PDA

View Full Version : DELL Inspiron 9100 and XPS laptops. No DVD PATCH!

xnighter
10-17-2004, 01:33 AM
i am in a bit of a double jeopardy here, firstly, i have a laptop (dell inspiron 9100 gaming machine with ati 9800) and as if it was not bad enought (meaning laptop vido cards not being supported in myst 4) i have dvd+rw dw-r56a dual layer dvd recorder (this is what the device manager says i have) with nero 6 installed. i would like to know if i have any chance at all of running myst 4?

Grehn
10-17-2004, 07:53 AM
I can't speak for the DVD writer, but I'm running the game on an Inspiron 9100 notebook without any issues (other than bug-related ones!).

xnighter
10-17-2004, 12:08 PM
hi, it is so nice to hear from you that myst just might work on 9100!!!!!! but what about dvd burner???? my dvd came standard (well, i ordered 8X instead of 4X speed) with the laptop. didn't yours come with a dvd burner?????
and i assume you have the same video card as me(ati 9800 with 256 MB) or do you have another card???? please, tell me. so many people are having problems, that i almost gave up on myst, but i feel quite hopeful now. hope you will have a minute to give me details. thanks.

maztec
10-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Get the latest firmware update for your drive and give it a whirl.

I have an 8x Sony in my laptop and it works fine.

xnighter
10-26-2004, 12:44 PM
myst 4 seems to work fine on the 9100 inspirons with ati 9800, but major problems if you have the previous ati video card that is 9700, with this card you simpky can;t play the game.
check this out
http://notebookforums.com/archive/index.php/t-43711.html

maztec
10-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Someone with a 9700 try a different driver version? Omega drivers or whatever?

xnighter
10-30-2004, 03:14 PM
is there a tentative release date for the patch?????

maztec
10-30-2004, 03:39 PM
this next week. I do believe.

xnighter
11-03-2004, 03:26 AM
amn't i happy now that i did not install the patch!!!!!!! but how could i install it since i haven't bought the game yet!!!!! once in a while i drop in here see people still pulling their hairs out and all frustrated and i loose all the desire do buy it. well...i am almost done with doom. so what is next for me half-life 2 or myst 4???? myst probably more interesting, but considering all the problems i guess it will be half-life 2, they claim it to be an adventure (acton adventure to be precise)game too, you know.

ta ta

PS i was ready to buy, i was just waiting for the patch that fixes all the problems to come out. right........

---
Consider this an expletive in the UBI direction, unless stated otherwise. he he

xnighter
11-03-2004, 03:29 AM
by the way, does ubi say how long is myst 4? makers of doom 3 say that their game is 30 hr long (i guess if you pass every monster without a hitch). please let me know if you happened to come across this kind of info. thanks.

xnighter
11-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Call me stupid, but I went and bought the game, and it is after all the known problems. Bur let me tell you!!!! Glory, glory.....this game is incredible!!!! I would be so pissed off if after I had got a glimpse of it, it stopped working, but luckily I was able to do the complete install (8gigs), and play and explore a little bit without any problems. I have read people complaining about horrible graphics on LCDs, but it looks fantastic on mine, no complains here at all. This game is not simply incredible , this game in the league of its own. Sometimes I use the word incredible relatively, meaning that I know that the game supposed to be good because I played other games and I compared and came to conclusion that there is nothing better on the market, but myst 4 is incredible in absolute terms!!!! I know that there are other good games out there, but I don€t care. No desire to stray off. I am settling down. I am taken now. This game is the most interactive game of all. I realized how uninteractive Doom 3 was after i got the glimpse of Myst 4. Myst is like those books in the Harry Potter's world, pages talk back to you, pictures interact with you and act things out. UBI€s sins of poor programming, debugging and bata testing are forgiven. Go UBI and sin no more.

Here is my machine:
dell inspiron 9100 laptop ( similar to XPS laptop, except for the XPS has 3.4 processor instead of 3.2 and XPS€s screen is of higher resolution)
3.2 prosessor
15.4 LCD 1280x800
ati mobility radeon 9800 video card, driver version 6.14.10.6467
sony dvd+rw DW-R56A double layer dvd recorder, with the original (version #1) firmware
and i do have nero installed on my machine.

walt_scRIVENs
11-06-2004, 09:18 AM
FWIW, I have the same config as xnighter and Myst IV is running fine. DO NOT install the 1.01 patch unless you want your graphics to get totally messed up! I don't understand why they would issue a patch for a two year old video system that would so completely hose the current one.

walt

xnighter
11-06-2004, 07:30 PM
aha! i was about to ask a question about this, because i was wondering if i should install the patch to correct some timing problems. so if i understand you correctly i should forget the patch1 for now because it ruins the graphics and wait for the patch2 which hopefully be better. is this correct? and how do i work around the timing bugs some people reported? from what i understand these bugs relate to myst proper and not the hardware. thanks.

xnighter
11-15-2004, 10:28 PM
hello, everyone!

i have not installed the latest patch (1.02 that is) but i have installed "no DVD patch" (http://help.support.ubi.com/MystIV_DVD_Fix.zip)and it seems to work wonderfully, no problems so far. now i don't have to have myst dvd with me all the time and risk demaging it. not needing dvd in the drive to plame the game is VERY, VERY convinient. of course, people who will attempt to install this patch should rename the two original files with the word backup (or whatever you like) in their names, and not simply overwrite the original files with the patched ones.

Grehn
11-16-2004, 05:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xnighter:
myst 4 seems to work fine on the 9100 inspirons with ati 9800, but major problems if you have the previous ati video card that is 9700, with this card you simpky can;t play the game.
check this out
http://notebookforums.com/archive/index.php/t-43711.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true! My 9100 has the 9700 card in it and the game ran fine - bugs aside.

-Grehn