PDA

View Full Version : A few setup questions for controls

SevereSuckage
11-08-2008, 10:11 PM
hi. new here guys, a little help?

i am using my mouse to 'look around' while i fly. it seems to scroll pretty slow. can i change this in the game? or do i have to change that in windows settings?

2. while looking around sometimes my 'head' gets caught in a weird position and i can't get back to straight ahead mode very fast. i get around this by clicking F2 for an external view and then back to F1 real fast, but that seems clumsy. any other way to 'snap forward' when i get my mouse view in an awkward place.

3. why does the spitfire overheat so damn much? am i flying it wrong? i've flown about a dozen fighters and nothing overheats like the spitfire. i can't keep it above 80% for very long. all the other planes seem to run at 90-100% for a long time with no overheat. please please no mechanical schematics or historical discussions, i just wanna know if i'm pressing the wrong key or there is some "don't overheat you P.o.S button" i am not pressing? ;-)

4. what's the way to start getting to play online? i bought 1946 and patched it up. i know i suck hard, and i will get blown out of the sky in like 0.498 seconds but it's worth a shot. i'm sick of the computer blowing me up -- i want a more intimate and human experience when i die. hopefully someone to be like "haha noob u suck go back to flight training" in chat.

please answer my questions, and if possible give me a lot of grognard elitist attitude while doing so. GO! thanks

Deedsundone
11-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Ok it try to answer:
1:Go to hardware setup in il2 meny and then input.There can you adjust the mouse sensetivity.If you mean the scroll wheel,then you have to do it in windows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2:Go to control panel and set a key for "look forward" in snap view section.Then you want to adjust the speed for that in il2 config.Change the "speed" value as in this example.6 is default.Set it to 20,instant snap to forward view.

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
<span class="ev_code_RED">Speed=20</span>

3:No expert on that one but maybe you could play around with the propeller pitch in conjuction with the throttle.I leave that one to the experts.

4:Hyperlobby is your answer.
http://hyperfighter.sk/

SevereSuckage
11-08-2008, 11:19 PM
1. thanks
2. awesome thanks
3. hmm not sure how to do this. maybe i just fly p51 anyway. ;-)
4. eureka. thanks.

P.FunkAdelic
11-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Hmm well when it comes to engine management its not that hard to follow some general guidelines. Unless you're in combat you don't want your Prop Pitch at 100%. By lowering this you lower the RPMs of the engine and when these are high thats where your overheating comes from.

You have to get it out of your head that throttle is the only control over your engine (unless you're flying 109s, 190s, and late spits). Prop pitch at 90% with rads open and 90% throttle probably won't overheat too quickly especially with rads open. 80% for both plus full open rads would make it nearly impossible to overheat I'd think for almost any plane.

The other thing to consider is that you don't need to fly above 80% throttle once you're at cruising altitude. Lower it to 70% or so and you'll be surprised how fast the machine will still fly as long as you're not climbing anymore or just climbing very slowly. Prop pitch at 80% or so is a good cruising average. Just vary them a bit higher or lower until you see a good cruising speed.

Higher power is more for maintaining or gaining speed in maneuvers or climbs or forestalling the loss of such. Its hard to get at first but if you just force yourself to use the settings you'll get the hang quickly enough. And read about them too.

dirkpit7
11-09-2008, 03:35 AM
3. why does the spitfire overheat so damn much? am i flying it wrong? i've flown about a dozen fighters and nothing overheats like the spitfire. i can't keep it above 80% for very long. all the other planes seem to run at 90-100% for a long time with no overheat. please please no mechanical schematics or historical discussions, i just wanna know if i'm pressing the wrong key or there is some "don't overheat you P.o.S button" i am not pressing? ;-)

Spitfire Mk V overheats very easily, it's no fault from your side. Don't use use 100% prop pitch, use 80-90% and 100% only in zoom climbs or short times when you really need to. Same goes for throttle. Try to keep the engine cool when not in combat. Fighting in the Spit V is balancing at the edge of overheating all the time. And don't panic when the overheating message appears, as it takes a few minutes before the engine actually gets damaged.

Spitfire IX on the other hand does not overheat easily, only if you run full power for a long time.

Uufflakke
11-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Have you already visited Bearcat's thread "A Nugget's Guide To Getting Off The Ground"?
Info and links about Engine Management and how to get online and much more. A musthave for every newcomer!

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645

SevereSuckage
11-11-2008, 01:53 AM
P.FunkADelic gets the award for "elitist attitude".

Uufflake thanks for the recommendation. i read that post, it's got good info. unfortunately I don't remember much so i'll try again.

dirkplt thanks for the info on the SpitV that is exactly the plane i was flying and wondering why it was overheating all the time. I guess it's just a tricky plane to fly. i'm sure plenty of people disagree with me but i think the SpitV is annoying.

F19_Orheim
11-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by SevereSuckage:

In what way did he come out elitistic? He took the time and the effort to answer your question. and did so well. A "thanx" should be more in order.

Erkki_M
11-11-2008, 02:27 AM
My squadmate had similar problems with the Spitfire V - overheats like hell. The solution was to, surprisingly, use radiator open 80% instead of 100%("open"). There must be something wrong with it, as I can remember myself having the same trouble a few years back(reinstalled the game a couple of times since).

Crikey2008
11-13-2008, 08:43 PM
that's not elitist...this is elitist:

maximum power delivery for a Spitfire MkV is at or near 3000 rpm.

keep an eye on your rpm or better yet climb into a Vc and let its CSP do the work for you.

All the best.

Jex_TE
11-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SevereSuckage:

In what way did he come out elitistic? He took the time and the effort to answer your question. and did so well. A "thanx" should be more in order. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly - where on earth is this elitist attitude? Some kind of hole is coming to mind beginning with A...