PDA

View Full Version : Letter from Pappy

crazyivan1970
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Posted by VMF-214_Havok

I often get ask around Hyperlobby how Shawn aka Pappy is doing. Usually I can only say that last I heard from him he was doing well. His wife only gets to talk briefly and seldom and she usually feels me in. He is currently back in camp for a 1 week refit and took the time to post in our VMF214 forums. With his permission Im going to post his comments here. He was happy I brought it up. You are more then welcome to come to our site and post there if you like. If not I will copy your comments and post them for you. Please try to remember the situation he is currently in and that he has a wife and 3 small children. Please be respectful and keep your political opinion to yourself. Thank you very much:

"" Guys i am back for 7 days to refit. I am gunna lay down what has been going on in my life and how we sacrafice and how many things most americans take for granted. Yes it feels like i should be gettin on a plane to come home. Well Hillary cliton told gates we need more troops so this is there answer.

So you all know hell is a 100lbs ruck sack with a mountain always in front of you. I got so many pictures from over here but no way to send them with this bandwidth.

I have been living in a abandoned hajii house for last 3 months. It takes us about 7 hours to walk up there after our 30 day refits. We also have to walk back down to the valley creek bed and road to get ammo and resupply to hump it back up. It rained on us for 7 days straight and all our **** was wet and the building leaked. I have eaten nothing but MRE's for 30 days at a time and lost alot of weight. I cant find any fat on my body anymore. I have had 3 showers in 4 months and 3 min phone call on sat phone a week.

Just a few weeks ago we had the fiercest firefight i have experienced in the Korengal Valley. They shot at us for 45 mins and we never seen them, the apaches came in after a 1 hour flight and could not find them, we never see them only hear the cracks of bullets. We had a guy take 47 fragments from a RPG in his *** and his groin and side. They are phantoms they wear olive drab by day and man dresses and go back and cache there weapons away from there homes and go live like normal farmers.

Things u miss is just the **** you never thought you would. Like a toilet seat or a soft bed. You take so much for granted while in states. Only thing that keeps my santity after all the bull**** our platoon deals with is my Ipod with battery back up which i put a few movies on. Sleeping on rock and holly leaves just dont give you any good sleep. This is Vietnam but worse, in nam they had a easier time find and figuring out who is enemy, here they hit and run knowing air power and artillery is on way. Our pilots cant hit small groups of men like 3-5 man teams they are not trained or designed for that.

I got few months to go and i hope i make it through. I am trying to keep in together for my men but sometimes u just want to snapp on the idiots leading you. I hope my body can take it. I have never had knee problems in my life but 2 or 3 patrols a day and night patrolsgots my knees swollen and hurting.

I look forward to coming home and hanging out with you all. I am disappointed that so few stayed around or remain active. I thank all of you that stayed around. Well when i get home hopefully we can find some more dedicated friends to hang around

I am sorry but I think American's have forgotten about us. This is the new forgotten war i doubt much news is about stan only Iraq. I mean it aint like those guys leave the wire for max of 5 days and come back to phones, showers, green beans, burger king and px's. Tell now i went 4 months with no money at all and no way to get any. We get cigarrettes and stuff in mail here and hter and borrow to buy tabacoo from locals. I really dont have much to look forward too right now just getting home. This is hardest days of my life, specially writing on a day i should be flying home.

Keep it real guys i am trying still got a job to do and a mission here.

Help my wife she and my son are having a terrible time and she needs support cuz god ****ing knows there army wont help there support system constists of free bowling and tickets to baseball games, what a ****ing joke. ""

He is frustrated and his moreal is low. He has been over there for exactly 1 year. Remember he dont have access to the world opinion as we do, only from 3 min calls to his wife and Im quite certain they dont talk about politics or media.

Original thread is locked.... one step towards any political discussion will resolve penalty. This is our community member, hate him or love him, he is going thru hard times, serving his country... so, show support and leave it at that.

For anything else, please feel free to PM me or any other mod.

Thanks.

Bearcat99
02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Man Ivan... you must have locked that thread as I was posting in it basically saying the same thing.

crazyivan1970
02-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Sorry BC, please post it here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks Ivan I really appreciate it. I really hope those who previously offered their support will post it here again. I just want to say that Shawn is a very loving and generous guy. He absolutely loves to debate and argue. He is a very opinionated person and sometimes he would get carried away. He openly admits this. I use to get on him all the time. If he really thought he genuinely offended anyone in the past he would apologize, this I can guarantee. Some might remember is public apology here in these very forums for any past behavior that may have been offensive. It takes a pretty big person to do that. Anyway there is a man behind the tag and that goes for all of us here and sometimes typed words dont paint the appropriate picture of ones true self.

Thanks again,
Trevor

blakduk
02-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Pappy- hang in there dude, we've not forgotten you. You're many miles away from those you know but you're still close to them.

Do what you have to do (and no more than that),
-get yourself home safe,
-have some fun,
-then enjoy the arguments on the forums http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VW-IceFire
02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
The guy has my support. Thats the real frontline and its a shame that things have become somewhat forgotten. Afganistan is still number one on the news here in Canada so the world has not forgotten! Hang in there.

badaboom.1
02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Hello Shawn,Thanks for taking some time to write your letter,it really put things in perspective for me!I'll think of you and your fellow soldiers when I drive to work tomorrow as opposed to a 3 hr hike!!!

Shawn keep your spirits up,there is light at the end of the tunnel!!Hope to see you back on line soon!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

heywooood
02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Shawn aka 'Pappy'

Stay alive man and keep working.

Your efforts are appreciated and your mission is vital.

Do the best you can with what you've got and then bring your guys home.

I am with you 1000 percent- believe it.

leitmotiv
02-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I feel like hell supporting the actions in Iraq and 'Stan, but being too old (54) to join up and do my bit.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-28-2007, 08:03 PM
For those that do not know, Shawn is with the 10th Mountain Division out of Ft. Drum, NY. Previous to his army enlistment he served in the Marine Corps for 8 years I believe. He then was a riflemen instructor at Camp Pendleton. At the end of his enlistment he was seeking a new MOS and the only available was being a recruiter. He did not wish to do that so he opted to become a civilian. He and his family loaded up and moved back to his home town Omaha, Nebraska. He worked in a steel mill for a while and then another factory. Times were very tuff for them making the adjustment and financially it just was not happening. So he made the decision to join the Army with the rank of E-5 or E-6 (not sure) knowing what could possibly lay ahead. His family comes first and he would sacrifice what he had to.

At this point from my knowledge he has lost several friends and a former CO in action. His wife has neighbors and friends that lost their husbands.

Shawn wants me to post their men's journal march 2007 article. It features his platoon and its a good article. It does not mention anything about him but at time he was 2nd squad leader. He wants me to post the link or copy and paste entire thing there so ppl can see how their lives as soldiers over there is. I will do so shortly.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-28-2007, 08:13 PM
http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b7dc28b3127cce98548995ba6b00000047108AZtmLRozYuc

GreyFox5
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow - I mean what can you say here. I can say this for sure No one is forgotten or fogotten about that is for sure.

Man Pappy I hope to God someone is watching your back and vise-a-versa.

I wish there was something I could say or do to make this better for you but I just don't know what that would be.

Salute! and make it home to your wife and kids.

RAF74_Raptor
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Pappy Ive been there Stay Safe and keep your Head down

RAF74_Raptor
02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I worked with 10th Mountain when I was in 501 Airborne out of Alaska Damn good bunch of men there. Best Moutain Soliders Hands down and believe me there are some huge moutains in Afghanistan

Eagle_361st
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
A very heartfelt ~S! from a fellow "boot" who is still picking sand out of very unusual places. Keep your head down, and come home safe to your loved ones! You are not forgotten and God bless you!

buglord
02-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Be good to see ya back round here when you come back pappy , be well ,be safe ... Buglord S~

K_Freddie
03-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Keep you head down... A few bits of advice.

-Keep a sharp eye on the animals around you, notice their reactions normal and edgy. It'll be an indicator of the surroundings.
-Lack of animal activity or sudden activity is a sign of the unusual.
-Always stay on the windward side, downwind to obstructions, use your nose.
-Trust you instincts.
-Never follow the same patrol path more than once, vary it.

Remember you're out of your home turf, they have been doing this all their lives... You will not see them so observe the above. This is the nature of guerilla warfare. They're all around you, but you'll get to know who's who, but it takes time.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TC_Stele
03-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Prayers and thoughts are always with these guys. Stay safe.

stathem
03-01-2007, 01:41 AM
Best wishes out to Pappy. And Thanks.

DarkWingDuck...
03-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Well Hillary cliton told gates we need more troops so this is there answer.

Off course, nothing to do with Bush

Hope you stay safe, and regain some sense of self
awareness after the army brainwashed you

mrsiCkstar
03-01-2007, 03:05 AM
I don't know you Shawn but I hope you stay safe. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and wishing you well.

Good luck and take care out there!

danjama
03-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
Thanks Ivan I really appreciate it. I really hope those who previously offered their support will post it here again. I just want to say that Shawn is a very loving and generous guy. He absolutely loves to debate and argue. He is a very opinionated person and sometimes he would get carried away. He openly admits this. I use to get on him all the time. If he really thought he genuinely offended anyone in the past he would apologize, this I can guarantee. Some might remember is public apology here in these very forums for any past behavior that may have been offensive. It takes a pretty big person to do that. Anyway there is a man behind the tag and that goes for all of us here and sometimes typed words dont paint the appropriate picture of ones true self.

