?

It reminds me of something I once saw in a TV documentary (I think it was Bader or Tuck) who explained that the Germans got their idea for a reflector gun sight from a visit to an RAF fighter squadron shortly before WW2.

Point is that the Germans had an operational Revi in 1918, the socalled Oigee, albeit based on a British Patent from before WW1!

So what's the source for that Bombsight theory?

(I seem to remember that german intelligence was able to get their hands on the plans for an early Norden, but that did NOT result in the standard bombsight for the Kampfgeschwader).