PDA

View Full Version : ACB Content

Rogue Agent 035
07-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Forgive the thread title, I wasn't sure exactly how to label it, but at the moment I'm bout halfway through ACB an given what I've seen an heard so far I find it rather odd that Roman Catholicsm is(was) viewed in the light that it was in ACB. Granted..., many of the things they talked about (being punished for certain inapropriate behavior among other things) did in fact happen, least that's how the history books taught us in school/college. However, I must ask..., even though Ubisoft primarily marketed ACB for most the adult market, I'm sure that there are a few "Minors" that convinced mom er dad ta buy em ACB, which..., lets not get it twisted, I have no issue with that, done it myself when I was a kid, it's just that many of those things (which outta respect I will not give any examples) are in a nutshell, a bit on the perverted side. Lastly, I by no means am putting anyone down, I myself am of the catholic faith an was taught as many of you were to be respectful of ones own beliefs an followings. I just thought I'd throw this out there since it's been ringin in my brain everytime I use ACB an then go back an do the research. I will kindly step down now off my soapbox an welcome any other views/opinions.

JDumas

NORTHBOERN1
07-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Sniper12_350:
Forgive the thread title, I wasn't sure exactly how to label it, but at the moment I'm bout halfway through ACB an given what I've seen an heard so far I find it rather odd that Roman Catholicsm is(was) viewed in the light that it was in ACB. Granted..., many of the things they talked about (being punished for certain inapropriate behavior among other things) did in fact happen, least that's how the history books taught us in school/college. However, I must ask..., even though Ubisoft primarily marketed ACB for most the adult market, I'm sure that there are a few "Minors" that convinced mom er dad ta buy em ACB, which..., lets not get it twisted, I have no issue with that, done it myself when I was a kid, it's just that many of those things (which outta respect I will not give any examples) are in a nutshell, a bit on the perverted side. Lastly, I by no means am putting anyone down, I myself am of the catholic faith an was taught as many of you were to be respectful of ones own beliefs an followings. I just thought I'd throw this out there since it's been ringin in my brain everytime I use ACB an then go back an do the research. I will kindly step down now off my soapbox an welcome any other views/opinions.

JDumas Isn't it funny how the people who hate faith always revert back to this time period to get their point across.

AdmiralPerry
07-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I think you can blame that on the modern day sex scandals you hear about on the news. Also, Pope Alexander VI was not a good pope--history shows that, too. Under his leadership, it's only natural the Catholic church would've hit a period of decline, which is what I think sort of provided the basis for the Romulus missions. People were leaving the church because of the corruption, and the followers of Romulus were terrorizing them back to the church. It probably is exaggerated to an extent, but I think the intent of the game is to show the potential dangers of letting one man have too much power, and also expose some of the problems that organized religion face. To me, it's more like a social commentary rather than a dig/attack.

P.S. Just want to add in that I am also Catholic, pretty much born and raised one. *fistbump with first poster*

Rogue Agent 035
07-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by AdmiralPerry:
I think you can blame that on the modern day sex scandals you hear about on the news. Also, Pope Alexander VI was not a good pope--history shows that, too. Under his leadership, it's only natural the Catholic church would've hit a period of decline, which is what I think sort of provided the basis for the Romulus missions. People were leaving the church because of the corruption, and the followers of Romulus were terrorizing them back to the church. It probably is exaggerated to an extent, but I think the intent of the game is to show the potential dangers of letting one man have too much power, and also expose some of the problems that organized religion face. To me, it's more like a social commentary rather than a dig/attack.

P.S. Just want to add in that I am also Catholic, pretty much born and raised one. *fistbump with first poster*

Same to ya brother..., Yeah, ya hit on some good points, I thought the point, or purpose rather of the Romulus missions were to illistrate the same point, but what I found to be of an even more attention getter outside the mission(s), were the Heralds. Many of the things they talked about were what brought this whole subject into my mind, an just wondered just how sly the developers were in slipping in some of their announcements.

JDumas

AdmiralPerry
07-08-2011, 04:53 PM
I thought about the heralds, too, especially that one announcement about the lay of the little boy of Brescia (pretty sure that's what it is). Heck, it's probably just a joke or a satire or whatever on the developer's part, since the priest sex scandals were all over the news last year. That's the one that comes to mind immediately--were there any others that were notable? I think I'm going to have to unequip my current cape and get Ezio notorious again to hear the different messages.

Bipolar Matt
07-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I thought it was Grecia? Greeks were known for man-boy love relationships throughout history.

Crouching.Tiger
07-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Although not shown in the game, according to the novelization of the game (according to the game's wikia), Julius II, who became pope after Alexander VI's successor, the Borgia-supporter Pius III, somewhat mysteriously died after just a few months of papacy (Pius is strangely not even mentioned in the game, nor the book, apparently), was a supporter of the Assassins and sought to make Rome a nicer place.
Thus, the Catholic church never really was seen as an enemy in the games (not even in the first one), the Templars are seen as a separate organization that has infiltrated the church. Sure, it may not portray the church in a particularly positive light (and don't get me started on the "history" of the Pieces of Eden...), but I don't think it gets any worse mud-slinging than any historical person or group.