PDA

View Full Version : OT: Newegg is cheating bastiges? :)

crazyivan1970
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
All i can say is ouch... i wouldn`t want business end up on WSJ in such undesirable article http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB1123119857320...03,00.html?mod=blogs (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB112311985732004654-x3qD8ODU_jwTvTplbvV6uhXfyBc_20060803,00.html?mod=b logs)

|CoB|_Spectre
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
I must say, Ivan, I'm a bit surprised at this topic even though marked with the "OT" disclaimer, especially from a moderator of these forums. It sounds like Newegg follows some of the same guidelines as these Ubi forums regarding free speech. Granted, a potential customer might depend on unbiased feedback from customers in order to make a more informed decision prior to purchase, but that isn't much different from opinions regarding the relative merits of software. I will confess surprise that Newegg might do such a thing, but the WSJ article does present the company's reasons for rejecting the cited unflattering product review. IIRC, their website cautions against using consumer reviews as the sole basis for making a purchase decision. I nearly got burned by a now-defunct computer parts company a few years ago and then I discovered http://www.resellerratings.com and now crosscheck before I buy from a vendor with whom I have no previous experience. Along that same line, I have made numerous purchases from Newegg over the last few years and have nothing but good things to report, as have a number of my friends some of whom availed themselves of Newegg's customer support services with great satisfaction. When you consider the volume of business, it is likely there will be some not totally satisfied, albeit the person cited in the WSJ article still professes to be a Newegg customer with less confidence in their customer reviews. We all have our own experiences, mine happens to be have been good...so far.

NewNewly
08-04-2005, 08:45 PM
New Egg Rocks! I have built several PC's after buying parts exclusively from New Egg's site. I research the parts at sites like Tom's Hardware and Motherboards.org, read the reviews at NewEgg and then buy.

There have always been positive and negetive reviews at this site. One article in the WSJ won't make me think twice about buying from this reliable, excellent parts provider.

FI-Aflak
08-04-2005, 08:58 PM
I've built seven PC's now from newegg, ordered countless other add-ins (mostly lots of harddrives and external encrosures for my mom's photograph business) and I have never once had a complaint. A few DOA items, RMA worked great.

vocatx
08-04-2005, 09:01 PM
After my experience with Newegg when trying to order parts for my new computer, they will NEVER get a penny of my money. All purchases will be from Hunter at Magnum PC or Tiger Direct.

I DO NOT like to be hung up on when I ask a "telephone answerer" to let me speak to her supervisor.

BaldieJr
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
I order from newegg all the time.

This is a very wierd thread. I don't see any mention of newegg cheating anyone, except for in the title of this thread.

Kinda shamefull man.

repoman11
08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
I've been buying from the Egg for years now, and have been very pleased with their service.

Having said that, I was surprised to find that my review of a CDRW/DVDROM that mentioned that it would not play DVDs properly using Power DVD on a P3 600 system (well over the minimum requirements) was never listed. Though I found a solution (WinDVD) I though it would be a good thing to warn others if they wanted to use Power DVD they'd need another drive. But it was never listed in the reviews.

That was when I noticed that all of the reviews were now positive. This has been several months ago. I still use them, but I'm aware that the reviews are now useless, and I don't bother to read them.

Blackdog5555
08-04-2005, 11:40 PM
The EXCACT thing happened to me. I bought a NEC 3250A burner with Ridata 16x DVD...its burns at 4x only. I bought the product based on the 350 poitive reviews. They are incompatable and i wrote a clear warning to those who would consider the combo. The review was rejected. I was given a $15 discount and a $10 dollar rebate. BOTTOM LINE....DONT RELY ON NEWEGG REVIEWS...THEY ARE SCREENED OF NEGATIVE REVIEWS. Newegg does have some of the best deals in town and good customer service but thier sreeening of reviews is a form of consumer fraud.

