PDA

View Full Version : Complete Beginner's Guide to Missions?

rfisher1976
02-13-2006, 05:29 AM
I only recently got a PC at home, and after reading a few recommendations I opted for Pacific Fighters (not having played a flight sim since the good old days on my Amiga!!).

My God, it€s not what I€d call user-friendly!!!!

I€ve watched a few of the tutorials, and had a few goes at some of the missions, but I€m having real difficulty in two specific areas:

1) (This is an easy one) €" How on earth do I complete a mission?!!!! €" I€ve set up simple missions, and tried the oines already on there, done (or missed) the objective and headed back to base, landed €" THEN WHAT??- is there somewhere I need to taxi to, or a button to press? €" the only way I can get out of it is to quit!

2) €" Bombing missions: I€ve tried a few (eg the pearl harbour ones) €" I€m fine with dogfighting, but when it comes to dropping bombs I€m screwed! €" I can€t even get the bomb dial/ info up. I€ve tried assigning buttons to the bombing functions, but can€t get to swap onto any of them!!!

Someone help this idiot, please!!!

PS €" I€ve seen the mission builder tutorials on the site, so I€ll give them a go soon.

Worf101
02-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi, welcome aboard. Don't feel bad, we wuz all nuggets once ourselves.

1. When you end a mission just hit "esc", you'll then be given your status and score.

2. What sort of interface are you using, Joystick, keyboard and stick. HOTAS? Go into the "input" section of the main menu and assign some bomb dropping keys. "Spacebar" fires by rockets, I've a HOTAS key assigned to my other weapons...

Worf101

rfisher1976
02-13-2006, 08:58 AM
But if you hit escape, the only option it gives you is to quit(? €" or am I doing something wrong)

I€m just expecting some €˜Mission Accomplished€ message on the screen?

BTW, I€ve got a joystick for the game, with plenty of buttons. Big problem is that I start a mission, say the Pearl Harbour one, and even though I assign buttons to every function in the bombing section of controls, I can€t manage to bring up the bombsights (or anything related to dropping bombs). Is there a €˜moron€s guide€ anywhere?

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-13-2006, 09:32 AM
The 'Mission Completed' messages appears when you in the game, flying for me. In the Difficulty settings there is an switch for Instant Success. I think that lets you get the Mission Completed once you hit your target/objective. Not sure when the Mission is completed if that's not on.

When you press Esc you do get that Quit menu. If you are flying a Career, it has a button that says Apply, to apply your mission results to the Career.

Here's a link that helps for the flight model, takeoff and landing: '
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5111047273

Check out the other forums, like General Discussion, Mission Builders, Oleg's Ready Room...

hamselv2
02-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Lots of tutorials here:

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm

VR_Cutter
02-13-2006, 02:00 PM
To get the bomsight view up simply switch to the bombardier station (cockpit #2) and hit the toggle gunsight key.

Zeus-cat
02-13-2006, 05:29 PM
The interface is a bit difficult to understand at first. Please keep in mind that the game was developed in Russia and was meant for many languages, not just English.

Bombing is pretty hard in this sim, but it can done quite well with practice. I recommend you learn how to "fly" some other planes before you try level bombing. Two of my campaigns (SBD and Rufe) will run in PF standalone - see below for download info.

Treetop64
02-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by rfisher1976:
I only recently got a PC at home, and after reading a few recommendations I opted for Pacific Fighters (not having played a flight sim since the good old days on my Amiga!!).

My God, it€s not what I€d call user-friendly!!!!

Well, you're making a huge step up in flight sims from the Amiga!

Let me guess: You had that old F-18 sim on the Amiga, right? The one that featured "Top Gun" music, and had you shooting down rogue MiGs over the San Francisco bay area? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Did you run it on 500 kilobytes of RAM, or did you upgrade to 1 megabyte? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif