PDA

View Full Version : P-39 Performance

Tailbutcher
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Did the P-39 use a supercharger? If not, at what altittude did the engine start to suffer from lack of not not having a supercharger?

Tailbutcher

Tailbutcher
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Did the P-39 use a supercharger? If not, at what altittude did the engine start to suffer from lack of not not having a supercharger?

Tailbutcher

faustnik
07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
It had a single stage supercharger that fell above at 12,500 feet.

On later models power rating was improved and altitude performance didn't fall off until 15,000 feet.

HVCpt-PALATINVS
07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
The Army Airforce made Bell do that, along with shrinking the air intake and shortening the wings. Whoever made that call ruined a very promising and advanced design.

VW-IceFire
07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
I had read an article about why they did that. It was because of promising research on aerodynamics and making the plane really streamlined so that it would go 400mph without all the fancy gear. Except that it didn't and with all of the extra weight from armor and guns and ammunition it turned into quite the average performer for interceptor duty.

So I think they had a good reason but they didn't really understand what they were getting themselves in to.

Xiolablu3
07-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I htink it was quite a good performer down low, hence why it did well on the Eastern front and is quite good in game with most fighting taking place around 8-9000feet

On the West front a plane was deemed pretty useless for a fighter unless it was good at high altitude (up to 25-30,000 feet), which was why they didnt rate the P39 and also the Typhoon being relegated to ground attack.

JugHead-usmc
07-11-2007, 07:54 PM
In the book Attack of the Air Cobra, the Russian's loved it killed a lot of germans I believe the Germans sent the Green Hearts after the cobras, but the book was a little bias to the Russians.

VW-IceFire
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JugHead-usmc:
In the book Attack of the Air Cobra, the Russian's loved it killed a lot of germans I believe the Germans sent the Green Hearts after the cobras, but the book was a little bias to the Russians. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think they thought it was great because it generally out turned a 109 down at low altitudes, it had a big 37mm cannon in the nose, the radio was of good quality, and the landing gear was good for operating and taxiing on poorly prepared front line airstrips. Perfect for the Russians.

Sillius_Sodus
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I like the Cobra. Offline, in the Pacific, it can't out turn a KI-43 but it can outrun it. Against A6M's it's a little trickier because they are faster, but it's still not hopeless. It really helps if you can start the fight with an altitude advantage. On the Eastern front it's pretty well matched to the opposition, except the IAR's, which can turn on a dime. Decent guns and good cockpit vis.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

Grey_Mouser67
07-11-2007, 09:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I had read an article about why they did that. It was because of promising research on aerodynamics and making the plane really streamlined so that it would go 400mph without all the fancy gear. Except that it didn't and with all of the extra weight from armor and guns and ammunition it turned into quite the average performer for interceptor duty.

So I think they had a good reason but they didn't really understand what they were getting themselves in to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never read that but if that is true...seems pretty short sighted...I would have thought that the plane could have closed in on 400mph but it would have had to reach 20,000 ft and beyond for that kind of performance to begin with to even have a chance and there was no chance with no supercharger...seems kind of odd.

What prop plane (in military configuration) was first to reach 400mph at 12,500 ft? My guess would be the Typhoon.

Grey_Mouser67
07-11-2007, 09:10 PM
In real life, the P-39 had many advantages over the A6M2's it faced, but that all ended at 12,000 ft...it was faster, could dive better, could climb better, had better roll rates and high speed manuvering and of course more firepower and was tougher...problem was it didn't have range and zekes from Rabaul often came to visit Guadalcanal at 20,000 ft and above.

Whirlin_merlin
07-12-2007, 01:20 AM
At flying legends I saw my first every flying P39. I was taken by surprise, it appeared a wonderful airplane, agile and powereful. I feel the poor little p39 has been over shodowed by its cousins, P51 etc. After all the Russians found good work for it, when playing to it's strength.

Salute to the P39.

flakwagen
07-12-2007, 02:50 AM
I like to use it as a bomber interceptor online. It's hell on JU-88s and ME-110s.

JG53Frankyboy
07-12-2007, 03:28 AM
i can remeber some PortMoresby VOW2 COOP missions , in those the P-400/P-39D-1 realy had proplems to reach the at 6500m flying Betties , and to fight the even higher patroling Zero Model21s too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

at lower alts, the Airacobras ruled, if they didnt went in slow high-AOA fights with the Zeros and Oscars.
the P-39D-2 is a brute killer...............

alert_1
07-12-2007, 03:39 AM
P39D2 with 20mm canon can be real surprise even for Me109G2 jocks...

JG53Frankyboy
07-12-2007, 03:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alert_1:
P39D2 with 20mm canon can be real surprise even for Me109G2 jocks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
its one of the best planes of the ingame year 1942...............
if its poweroutput is 1942 related.

R_Target
07-12-2007, 04:28 AM
At Port Moresby they had to send the 39's and 400's out to sea, away from the attack, to climb to altitude. I believe they were called the Port Moresby Fishing Fleet.

Vipez-
07-12-2007, 06:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grey_Mouser67:
In real life, the P-39 had many advantages over the A6M2's it faced, but that all ended at 12,000 ft...it was faster, could dive better, could climb better, had better roll rates and high speed manuvering and of course more firepower and was tougher...problem was it didn't have range and zekes from Rabaul often came to visit Guadalcanal at 20,000 ft and above. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure the Zero climbed better, however..