PDA

View Full Version : Few questions from newbie..crew and mods

Sardaukar1967
03-30-2007, 03:47 AM
I used to play Aces of Deep, CAOD and SHI:CE a lot but only recently aquired SHIII.

First..what mod would you recommend for single-play ? I'm not interested about MP due to time-constraints.

I'm already very fed up with crew fatigue management in stock...to extent I downloaded non-fatigue cheat. Dammit, I'm the CO of the U-boat and I have XO/First Officer there whose job is to manage the crew !!

I did read that GWX is bit resource-exhaustive..and while I have a rig that mostly meets recommended level (processor speed is 10% lower than recommended, others are fine), I don't like the idea of crashes and lock-ups.
Thus I'm inclined towards the NYGM which also seems to address the crew management to playable level.

Secondly..what sot of qualifications you recommend to have for NCOs in VII-class boat ? I have one Flak-NCO, 2 Repair-NCOs, 2 Machinist NCOs, 1 Radio NCO (he's sonar man..I wonder if Radio-qualification help any there ?) and 4 Torpedo NCOs.

Thanks in advance for your input !!

Kaleun Sardaukar

geoffwessex
03-30-2007, 06:59 AM
I'd give GWX a go first, then if it causes too much trouble go back to stock and try the NYGM or WAC - find them in the SH3 - Tools, mods and online teams sticky at the top of the forum.

If your graphics card is up to it, that's more important than system RAM, though an increase in system RAM would help in all areas of your computer and it's not that expensive for an extra Gb.

My computer - with a low-spec graphics card -was actually ok with GWX until I installed patch 1.02, then I had all sorts of problems - possibly to do with SH3 Commander and SH3 Gen. I went back to stock game and am about to install War Aces Campaign (WAC) Light.

That arrangment of Qualifications for your Petty Officers looks about ok - The 'Radioman' does indeed double as the sonar expert and I use mine for that. In fact I have two, but it doesn't seem to make any difference who operates the radio, so I just rotate them on sonar, to make sure it's running as well as possible. There's a watchman qualification too, though it doesn't appear to make much difference however he's employed. Same with the 'Helmsman' qualification - seems to make no real difference. The 'efficiency' levels will rise when they're in the right places, but you can't use them as officers on the bridge or in the command/control room, so they seem quite pointless.... unless somebody else has seen differently.

Sardaukar1967
03-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks !!

I do have one NCO as Watchman too..forgot that.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GWX has gotten good publicity, so I probably try that. Memory or graphics card is no problem..just hopin my processor can handle the stuff. If I cannot run it satisfactorily, I'll go for NYGM, I guess. GWX is 700 Mb download and NYGM is 200, tho...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HeibgesU999
03-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I would go with RealUboat 1.45.

Greatly improves gameplay, and is not so research intensive.

There is also NYGM Tonnage War, which has a few more bells and whisles.

Regardless of the mod you choose, check out SH3Commander for editing your crew and career.