PDA

View Full Version : Auto Bombing for lazy Guys?

Oz_Canuck
10-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Just wondering...I'd like to fly some bomber missions and get the feel of the big planes without going into the whole bombsight thing right now. Will the bombs of the players plane release over the target along with the rest of the AI wing, if I stay at the pilot seat? I plan to try this out later when my FMB skills are a bit better. Any recommended bombing missions?
Thanks

jetsetsam
10-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Select autopilot (the "a" key) before your group starts dropping bombs. Then use the shift+F2 and ctrl+F2 keys to move between views to watch the action.

You can use the in-game dynamic campaign generator to fly bomber missions or use Missionmate or Uberdemon's quick mission generator, both of which you can find at airwarefare.com, which also has lots of missions and campaigns.

If your computer can handle it, massed night-time bombing runs are a blast. You can even drop some napalm for extra pyrotechnics.

Oz_Canuck
10-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Ahh..autopilot is the trick...I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks!
Thanks for the tips...I'll be trying out the mision generators as well.
Cheers!

Mosin_91
10-18-2005, 09:03 PM
I was where you are now. It takes a couple of missions, but once you learn the bombsite, it is the funnest thing in the game because you have something to do while en transite. Plus when attacked you can switch between all gunners.

Go to QMB and just practice bombing airfields. Try and hit the hangars. Start with russian TB3. You must manually release bombs there. Once you have mastered that, try Heinkle or Mitchle. It has auto release.

Umid
10-19-2005, 12:57 AM
is there cinematic camera to watch the most interesting action at the moment automaticly?

WOLFMondo
10-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Level bombing is actually very easy to learn. Takes about an hour in the QMB to get the hang of it. Its worth it.

cueceleches
10-19-2005, 05:33 AM
Is bombing in autopiltot mode accurate?

Breeze147
10-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Spinner has created excellent training for the B-25. I'm trying it now and it is very comprehensive. Pick it up at Airwarfare.com in the Guides section. Includes training missions and tracks.

Thanks, Spinner!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

JerryFodder
10-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Yeah but the autopilot is not available on the online servers correct? Not to mention that there is no course setting for it to follow on them anyway.

I'd like to bomb from time to time and find myself skip or dive bombing with various results. Anyone got any tips?

jetsetsam
10-19-2005, 09:33 AM
I almost always fly bombers online. Usually it's low level so depending on the size of bomb I set the bomb delay to 1 or 2 seconds. For high level bombing without the gunsight, get into external view and then use the mouse to look down and ahead of your plane with the target in site. Push the "l" button for level flight, then it's a matter of getting use to the time and distance it takes for the bombs to hit.

I've set up all my gunsight commands with VAC which makes it easy to fly the plane and use the gunsight.

The AI is probably more accurate because it can do the calculations better than you can operate the gunsight as far as airspeed etc.

VC81_GLIDER
10-19-2005, 10:31 AM
The AI is probably more accurate because it can do the calculations better than you can operate the gunsight as far as airspeed etc.

That may be true but I have found that the AI will not fire as it should. There have been numerous times when I have jumped in the tailgunner position to find an aircraft right on my six and the AI tracking but not firing. In several of the cases the bogey is so close that I killed the pilot immediately when I opened fire. The AI seems to do a terrible job of protecting. This may be due to the settings chosen by the mapbuilder so I cannot say with 100% certainty why it is like this. All I will say is NEVER trust your AI to fully protect you. The tailgunner especially seems to fire in short bursts with an inordinate amount of time between bursts.

As for watching the action someone asked about a cinematic view. In FMB you can place cameras in any location and at any altitude you want. If external views are enabled you can toggle thru the views for all of them. This is how we setup for practice bombing so that can see the exact location of the bomb hits when doing high level bombing (> 10,000 FT). You can also record the track and review it in the same manner.

And yes in most servers "autopilot" is not available. However level hold is always available to the best of my knowledge. You can assign any key to it in the controls section- I think the default is "L" or at least that is how I have mine setup. I have found that it is best to set level hold at 100-150 ft above the desired altitude as it will drift down before it fully stabilizes. In the B-25 I use combat flaps while in level hold otherwise it seems to continually drift downward in alt. Once you are level and stable you can use your rudder trim to make slight course adjustments for final lineup on target.

As for auto bombsight- yes it will work if you are in the pilots seat. However you generally have to tweak it constantly to make it track properly due to slight changes in airspeed or elevation. Also I have found that you have to have less than a 60 deg angle before it tracks accurately. I can, with auto sight, consistently hit and sink a destroyer from 10,000 ft. The real trick is to do this manually. There is a limitation on the auto bombsight as well in that it has a minimum altitude at which it will work (around 850 m if I remember correctly). As others have mentioned airwarfare.com is an invaluable source for information. If you really want to have some fun bombing do it manually. The bombsight table built by WT_Pedropan & WT_Pitr of the White Tigers Squadron is a most excellent tool for manual bombing. And btw- if any of the White Tigers are reading this please pass along my hearty thanks for such an excellent utility!! I also use it for navigational purposes as it gives you true airspeed when the proper altitude and indicated airspeed are entered. You can also enter distance and it will give you the eta (time to target). Another advantage manually bombing has over the autosight is that you can salvo your bombs- just be aware that you cannot select which bombs you salvo. The autosight drops your entire bomb load at once. In manual, depending on your loadout, you can drop in multiple salvos giving you the opportunity to hit multiple targets in a single sortie. It is a must have if you are doing low alt level bombing as this must be done manually. I have used it as low as 500 ft and found it to be dead on. For instance in a Betty I dropped from 250 m using the Table and sank a PT Boat in one pass. That is how accurate the table is when used properly. You can download this from airwarfare.com at:

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/files/essentials/Bombsight_Table_2.zip

You'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

Oz_Canuck
10-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, there certainly are lots of enthuiastic bomber fiends out there...thanks for the info...I'll definately be trying out the bombadiers seat.