LeadSpitter_
08-05-2005, 02:14 AM
New yorkers are the biggest whiners on the planet I should know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crazyivan1970
08-05-2005, 05:32 AM
OMG, this is just a thread, nothing weird about it. Don`t you think it`s not really honest to bury customer reviews that doesn`t go well with the raitings?
And second, you people post all kinds of stuff around here...and what, i am not allowed? You question my morality? Where in this thread i suggested not to buy from newegg? All i did is questioned their morality, no more then that. I use to buy from them before Magnum-PC came around, and i don`t have any negative emotions.
On the side note, you should be ashamed. You know why... i`ll tell you why... you buy from someone that offers you nothing but parts with ZERO support and refuse to buy from someone who dedicated years to this community, solving your hardware issues. There, i question you morality http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif How about that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Good day http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MEGILE
08-05-2005, 05:39 AM
I think we have found Ivan's weakness.

Capt._Tenneal
08-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Megile:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif pass it along...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

ytareh
08-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Man!I checked out this site and the prices were mouth watering with the weak dollar!But alas no international shipping!Anyone recommend a really cheap reliable online pc parts seller who ships (within ) to Europe?Ive used Komplett once or twicwe,average(but perfectly acceptable!) in every way(price,delivery etc)

Jumoschwanz
08-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Here is my definitive NewEgg experience:

I bought an amd Athlonxp3200 processor from them. A few days after I ordered it I looked at their website again and the price of the item had been dropped $100 dollars! This is common as a top-end processor ages a few months, but I was kind of sick to my stomach with my bad timing. I sent NewEgg an email telling them about it and asking if they could give me the cheaper price that I had missed by a few days, and they gave me $100 dollars credit back on my charge card!

They did not have to do this at all. Fair and square my bad timing had me pay a certain price for the processor. But for $100 dollars they bought themselves a fanboy. Lots of buisnesses never get this through their heads, that if you take care of your customers, they take care of you.

I returned some ram I bought from them once also that turned out to be not compatilble with my motherboard and I had no problems there either. With the volume of business they do I am sure there will be some customers that have problems, and any business should be watched, but I think NewEgg has a 99% positive feedback as far as customer service goes.

If they do screw up and start to treat customers badly, then I and others will shop elsewhere and they will simply go out of business, it is their choice to make.

For now I will keep using NewEgg, as the average joe can get stuff at near-jobber prices, and on many items they have free-shipping too.

Jumoschwanz

Capt._Tenneal
08-05-2005, 08:50 AM
I bought my last couple of vid cards from them too, and have had no problems. My wallet can't exactly handle a dual-SLI 7800 purchase just yet, so for my budget Newegg serves my needs. I tend not to go by customer reviews anyway. I prefer to do my own "reading up" on the hardware I'm buying and read more professional reviews in the PC and gamer publications and websites.

madsarmy
08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Megile:

Preying on the weak your kind of thing?

MEGILE
08-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by madsarmy:

..Yes?

faustnik
08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by madsarmy:

Natural selection is a good thing. It ensures the survival of the forum.

Udidtoo
08-05-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd be interested in seeing his 1st draft because if you actually go to NewEgg there is no shortage of unfavorable reviews and some of them are defo on the harsh side.

I myself have said some unkind words about some Sony headphones that IIRC I labeled the 'Clamps of Death' and likened to having a bowling ball tied to ones head.

As for morality question all you like since I no more answer to you Ivan than you do to me. I was all for giving Hunter some business for the very reasons you mention above. Then I got to the ordering form and like so many other businesses I skip over Magnum has a policy about how they ship to people in rural areas when their receiving address doesn't match their billing address.

Long story short it involves more paper work including faxes from my credit card company than I am wiling to go through when there are other businesses that simply ask "You want that express or regular?"

Most people who I know personally who live in remote regions like I do here in Arizona feel the same way about who gets their business. I have stated my reasons before in other threads and Hunter seemed to understand my position as I understand why his company policy is in place.

I know calm adult reasoning and respect are very out of place in this forum but it does happen from time to time.

