PDA

View Full Version : question about symmetrical joystick setting

geekyfatkid
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
when I turn symmetrical off the plane seems to fly better less nose bobble. The problem is that when I fly planes with no rudder trim like the fw190 its near impossible to get the ball in the center. I need to use full left rudder at all times to get the ball close. Is there any way to fix this issue? when I look at the joystick options I can see that the green square is about an inch left of center where there is a red box now. when i turn on the symmetrical switch everything lines up in the middle.

x6BL_Brando
02-08-2011, 02:00 PM
It sounds as if your joystick needs re-calibrating. I'm not clear whereabouts the "symmetrical" on-off switch is located. Is that in the game or part of your joystick software?

What joystick are you using?

geekyfatkid
02-08-2011, 02:12 PM
it is in the game under hardware set up then input. it is a toggle switch under the sliders and above mouse sensitivity. I use a saitek X52 and have no idea how to re-calibrate I am a computer idiot when I was young we were still using the abacus.

Aviar
02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Just exactly which Axes are you disabling Symmetrical for?

Aviar

geekyfatkid
02-08-2011, 02:34 PM
I would like to try turning it off for all 3 ruder, elevator, and ailerons, but I have only started out with it off for rudder so far. I dont want to experiment with the others if I cant get it back in center with it off. I can go back to turning it on but it as I said it seems to eliminate some of the nose bobble when it is off

Aviar
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Did you read this in the 4.10 Guide?:

----------------------------
Symmetrical Switch

Some of the control axes behave symmetrically (or mirrored). For example you probably want
your ailerons sensitivity curve to be the same if you push your joystick to the left and right.
But it doesn't make much sense to do that for Power control, for example. That's where the
Symmetrical switch comes into play. Turn it off and the sensitivity will be applied over the
whole range of values without trying to make them symmetrical. In other words, ailerons and
similar controls have values from -100% to 100% and you want the sensitivity to be mirrored
around zero value. Power, on the other hand, is more logically described as a control with
values ranging from 0% to 100%. You probably want this control to have different sensitivity
response over the whole range.
-----------------------------

Your rudder axis is really not meant to be used with Symmetrical disabled. It just won't work correctly, as you have found out.

Aviar