Thanks again,
Trevor

Well said! Good to know Pappy is doing good,i enjoyed flying with him loads of times, a laugh a minute! I know he will be ok and he will pass the trial.

StG2_Schlachter
03-01-2007, 07:09 AM
What HaVok posted surprises me. I didn't know the conditions for US-Soldiers are that bad in Afghanistan http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Pappy, I wish you the best and hope you will live trough this hell and make it home safely.
Letters like these make me wonder, why my government is refusing to help you guys down in the South and send soldiers there. Politics.

Thanks and sympathy from Germany.

erco415
03-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Pappy, you and your guys aren't forgotten, the newsies just havn't thought to use you yet. What do you guys need? Anything we can do to help? Praying for your safety and prompt return,
erco.

slipBall
03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
I hope that he returns home soon, and we could never thank him enough for his efforts. Ft. Drum, NY is my favorite grouse hunting area. The men and women there are always a great help to me, and I am so very proud when observing them in training

Maple_Tiger
03-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Pappy,

Glad to know your ok.

Worf101
03-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes, Afghanistan is THAT bad. Backwater war we tried to win "on the cheap" by "paying Peter to fight Paul". Only to find out thay no matter how much we paid, Peter wasn't going to kill his brother Paul for the U.S.. My niece did one tour there. She's out now, practically a non- functional alcoholic. State took her kids and gave em to my sister. It's all bad.

I hope this young man comes home safe, secure and sane. These are the times that try men's souls.

Da Worfster

Worf101
03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
PS

I knew "Fort Drum" when it was "Camp Drum". Before the 10th was reactivated and moved there.

Da Worfster

K_Freddie
03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
I glad you said it Worf, cos if I said it, the lot would banned me for being anti-USA. I'm afraid Pappy should have been rotated out of there 6 months ago - they have been forgotten !!!

XyZspineZyX
03-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Can we please stop with the politics and keep this thread as one of positive support for somebody? Can we stay focused for just a little while? Thank you

TC_Stele
03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:
Can we please stop with the politics and keep this thread as one of positive support for somebody? Can we stay focused for just a little while? Thank you

You expected too much from this crowd, I think.

Worf101
03-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:
Can we please stop with the politics and keep this thread as one of positive support for somebody? Can we stay focused for just a little while? Thank you Err what did I say that was "Political"? I mentioned "strategy" and it's short comings. I mentioned no politician, no political party. I don't get what you're saying. I served, my Uncles all served, my niece served. What did I say wrong?

Da Worfster

K_Freddie
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
This is a SUPER HOT POTATO.. what were you thinking - that people would just lie down and say it's OK http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif.

If we want to get Pappy home, we have to talk, shout it out aloud. Can you not see that letter is an indirect call for help!, something the military does not like to see.

You may now lock the thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MEGILE
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
This is a SUPER HOT POTATO.. what were you thinking - that people would just lie down and say it's OK http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif.

You may now lock the thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Maybe you have learning disabilities, or maybe you forgot to put on your reading glasses.

This is not a political forum, or a political thread.
It is not a place to voice your opinions on the current political climate, foreign policies or war strategies.

It is not because 1) this is not a political form, and 2) Political discussions ALWAYS degenerate into an infantile mud slinging contest.

This thread is for us to take a moment and say..

hey Pappy, you are in harms way, doing your job, serving your country.. and I'm thinking of you.

XyZspineZyX
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:
Can we please stop with the politics and keep this thread as one of positive support for somebody? Can we stay focused for just a little while? Thank you Err what did I say that was "Political"? I mentioned "strategy" and it's short comings. I mentioned no politician, no political party. I don't get what you're saying. I served, my Uncles all served, my niece served. What did I say wrong?

Da Worfster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Say wrong?

You're worried about nothing. But let's keep this thread about Shawn and keeping up his spirits instead of bringing up all sorts of things http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

K_Freddie
03-01-2007, 10:31 AM
It's dark outside, you may take off your sunglasses http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AVGWarhawk
03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
We are pulling for you Shawn!!!!!! My family has not forgotten and truly appreciate your efforts!

horseback
03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I was 13 when my Dad left for a year-long tour in Vietnam; that was December, 1966, and Dad returned to us barely a week before the Tet Offensive, so I can speak from the heart with the voice of experience. The one useful thing we can do for Shaun besides upholding him in our prayers is doing what we can for his family, and the families of the other men deployed overseas in their country's service.