BRASSTURTLE
08-05-2005, 11:00 AM
I have bought from NEWEGG with no trouble.
The WSJ article mentions RESELLERRATING.COM.

THEY, I have a big problem with.
2 years ago, i bought my second ever computer from a place called HYPERSONIC PC. Huge POS.
After several calls and a lot of language, they agreed to take the turkey back on their dime & give me a full refund.
I tried to post a review on RESELLERRATING.COM and it got pulled three times. I even got a late night call from a mgr @ hypersonic asking me to alter my review. when i refused, resellerrating pulled it.
they sent me a nastygram & even critiqued my choice of the term POS. They said my review would be more "believeable: if i didn't use that term.

IMHO, RESELLERRATING is not to be trusted as anywhere near as unbiased as they claim.
It was the vendor that asked them to pull the
review.

to this day, my review has not been reposted.
I later bought a rig from KC-COMPUTERS.com
and started flying IL2 shortly thereafter.

Just my .02

vocatx
08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Udittoo, that was my problem with Newegg. I live on a ranch, and the ONLY company that gives anywhere near reliable service out here is UPS. I had asked the woman at Newegg to please ship my parts UPS. That's when the run-around started. "We only ship bulk items UPS." Well, in my experience in wholesale/retail, you try to give the customer what they want, within reason. If they use UPS for shipping, and I did offer to pay extra if needed, why not accomadate? When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she hung up on me.

I ordered some parts for my rig from Magnum. When I explained the total unreliability of FedEx Ground in my area (the local FedEx driver doesn't even use his own company for shipping), they readily obliged. THAT is customer service, and they will get more of my business in the future, unlike Newegg.

And Ivan, don't let them get to you. You have been here a lot longer than me, and I already know there are some here who just like to stir sh**. I may not always agree with the calls you mods have to make, but you don't have an easy job to do here, and I sure wouldn't want to have your job. That's why they pay you the big bucks, man!

StellarRat
08-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Over the past 5 years our company has purchased well over $50K in various parts from NewEgg. Our entire PC infrastructure was built from NewEgg parts. I've also built five PCs for home and friends from their parts. They've NEVER screwed up an order and we get our deliveries within three days most of the time even though we only use Federal Express Super Saver shipping. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Their prices are good, selection awesome, and customer service is good too (although I've only had to call them once.)

VFS-214_Hawk
08-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Moderaters in here lock more threads like this or simular when its about UBI....this is owsome! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

arcadeace
08-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Ivan I think it€s as good an OT as anything else, and I€m glad to know about Newegg€s practices. I€ve had good experiences from them and will continue, but I am more wary. I only wish you posted it primarily for this reason.

There's been more patience and willingness from you Mods to allow a lot of OT regardless of their significance, and that's a good thing to me.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-05-2005, 04:56 PM
NewEgg rocks! You can find unkind words of products purchased there if you look. I have ordered dozens of times from newegg and never had one bit of trouble. Ship dates are excellent and customer service is top notch. And anyone that I have suggested they purchase thier hardware from newegg have been delighted. Ofcoarse you cant please everyone all the time.

Take this sim for example...many complain and call it **** but many love it. Its just how it goes.

repoman11
08-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I've been buying from Newegg since 2002 almost exclusively. But the point here is that they have made a change in policy recently, and in my opinion not for the better. My review was informative, and a Google search on that particular drive revealed that many people were having problem with playing DVDs on it. If I hadn't found that WinDVD software was able to play with no pauses, I would have had to return it. I even went as far as checking for a firmware update (the drive is a Sony CRX320E).No firmware update was available, and there was no way to make this drive work with Power DVD.

Blackdog5555
08-06-2005, 11:04 PM
All Ivan is correctly stating is that Newegg screens its customer reviews of negative post. THAT IS A BAD THING.

Over all they get a good grade considering that most most e-shops are very shadey.

steve_v
08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
you people post all kinds of stuff around here...and what, i am not allowed? Just got back form vacation, so apologize for the late response:

Heck NO you are not allowed.

sorry. just the way it is. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif