PDA

View Full Version : "Storm of War" update mode. Suggestion.

BG-09
09-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Hi everybody!
Hi Oleg!

We all know that the good things cost money!
So the "Storm of War" will be updated with no free add-ons. Free add-ons are enemy to the quality - we all know that. Oleg's team must be motivated and stimulated with money! We live in cruel and material world!
Oleg mentioned, that "...afther "Battle of Britain - Storm of War", we will pass through the World War Two once again..." Oleg, You realy must do it again! Because the outstanding quality of "Battle of Britain - Storm of War", must affect all flyable aircrafts in to the growing simulator! Well, let me suggest to You and Your team, how it will be best for all of us updates of the simulator to be done.

My idea is such:

1. "Battle of Britain - Storm of War - 1940"
2. "Storm of War - 1941" - "pay to fly" add-on.
3. "Storm of War - 1942" - "pay to fly" add-on.
4. "Storm of War - 1943" - "pay to fly" add-on.
5. "Storm of War - 1944" - "pay to fly" add-on.
6. "Storm of War - 1945" - "pay to fly" add-on.

It is easy to find my idea - this great simulator to be expanded on equal steps - war year by war year. New models of arcraft must to be introduced in to the battlefield smoothly and to apear just on the right place in to the right time!

That is all from me for now!

All best to You Oleg, to Your team, to our Great Community!

Regards!
BG-09

JG52Karaya-X
09-29-2007, 07:22 AM
It would IMHO be better to have dedicated scenario packs instead, such as the already planned MTO expansion (first addon for BoB-SoW). What I'd also like to see is a Spanish Civil war addon and a Battle of France pack (too small to be a real addon perhaps with mostly new flyables but no new maps), then of course also a big eastern front addon, a nightfighter expansion and sometime down the road a new Pacific Fighters kind of iteration

VW-IceFire
09-29-2007, 08:06 AM
I think I like the idea of scenario packs instead but I think the overall idea of continually adding on to the base product is sound and I believe Oleg already wants to do this.

What I hope for is a solid manner in which each new addition can be plugged into the original product.

DKoor
09-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
It would IMHO be better to have dedicated scenario packs instead +1

I see it as best way to do the job.

Completely.

WN_Barbarossa
09-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by BG-09:
My idea is such:

1. "Battle of Britain - Storm of War - 1940"
2. "Storm of War - 1941" - "pay to fly" add-on.
3. "Storm of War - 1942" - "pay to fly" add-on.
4. "Storm of War - 1943" - "pay to fly" add-on.
5. "Storm of War - 1944" - "pay to fly" add-on.
6. "Storm of War - 1945" - "pay to fly" add-on.

I don't think that this Fifa /05/06/07/... structure would fit for any war related game, especially not for SoW.

Military never cared about New Year's Eve.

Chivas
09-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Oleg has already stated that BOB will only be first in the line of theaters in the SOW series.
His idea of doing theaters in much easier than doing addons by year. They never were intended to be free either. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Its strongly rumored that the Med would be the next theater in line.
SOW BOB
SOW Med
SOW Pacific Theater
SOW Eastern Front
SOW Strategic Air Command
etc,,are a few possibilities.
Doing it by theater would require much fewer maps and aircraft to be produced for each addon. eg. if as you suggest doing it by year, 1941 would require Eastern front, Med front, and Pacific maps, not to mention all the required aircraft. Making the addons by theater spreads the maps and aircraft required evenly for each addon.

If all goes well he hinted at making it a combined arms sim.

It would be nice if by the time the whole series is near completion, they could combine all the maps into one flyable map, when computers are powerfull enough.

~Salute~
Chivas

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2007, 02:12 PM
It would be prudent to first secure for yourself a copy of the sim, and then worry about add-ons

I cannot understand the speculation about add-ons to a product we haven't seen yet

I also beg pardon, but I certainly do NOT know that "free" means poor quality

Chivas
09-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Its not speculation...Oleg said that he would be doing many of the WW2 Theaters in the SOW series. Of course if he doesn't make money on the first installment of the series we probably won't see any more. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Wildnoob
09-29-2007, 04:38 PM
the Pacific theater with the planes that where missing in IL2 series with the SOW engine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Chivas:
Its not speculation...Oleg said that he would be doing many of the WW2 Theaters in the SOW series.

I know this. I'm the one who's been telling people this for two years.

Add-ons before the sim comes out is putting the cart before the horse. People behave as if Oleg hasn't given a moment's thought to anything except what he's doing right this minute. It's not going to hit the man like a thunderclap that there could be add-ons. But people act as if they have just thought of it for the first time, and they better tell Oleg

Rjel
09-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:
...But people act as if they have just thought of it for the first time, and they better tell Oleg

What's the harm in that? Or would you rather have a dead forum? At this point in the life of IL2, whether someone enjoys the sim and continues to fly it, it's done development wise. To continually discourage newcomers' ideas is self defeating. Everyone seems to agree that flight simmers are a small gaming minority. Yet, time and again, it appears we exercise little restraint when someone new comes along with an idea. Maybe you and I have seen it discussed a thousand times before, but a newcomer probably hasn't. Why chase them off?

Chivas
09-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
Its not speculation...Oleg said that he would be doing many of the WW2 Theaters in the SOW series.

I know this. I'm the one who's been telling people this for two years.

Add-ons before the sim comes out is putting the cart before the horse. People behave as if Oleg hasn't given a moment's thought to anything except what he's doing right this minute. It's not going to hit the man like a thunderclap that there could be add-ons. But people act as if they have just thought of it for the first time, and they better tell Oleg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This info isn't widely known so people speculate. Its quite simple for those of us who've been here forever to give them what little info we do have.

La7_brook
10-01-2007, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Chivas:
Oleg has already stated that BOB will only be first in the line of theaters in the SOW series.
His idea of doing theaters in much easier than doing addons by year. They never were intended to be free either. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Its strongly rumored that the Med would be the next theater in line.
SOW BOB
SOW Med
SOW Pacific Theater
SOW Eastern Front
SOW Strategic Air Command
etc,,are a few possibilities.
Doing it by theater would require much fewer maps and aircraft to be produced for each addon. eg. if as you suggest doing it by year, 1941 would require Eastern front, Med front, and Pacific maps, not to mention all the required aircraft. Making the addons by theater spreads the maps and aircraft required evenly for each addon.

If all goes well he hinted at making it a combined arms sim.

It would be nice if by the time the whole series is near completion, they could combine all the maps into one flyable map, when computers are powerfull enough.

~Salute~
Chivas so your saying you think the MED will be say 42,43,44 etc then move too the Pacific Theater etc 42,43,44,45 then move too next Theater?

Chivas
10-01-2007, 10:35 AM
The year shouldn't matter that much as long as you have the aircraft required for building operations in that period.

Each addon will require a new map/maps and additional aircraft to cover the time period. This I believe would space out the work required for each addon. Doing it by year would require to many maps to be built in the first addons, assuming that maps take longer than aircraft. It all gets rather complicated especially in the Pacific Theater. This also depends on how large complicated maps can be made to work with reasonable frame rates. Don't bother mentioning FSX...as FSX dumbs down the low level detail to accomplish this.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I'm sure Oleg has put alot of thought to it, and the community here can offer some ideas.

Although continuation of the SOW series depends on how well BOB sells and how long Oleg wants to continue.

runeman
04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
In the picific theater you may fly the b-17 and b-29 that would be COOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Choctaw111
04-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Each installment is by theater, not by the year necessarily. Oleg has talked about this and definitely makes the most sense for reasons already stated here.
If you do it by year, then several theaters could open up simultaneously (way too much programming at one time), but if you do it by Theater, it is just that one, and your done till the next Theater is finished. Then you sell that one. One at a time.

Danschnell
04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Although I agree that it HAS to be done by theatre (otherwise all the maps would have to be made at once,) I think the 'by year' argument has some importance.

The thing I've never liked about 'by theater' add-ons is that they very rarely complete the picture. They are specific, so they take the most 'popular' part of that theater, and recreate only that popular part. The rest is ignored.

To become the first TOTAL simulation of the Battle over England, so we could say it was done, there would have to be more years represented than just 1940.

1940 was the biggest year, but the 1944/45 period also saw some major action. There was the 'Little Blitz' for example. And it was quite different, and worthy of inclusion. The planes were different. There was the He-177 heavy bomber here, and the Ju-188. These are planes that have not been in any IL2 before! In 1945 there were operations around England still. We had the He-219 night raids on British bomber bases, the attacks by He-111 with V-1 rocket attatched underwing, the Arado 234 was used over England too, even in the last week of the war.

Then the English and Americans had many planes over northern France which flew from England. There were Black Widow night fighters, Gloster Meteors operated nearly only over England (as they were reserved to attack V-1 rockets.) High altitude versions of the Spitfire intercepted special high altitude German planes too.

All this was special to England, but because it wasn't the MAIN part of the Battle of Britain, it was never included in any sim... so SOW could be the 1st!

KG66_Gog
04-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Pay to fly? Do you mean that to fly on-line people will have to pay?

The very nano-second that this game becomes pay-to-play will be when I kick it to the kerb!

I have much more important things to spend my money on and a lot more fun pursuits that won't cost me money.

Foolish suggestion.

WTE_Pharoah
04-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Oleg please just let me know when they are coming out (approximate times are all I ask) so that I can add whatever the price is to my budget! :P

runeman
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
when is storm of war out in shops and stuff? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

runeman
04-16-2008, 09:37 AM
is any one here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

runeman
04-16-2008, 09:42 AM
hay have you got any idear what planes you might fly like the b-29 and stuff....Raf33 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif