PDA

View Full Version : Way Cool Sound Set-up

Freelancer-1
04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure if this is old news, but I havn't seen any threads on it so here it is:

I just picked up a Plantronics DSP-300 USB headset.

Because it's USB you can keep that nice set of 5.1 Klipsch's plugged into the sound card. So... you can have the game playing in all it's glory while the headset is on teamspeak. It really improves the sense of immersion for me as it seems more realistic having all the sounds coming from outside the headset and all you hear on the headset is the person your talking to.

A little thing perhaps, but it really does make a world of difference.

Tully, if you happen to read this maybe you can tell me an easy way to map the push-to-talk button to the "pinkie switch" on my X45. I do tend to mutter inappropriate things at times while in the heat of battle.

EJGr.Ost_chamel
04-05-2005, 09:13 AM
There is no need to buy an expensive USB headset for this. PCs can handle multiple soundcards, so you just have to plug in a second cheap (old?) soundcard and use it for TS while your first card handles the game sound.

Greetings
Chamel

ImpStarDuece
04-05-2005, 09:25 AM
I have a "Creature II" speaker set that i pocked up for about 10,000 yen (thats 100 US or so) and man do they make the game sound better! I bought the set that comes with the sourround sound package. 4 speakers and one big mutha of a subwoofa.

All of a sudden I started wondering if people that complain about the sounds in FB have a decent sound set up at home. Sure the in game quality isn't that great but when I crank the voulme and take off in a P-47 my deskop actually vibrates. Don't even start me on what happens when i actually pull the trigger!

Deacon352nd
04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Will this work if you have onboard sound in addition to a sound card? If so, how would you set it up? Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Freelancer-1
04-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Deacon352nd, I'm pretty sure that since you have to disable onboard sound for a sound card to work it's probably not possible to set it up that way.

nickdanger3
04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Deacon, you certainly can. That's what I do. USB headset for comms and speakers for sounds and I have only onboard sound. I'm running windows 2000 and I don't know if it would work using xp. Pick up a cheap Logitech headset and try for yourself - only $30.

georgeo76
04-05-2005, 05:25 PM
2 sound cards and USB headsets seem like a lot of trouble when a set of 5.1 headphones sound better than all but the most expensive set of speakers. This (http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=110&code=023) is what I use, and w/ the optional mic, your set to go.

EJGr.Ost_chamel
04-06-2005, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deacon352nd:
Will this work if you have onboard sound in addition to a sound card? If so, how would you set it up? Thanks in advance to all who answer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know what you are exactly asking for. But if you are asking how to set up two sound cards in a PC, I can tell you that there is nothing difficult in it - just plug in a second soundcard and start the computer. Works with two PCI cards and also with onboard sound + 1 additional PCI card. You do not HAVE TO disable the onboard sound to use a sound card! Disabling is often recommended as usually an additional card replaces the onboard sound - so there is no use to waste any resources on the not used onboard sound in this case.
Of course I can't guarantee that this will work with every possible combination of components. But I had a mobo without onboard sound until recently and I used two soundcards on it (1x Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun + 1x Soundblaster 128 PCI). Now I have a mobo with onboard sound (nforce2 SoundStorm) and use this sound exclusively. But when I set up the system I tested the SB 128 PCI too and it worked flawlessly together with the onboard sound!

Greetings
Chamel

LuckyBoy1
04-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I hear the silent scream from the sucking sound at the CPU cycles due to yet another unneded software emulated sound device running.

x__CRASH__x
04-06-2005, 07:23 PM
You guys really are into throwing a lot of money at a problem to find a solution, aren't you? I accomplish the speaker/headset set-up with a jack spliter! Cost's only a couple of dollars and does everything you have done.

p1ngu666
04-06-2005, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
You guys really are into throwing a lot of money at a problem to find a solution, aren't you? I accomplish the speaker/headset set-up with a jack spliter! Cost's only a couple of dollars and does everything you have done. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

uve been ripped off, mine cost 12p, about 25cents http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://www.emotiveexcellence.com/ < best speakers in the world, designed by my dad http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

yours for $60,000 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif