PDA

View Full Version : Using the Planes we Have, What...

capt_frank
03-09-2007, 04:11 PM
What would be the closest "comparison wise" to what was flown both sides during BOB, fighters only. I'm having trouble matching a Bf to a comparable Spit, given what we have to work with Spit wise.

Thanks

VW-IceFire
03-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Well the Spitfire Vb is the closest we have to the Spitfire I in BOB...but the Spitfire I had eight .303 machine guns and was a bit slower. About on par with the 109E depending on altitude.

Even the Hurricane Mark I isn't the best as its the Finnish Hurricane I that we've got and its a bit slower than the 1940 RAF Hurricane I. If you're looking for a good match around that time...the Hurricane Mark II (late 1940 historically) and Bf109E-4 are close enough for good online dogfights.

capt_frank
03-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks! I'll give 'er a go.

capt_frank
03-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I've been sparring the 109F-4 vs, the Spit Vc(4) and it appears to be a good match for speed.

Ruy Horta
03-10-2007, 10:36 AM
You could instead skip 1940 and have a historic 1941 Channel campaign, early RAF offensive ops. Planes are perfectly suited for that one on both sides, incl. bombers.

Xiolablu3
03-10-2007, 01:49 PM
SPitfire Vb/Vc2 vs Me109F4 is a good battle.

The Spitfire Vb overall being the worst Spitfire and the Me109F4 being the overall best 109 as far as handling and performance for the time period compard to other planes goes.

Therefore things are weighted in the Me109's favour more than a Spitfire Mk1 vs Me109E3 would be. However its a great fight nonetheless.

The veterans prefer the Me109, and the newer guys can still put up a good fight in the beginner friendly SPitfire.

The Me109F4 can dominate if the pilot is careful (The only thing the Spitfire is better at is turning circle), but if hes not so good, then the Spitfire Vb/Vc2 will come out on top.

Its definitely a great battle and brings feelings of RAF 'Rhubarbs' and 'Circuses' in 1941 - early 1942. ME109F4 vs SPitfire Vc2/Vb is definitely a classic matchup in IL2.

The RAF lost 4 times as many planes as the Germans in this period (1941, early 1942) when they were suddenly on the offensive and flying over enemy territory. (Any slightly damaged planes are lost and pilots captured, whereas German planes can land in a French field and be repaired and the pilot back at his base the same day)

JG53Frankyboy
03-11-2007, 01:36 AM
i like the Bf109F-2 vs Spitfire F.Mk.Vb match up in game.

the F-2 is not so good in performance as the F-4 , so the match is closer but still better for the 109F-2.
that the 109 canon is only 15mm (with 200 rounds) is balancing the only 60 rounds of the Spits Hispanos.
and than as Jabos the Hurricane Mk.IIb and Bf109E-4/B.

anyway, the IL2 series is not made to have a BoB scenario - not in planes, not in maps....... the trys i saw online make me mostly laugh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

well, in 2008 we can play the BoB till we cant the this scenario anymore http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif , so................ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xiolablu3
03-11-2007, 02:15 AM
You must be a much better shot than me, Frankyboy, because I find it really really tough to shoot anything down with the 109F2 armament. I always take the Emil as a fighter if there is no 109F4. The ingame 109E7/B can still outdive the Spitfire Vb and is a shade faster below 2000m, I believe.

The 15mm on the 109F2 just seems to have the same hitting power as one 50 cal. I guess thats right if they were using no HE ammo in the 15mm cannon, as its only 2mm bigger than the 13mm of the .50 cal.

People who complain about the .50's hitting power should try flying a 109F2 for a while. I always laugh to myself when I happen upon an IL2. I just know I am going to use up all my ammo and hes going to fly on unless I get a lucky shot. I hear there is a way to shoot out his oil cooler in the game, but I am not sure how to do that.

Do you aim for certain parts like the enemies cockpit when you fly the 109F2? Or do you just use it like the 20mm 109 armament and hit anywhere?

Ruy Horta
03-11-2007, 02:39 AM
The Mk V wasn't the worst Spitfire (or do you mean IN GAME), in many ways it was similar to the F-model, that is the best balanced model of the series.

The Mk IX was a superior weapon, as was the G-model.

capt_frank
03-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

I tried the Spit VB vs. the 109 F4 yesterday and it was quite a balanced fite. We prevailed in the 109 but wasn't a lopsided victory. It's interesting to watch the AI tangle, now if I can just get my wingman to watch my six a little better...

p1ngu666
03-11-2007, 08:38 AM
doesnt the spit vb ingame suck more balls than a AVN award winner?

AnaK774
03-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

People who complain about the .50's hitting power should try flying a 109F2 for a while. I always laugh to myself when I happen upon an IL2. I just know I am going to use up all my ammo and hes going to fly on unless I get a lucky shot. I hear there is a way to shoot out his oil cooler in the game, but I am not sure how to do that.

Do you aim for certain parts like the enemies cockpit when you fly the 109F2? Or do you just use it like the 20mm 109 armament and hit anywhere?

Xiola
IL2's oil cooler is beneath its nose. Easiest way of getting in reach of it is coming from low 6 on upward leg of B&Z. No need to waste mg151 rounds for it, even peashooters in 109 do damage it. Gives light grey smoke after hit, about 5 mins before engine starts squeaking and then stops.

And shooting with any gun in game, aim to vulnerable components of enemy plane, not just spray and pray all over it.

Xiolablu3
03-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
The Mk V wasn't the worst Spitfire (or do you mean IN GAME), in many ways it was similar to the F-model, that is the best balanced model of the series.

The Mk IX was a superior weapon, as was the G-model.

I mean when compared to the contemporary opposition. Compare the other Spitfire Marks in the years they were fielded :-

SPitfire mk1 was jointly the best fighter in the world at that time, along with the 109E

Spitfire MkIX was one of the best fighters in the world in 1943 along with the FW190, some others you could put up there depending on what you are wanting from a fighter.

Spitfire XIV was one of the best PROP fighters in the world in 1944, along with a few others depending on what you want from a fighter and exactly what month.

Spitfire MkVb was NOT jointly the best in its period in my opinion, the Bf109F4 was better, and the FW190A3/4 far better. Its this way in the game too, which corresponds with what I have read/researched.

Maybe the MkV handled nicely, but in the performance stakes in 1941/42, it was nothing too special when compared with the top German types, at least when you look at the other Spitfire Marks vs their opposition.

ANak, thx for your tips http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Xiolablu3
03-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by capt_frank:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

I tried the Spit VB vs. the 109 F4 yesterday and it was quite a balanced fite. We prevailed in the 109 but wasn't a lopsided victory. It's interesting to watch the AI tangle, now if I can just get my wingman to watch my six a little better... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get online mate, pick some good servers and you really see the qualities of certain planes come through.

This is one of my favourite 109F4 vs Spitfire V maps online :-

http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php...6&highlight=hastings (http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=10896&highlight=hastings)

On UKdedicated2 server.