View Full Version : Interesting....

wayno7777
02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
What most know anyway....
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1332&tag=nl.e539

XP SP2 vs. Vista SP1

DKoor
02-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Didn't look... perhaps they said SP2 was more reliable or something?
Lol I've decided to look into it.... just confirmed what I already thought/read on net.

roybaty
02-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Yep Big reason I am not using Vista, no real benefits aside from DX10 which I'v read can be installed onto XP if one really wanted to.

woofiedog
02-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I've thought about swapping over to Vista... but the more I read it seems that XP is still the way to go. Except for like roybaty says... it can run DX10. But how many games in your collection is that? Mine... none.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, just to show that opinions about vista can be subjective, I love it. The beta and the RC's sucked but once some of the updates started coming out I tried it again and have never gone back to XP. Still have an XP partition but haven't used it in months and months. SP1 for vista makes it even better.

woofiedog
02-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Urufu_Shinjiro...

Which edition are you running?

And what do you find that you like or what features are better with Vista vs XP?

LEBillfish
02-21-2008, 08:00 AM
So does this mean I should stick to Windows 3.1, or go back to DOS? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by woofiedog:
Urufu_Shinjiro...

Which edition are you running?

And what do you find that you like or what features are better with Vista vs XP?

I'm using Ultimate X64. I find moving around the desktop and such it is faster than XP. I also find it more stable, in all the time I've been running it I only got one BSOD, and I forced it to do it (trying to force it to run an old ripped game that was meant for 98/2k), lol. When vista does encounter a problem it handles it much better than xp, for instance if my videocard is overclocked too mcuh instead of the whole system coming to a screeching halt like in XP, vista will simply reset the graphics driver, shows a popup bubble from the system tray and everything is fine after that. XP needs to be rebooted every so often or it will start to "clog up", never seen this in vista, I leave it on most of the time. A lot of people complain about vista using more ram, this is sort of tru and mostly not, it does use a little more ram than XP but mostly what people do is they see this really high ram usage and think "OMG, it uses all my ram!". Whats really happening is vista uses ram very differently than XP, vista has "superfetch" which learns your habits and then preloads certain programs into ram so they launch almost instantly, if you launch something else that ram is immidiatly available. 2g of ram should be the minimum for Vista but most good machines these days have at least that and ram is cheaper than dirt right now. There are a lot of subtle feature that make vista a nice experience and after the initial "where did they put that" phase you find vista is really well thought out. I'm not suggesting that everyone with XP should dump it and get vista, but at the same time if you want to make the switch there is no reason not to either. Once you turn off UAC in the control panel and tweak the services (something that should be done in XP too), get all the performance updates from windows updates, vista runs like a dream. I'm also running Servicepack 1 for vista and it makes it even better.

woofiedog
02-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Very interesting and something to think about for in the near future... I Thank You for taking the time to post your thoughts on Vista.

Thank's

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Oh God...another "New ...old one was better" article.

This same happens EVERY time a new OS is released, and has been happening since the CPM/DOS days

I'll guarantee that this same , when the next OS is released, will write an article that will claim that Vista is the best, and that the new one .

*****Edit by woofiedog*****

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by RAF_OldBuzzard:
Oh God...another "New ...old one was better" article.

This same happens EVERY time a new OS is released, and has been happening since the CPM/DOS days

I'll guarantee that this same , when the next OS is released, will write an article that will claim that Vista is the best, and that the new one .

*****Edit by woofiedog*****

Yeah, rgr. I'm so tired of all the anti-vista **** because it's the exact same thing that went around when XP came out. Take every single anti-vista post out there and change vista to xp and xp to win98. I bet if I cared to search hard enough I could dig up all those posts on some message board out there that all say whats being said now. It would be funny if it weren't so sad, lol.