PDA

View Full Version : Can't choose smaller install size

capital_l
10-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Hi there,

I'm trying to install Revelation on a machine with a very small hard drive (12gb). I've cleared out the 3.5gigs the minimum requiremsnts call for, but when I run the install program I can't find an option anywhere to change the install size. The program just keeps asking me to find another drive with the 12 gigs of space it wants. How do I tell it to install the minimum necessary to run the game? I'm running Win98.

Thanks,
L

AFGNCAAP
10-02-2004, 03:29 PM
I don't think you can do it with less (even with minimum install). It needs the extra HD space to decompress the files you need. Suprised that you can run it at all with that small a hard drive.

capital_l
10-02-2004, 03:44 PM
If the box the game came in says that the minimum requirement is 3.5 gigs of space, I should be able to install on only 3.5 gigs of space, don't you think? Anything else is misleading advertising and therefore illegal.

Why in the heck would it uncompress 12 gigs of stuff if it can only store 3.5 of it, anyway? I understand if it's all going to stay in memory, but if that's the case that extra 8.5 gig should never need to be written to the drive in the first place.

L

Almlys
10-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Capital_l, are you sure that you can't see the minimum install option?

Also be aware that, your Operating System will need always some extra free space to maintain the swap file, temporany files and other stuff.

capital_l
10-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi Almlys,

Some of the forum posts I've read have mentioned a configuration window that I've never seen - is that where you can choose the minimum install? For me, right after I choose the location I want to install to I get a window containing a list of all of my drives. This list tells me how much space I have available in each (4gig) and how much space I need (12gig). The message above the list says that I don't have enough space for the options I've selected. I don't ever see any dialogs asking me to select which options I want to install. I've looked around for it by clicking back and forth in the install wizard but I haven't found anything. Maybe its not in an obvious place? I would love it if the problem was that I just didn't notice the "options" button somewhere.

And yes, I understand that the OS needs some swap space to function correctly. I've freed up closer to 4 gigs for that very reason. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
L

Relego
10-02-2004, 04:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by capital_l:
Hi there,

I'm trying to install Revelation on a machine with a very small hard drive (12gb). I've cleared out the 3.5gigs the minimum requiremsnts call for, but when I run the install program I can't find an option anywhere to change the install size. The program just keeps asking me to find another drive with the 12 gigs of space it wants. How do I tell it to install the minimum necessary to run the game? I'm running Win98.

Thanks,
L <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if this is exactly the problem you were having, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

When I first tried to install the game I change the default install directory, once I did this I got a notice saying that there was not enough space on the drive and I needed to free more space (even though I had 5 Gigs free). At that point, I would click OK and the install would freeze.

I then tried to install the game again but this time I did not change the default install directory. I could now get to the next screen where I could select which install to use (Full or Minimum) and I could successfully install the game with the minimum selection.

capital_l
10-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Aha! I chose a non-default install directory too! I'm going to go try installing again right now.

capital_l
10-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Relego, you've just made my day. I chose the default install folder this time and the installation is proceeding nicely. Thanks much!

Capital_L