PDA

View Full Version : Hunting,AT NIGHT!!!

Poacher886a
02-03-2005, 09:10 AM
I was going to start 'a which country is best thread',but we seem to have a board full of them already so this one's back on topic!

How are we meant to hunt ship's at night...

It seem's from most articles i've read that, this for obvious reasons was the favoured time for the u-boat,but (in game i'm talking),surely unless its a moonlit night or the whole place lit by an enemy flare(bad)how the hell will you see anything,

After all unless your by the coast(city glow etc)the open sea would be pitch black!!

Do you have to sit under the water listening for the enemy or something????

Poacher886a
02-03-2005, 09:10 AM
I was going to start 'a which country is best thread',but we seem to have a board full of them already so this one's back on topic!

How are we meant to hunt ship's at night...

It seem's from most articles i've read that, this for obvious reasons was the favoured time for the u-boat,but (in game i'm talking),surely unless its a moonlit night or the whole place lit by an enemy flare(bad)how the hell will you see anything,

After all unless your by the coast(city glow etc)the open sea would be pitch black!!

Do you have to sit under the water listening for the enemy or something????

Bulwark_
02-03-2005, 09:28 AM
That's why I mentioned earlier in another thread about port and stbd running lights. Although you wouldn't be able to see them very well, it might be just enough! I know ships would rather keep out of sight but there may at least be a small light on the back of the ships to keep the convoys together. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Good point though as I'd prefer hunting at night. I think the explosions would look much better!

bertgang
02-03-2005, 09:50 AM
As I know, allied ships travelled totally darkend most of time; so, if you can see their lights, be sure that someone is doing something silly.

Anyway, the dark shadows of surfaced ships were more visible than those of u-boats; so it was possible to spot the enemy without been spotted.

Listening underwater was useful for convoys; getting sound contacts from lone ships was difficult, unless really near.

HeibgesU999
02-03-2005, 10:11 AM
If it's done as in real life, there will be a number of levels of darkness that you need to take into consideration when doing your tactical planning.

BMNT= Begin Morning Nautical Twilight
BMCT= Begin Morning Civil Twilight
Sunrise=
Sunset=
EECT= End Evening Civil Twilight
EENT= End Evening Nautical Twilight

Dominicrigg
02-03-2005, 10:14 AM
At night its not pitch black, tonight go out at midnight and stand in a field lol.

Stand there a few minutes and you will soon see that you can see pretty well. At sea there is little to block vision so you can see for km even in the dark!

Of course this can be affected by the weather since its hardly ever perfect weather and fog rain ect will cut down visibility but big ships and smoke are fairly easy to spot.

Sound travels a long way underwater, if you did lose sight of a convoy submerging to use the listening devices would often locate them beyond visual range, so you could do this, then surface and chase again! (as bert said)

The coolest thing about subs is the "i can see you but you cant see me" factor, where a ship will be in plain view but thanks to your low profile they wont have a clue about you. (till those cunning british wack radar on their ships... cheats)

Poacher886a
02-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Yea i agree with all.But i can see a cheat all ready...
If you stand on the bridge at night, certainly with bad weather in real time you will probably find it hard to see(i realise stars will give some light),and miss some ships,certainly loner's,which is probably realistic,but

If you now compress time,i'll bet you can guarantee your get a "ship spotted" evertime from the watch regardless of night,weather,etc.

HeibgesU999
02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Why would you think the TC would make a difference?

bertgang
02-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Possible but, from my experience in AoD, I don't think so.

In chart mode, usually the automatic spotting of enemy units by lookouts is slower than mine; worst more, if possible, with an high time compression rate; often, when I hear "ship in sight", this ship is already gone out of sight.