PDA

View Full Version : Fokker D.XXI strange gunsight switching and general performance overview.

mortoma
10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Doing much better in this one now since I reduced my convergence down to 300 meters from 500. I'm going against the also new I-16 type 6 most of the time. I don't like the severe overheat problem it has though. Takes a while to get there but once it does you have to really reduce thottle to cool the engine and that's disconcerting during a dogfight with a faster aircraft. The cooling never seems to recover after that as you can't go back over 85 to 90% throttle without overheating.

It seems to have only fair handling but good enough to do the job. Of planes in it's era I like the MC.200 much better or the P-36 ( mod ) and even the G.50 has an edge in effectiveness over it as does the B-239 and Hurricane. It only eclipses the J8A Gladiator because it's faster but that's the only reason.

One very strange thing that is seemingly new to the sim is the phenomenon whereby you get different sights at different times flying the 'late' model. If I fly the winter ( QMB ) Slovakia map I get a tubular telescopic sight but if I fly the summer Slovakia map I get a reflector sight!!! This different sight on different maps is a first for me. Anyone else notice this?

Update edit: I also get the reflector sight swap flying the early model, just noticed.

Feathered_IV
10-04-2009, 09:01 PM
It's in the readme. Also a feature of the new Ratas too.

mortoma
10-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I didn't see anything about that in my four page 4.09m readme. I've read through it and looked through it several times now.

beNdeR__
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
In the 4.09 guide pdf, it explains that around 40% of the planes produced were equipped with reflector sights, and the others were telescopic sights. There is a randomization factor, whereby 2/5s of the time you will have a reflector, and the other times telescopic sight. For the new I-16, the number is 10% iirc, can't remember which gunsight has 10% probability however.

mortoma
10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by beNdeR__:
In the 4.09 guide pdf, it explains that around 40% of the planes produced were equipped with reflector sights, and the others were telescopic sights. There is a randomization factor, whereby 2/5s of the time you will have a reflector, and the other times telescopic sight. For the new I-16, the number is 10% iirc, can't remember which gunsight has 10% probability however. Hmmm, not in the rtf version. I'll look for the pdf.

Romanator21
10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
The funny thing with the Fokker is that there is no radiator control. If you want to increase power over 110% then you need to flood the engine with 120% mixture first. The extra fuel helps with cooling. Also, keep your speed up. It hasn't overheated on me yet unless I forget to over-rich.

na85
10-05-2009, 12:20 AM
The whole random gunsights thing is pretty irritating.

I find myself hitting refly over and over until I get a reflector gunsight.

Feathered_IV
10-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by na85:
The whole random gunsights thing is pretty irritating.

I find myself hitting refly over and over until I get a reflector gunsight.

Yes, they did that in real life too.

Viikate_
10-05-2009, 01:09 AM
The sight is only randomized if you have default skin selected. If you use for example these skins, then the sight is always fixed to historically correct one. For example FR-110 has always Revi.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...5410763/m/7491031497 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/45410763/m/7491031497)

mortoma
10-05-2009, 08:58 AM
They should have just given us two versions each of the early I-16s and Fokkers, instead of the silly random thing. I'm finding it irritating also.

Viikate_
10-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Welcome to Finnish army. You will use what is given to you and you don't get to choose. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

I don't like having totally irrelevant variants of same plane because of some very small difference. Besides I like to have a full flight of correct skins with correct sights and not artificial separation based on sight.

Just don't use the default skin and problem is solved. I don't use them ever if there is even one historically correct BMP available that fits the mission better than default skin.

And the sight selection is not exactly random. You can hit refly thousand times and you will always have same sight. Only changing mission parameters may give you different one.

Well if FC or MicroWave can conjure some new customization menu options, then editing of the ini file could be made in GUI and there could be option to set default skin sight to fixed Revi/Goertz.

LEBillfish
10-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
instead of the silly random thing. I'm finding it irritating also.

Various "random things" is something that has been asked for from day 1 with this sim and still is today.....It's a big step.

K2

DKoor
10-05-2009, 10:37 AM
What about Fokker overheat?

I've noticed it too, it's quite severe...

crucislancer
10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
instead of the silly random thing. I'm finding it irritating also.

Various "random things" is something that has been asked for from day 1 with this sim and still is today.....It's a big step.

K2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

I like it. It gives you the sense that you might not have the same plane all the time to fly, and in some cases you wind up with the one you donít want.

I tend to forget about the negative G cut out, so thatís the only thing thatís driving me nuts with the Fokker. I also did a QMB mission against the new I-16s, quite fun. I really like that Slovakia winter map, identifying a plane below you is really tough, I can see that one being a favorite online.

DrHerb
10-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by DKoor:
What about Fokker overheat?

I've noticed it too, it's quite severe...

Well, I guess we can start calling it the Overheating Fokker! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Viikate_
10-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I've never experienced overheating during winter. But in summer maps it seems to overheat pretty fast with full throttle. Probably should be modified in future.

Romanator21
10-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Like I said, it doesn't overheat if you over-rich it first. The random gunsights are great though, not a problem at all.

Bremspropeller
10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes, they did that in real life too.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Feathered is starting to catch up on Brain32 and Jaws http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Waldo.Pepper
10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:

Great big giant +1 from me on this issue. I love it, and want more! Random faults - jams - the whole lot please.

Originally posted by Romanator21:
Like I said, it doesn't overheat if you over-rich it first.

+1 Agrees with my experience as well. Romanator21 is right. Also no one in real life roars around at full power, except maybe on takeoff. Still the new birds don't need it to take off. Ease it off - save it for the fight.

Freiwillige
10-05-2009, 07:27 PM
While I must confess I have not tried the Patch yet, Its hard when your in the mid Atlantic in a type IX u-boat playing Silent Hunter III for all she's worth. But The new Fokker looks great! And If you want to make the gunsights random, Well this is your labor of love Viikate; Then make them random. I like the idea!

DIRTY-MAC
10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I had a real hard time hitting with the guns for some reason, never had that problem before.
maybe im not just used to it yet. but aiming seems a bit tricky with it.