Bluntly, things are materially better for the dependents now in some ways, but IT ALWAYS SUCKS FOR YOUR DAD/HUSBAND TO BE FAR AWAY, OUT OF TOUCH AND IN GREAT DANGER & HARDSHIP, and an extra ticket to the movies or gift certificate to McDonalds can never make up for it. His house needs maintenance, his kids need help with homework and the emotional safety that a real man around the house provides, his wife needs emotional and social support (just a normal circle of reliable friends-there is a likelihood that most dependent spouses are far from home and the family and community support that we might normally assume was there).

My family was fortunate in our church community and our neighbors, and my Mom's family was less than two hours' drive away while Dad was in Vietnam, but most military dependent families are not so lucky, especially today, when fewer people are involved in their churches or community.

There are ways to help out. Look for them. It may be as simple a thing as mowing the lawn, or shoveling the snow off your neighbor's walk, or suggesting to your significant other that the soldier's wife could use a friend to talk to.

The amazing thing is how much better you will feel for doing it.

cheers

horseback

AVGWarhawk
03-01-2007, 12:49 PM
@horseback

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Well said!!!

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Damn dude...hang tough. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

BaldieJr
03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
The very wind you stir picks up momentum till it becomes a gale force in friendlier parts of the world.

Hang tight brother. Keep your chin up and don't let the bastards get you down. You're important to us all, though some of us may not know it.

JadehawkII
03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Hey Pappy,
First, I want to thank you TWICE for serving our country when you already served it once.

My Dad was in Nam back in 1965 because someone saw my dad was on the US Army Pistol team and figured he would do well there.
I think he did well there even after he came home on a hospital ship with shrapnel in his back from a VC shell that exploded behind his platoon.
Still has a piece too close to his spine in there, but he's my Dad and I'm proud of him and for his 23 years of Army service.

So don't ever think no one has forgotten you as I certinly wont and like the rest, keep your head down and your butt covered. As for your wife and kids, HANG IN THERE! I admire your courage to stand by your man in these trying hard times. Keep in mind, he's worth it for you and family. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Copperhead310th
03-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Havok if you get to hear friom him again, tell him to stay safeand we're praying for his safe return.

Oh and if he can get a few rounds on target for me i'd be greatfull. Just tell him to face east and shoot at Pakastan. He's sure to hit a bad guy in that direction with out much effort. lol

RAF74_Raptor
03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
Havok if you get to hear friom him again, tell him to stay safeand we're praying for his safe return.

Oh and if he can get a few rounds on target for me i'd be greatfull. Just tell him to face east and shoot at Pakastan. He's sure to hit a bad guy in that direction with out much effort. lol

LOL How I agree Brother How I agree and shawn also send a few down range for me too tell em I said Hi and Give My Warmest Regards and by warmest regards I mean call in an airstrike

I have not and will not forget you or any of my brothers and sisters I swear this too you.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Thank you all very much for taking the time. I know reading your comments will give him a pick me up.

ploughman
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Good luck Pappy, watch those knees and stay frosty.

BSS_Goat
03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Havok if you PM me a APO address I'll send him a care package. Don't post it here just PM it to me if you have one. To any of ya'll that don't know you can ship to an APO anywhere for only about $7.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by BSS_Goat:
Havok if you PM me a APO address I'll send him a care package. Don't post it here just PM it to me if you have one. To any of ya'll that don't know you can ship to an APO anywhere for only about $7.

PM sent. Thanks

Monguse
03-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Be well Pappy, stay safe.

We have not forgotten you or others that are away from home.

Taylortony
03-02-2007, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BSS_Goat:

PM sent. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pm me one too and I will send him a little bit of England http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Taylortony
03-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Taylortony:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BSS_Goat:

Pm me one too and I will send him a little bit of England http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It will be a little different and make a change from the stuff he normally gets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eagle_361st
03-02-2007, 06:50 PM

PM me that info as well and any special requests he may have so I can send him a care package.

Tator_Totts
03-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks Pappy for doing a bad hard job. It is unselfish people like you that we get to enjoy our freedom. I can not find the words to express how grateful I am.

God Bless

Mike Ringler

TSmoke
03-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Well all I can say is hang in there Pappy, because you are not alone.

Being Canadian and having a ton of military friends, Pappy is going through the same thing that alot of my friends are.

Everybodys tours are being extended and rotation dates left in limbo. Many friends were due home about this time and recieved the kick in the pants news...3 more months then maybe home.

There are a few other friends who returned to civvie street, only to be recalled with being stationed at your choice of location, only to shipped back to Afghanistan six months later.

It's a mess and I hope that all remain well, and can return home soon.