PDA

View Full Version : 1C Inks deal with Ageia

Mr_Blastman
06-29-2006, 10:39 AM
http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/press.jsp?id=1151323090169

Looks like Oleg has decided to go with Ageia.

To me, this is a shame, since all the reviews so far of the Ageia card have been very negative - it has created more framerate lag than benefit so far - not to mention the HEFTY pricetag of 250.00+

Personally I would have liked to see 1C go with the Havok physics engine which is more practical.

With Dual Core processors becoming the norm in the near future, there really is no point in having an addon card that just does physics processing, when the software could simply utilize a second, third, or fourth core on the processor within your own PC to do the physics calculations. The havok engine does just this - and also is looking to do some of the calculations on a GPU as well.

Ah well, time will tell - maybe Oleg can pull it off and push physic to yet again another level in flight sims like he did with IL-2.

MEGILE
06-29-2006, 10:43 AM
it doesn't say Oleg is using Ageia for BoB.. it just says as a Publisher/developer 1C can use the technology.. and seeing as it publishes quite a few games in the CIS there will likely be other games which utilize the technology.

I haven't seen the Big O comment on this yet... maybe ask him in ORR.

crazyivan1970
06-29-2006, 10:45 AM
It`s too early for any conclusions. Besides, if 1C decided to go with it, does not mean that Oleg will.

Troll2k
06-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Ubi has been on board for a long time.Also 1C and Oleg are not the same.I am not even sure if Oleg has decided on 32 bit vs 64 bit or single core vs dual core let along a ppu card.

WTE_Galway
06-29-2006, 05:24 PM
I was under the impression the frame rate issue was because the physics processor worked TO WELL and there was too much detail being generated for low end cards to render ???

I also cannot understand why having an optional piece of hardware that can give you more detial than otherwise if you CHOOSE to use it is a problem.

Case 1 .. BOB without physics chip support gives quality X

Case 2 .. BOB with physics chip support still gives quality X but can improve to Y with a chip

Aside from the ego thing of not being able to boast online about "maxing" your settings ... you are no worse off

Freelancer-1
06-29-2006, 11:03 PM
C'mon folks cut Ageia some slack!

This is the first baby step of a new tech. All these issues will be solved and then some. I'm looking forward to a year or so in the future when it's had time to mature.

Look at the first video cards and then look at how much they had advanced in just a few years. I believe the same thing will happen with these physics chips.