PDA

View Full Version : What did you not like about AC2?

j_p_brooks81
04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
First, I want to say that I completed everything in this game. I absolutely loved it! Truelly one of the best gaming experiences I've eever had. However, there are a # of things that I did not like.

1. Desmond is a huge ****** compared to Ezio and Altair. His outfit is really bad, he looks wimpy, and his personality is quite annoying.

2. Nearly all of the cursing sounds forced into the conversation like the characters are cursing just to curse. It never feels naturally spoken. I don't know, maybe the cursing is just acted out poorly.

3. I didn't like the treasure locations. I thought it was really cool that you could rob little boats, but a treasure chest located in the corner of a guarded, insignificant courtyard doesn't really make any sense. It would have been cool if they were placed inside windows that you had to reach into and search through, much like the little boats.

4. The notoriety system made absolutely no sense. Stealth kills with no one around raises your notoriety, but sword fighting and killing guards in public doesn't. The placement of the wanted flags makes no sense either. They should all be placed at ground level. People aren't going to climb up on buildings and ledges to look at it.

5. Lucy's mouth is really big in proportion to her face

6. Sitting on your butt in Animus world teaches you how to freerun and fight somehow. That's kinda stupid. You have to physically train and condition your body to do that, not sit in a virtual reality machine.

7. The only people in the gondola's are the operators. Where the heck are the passengers? Why in the world would the operator jump in the water and kill himself when you climb up on the gondola?

8. I came across lots of glitches. There are certain spots of the gondola you can not climb up on. Instead Ezio starts jittering real fast. At one point, I was on top of a building and several guards kept spawning. I killed about twenty of them while standing still and they kept respawning in the same spot. Chapters 12 & 13 are filled with tons of glitches.

9. Rodrigo Borgia is a lard butt and a weak final boss.

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now. I totally loved this game, but the listed things above kept it from being my favorite all-time game. It's still pretty close though.

What did you not like about the game? What would you have changed?

El_Sjietah
04-09-2010, 01:56 PM
6. Sitting on your butt in Animus world teaches you how to freerun and fight somehow. That's kinda stupid. You have to physically train and condition your body to do that, not sit in a virtual reality machine.

This has actually been proven false recently. Concentrating on working out trains your muscles just the same as actually working out.

I agree on all the other stuff though.

Alex_HS
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
- Having to buy weapons, why cant i keep the one the guard i just killed dropped?

- Ezio's outfit, seriously not fitting for the job.

- Everything outside the animus, story, characters, etc.

- Level design (i missed the vast kingdom) and graphics (inferior to AC1).

- Silly missions (carnival games and stuff like that).

I liked the style of the first game better, the idea with the assassins bureau and the investigations was alright, i wish they had kept it similar but made the investigations unique, diverse and.. better.

Murcuseo
04-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by j_p_brooks81:
First, I want to say that I completed everything in this game. I absolutely loved it! Truelly one of the best gaming experiences I've eever had. However, there are a # of things that I did not like.

1. Desmond is a huge ****** compared to Ezio and Altair. His outfit is really bad, he looks wimpy, and his personality is quite annoying.

The D man is meant to seem inexperienced, he's on the outside looking on so his perspective is completely different. You don't see enough of him in the game to make an accurate assumption of who he really is... you start to see at the final cutscene what hes really made of... play through again and you'll see what i mean http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

2. Nearly all of the cursing sounds forced into the conversation like the characters are cursing just to curse. It never feels naturally spoken. I don't know, maybe the cursing is just acted out poorly.

The cursing is in Italian, from the way you type I'm prosuming you're not Italian so its not surprising it may sound forced to you... the way you swear might seem that way to an Italian.

3. I didn't like the treasure locations. I thought it was really cool that you could rob little boats, but a treasure chest located in the corner of a guarded, insignificant courtyard doesn't really make any sense. It would have been cool if they were placed inside windows that you had to reach into and search through, much like the little boats.

Treasure chests full of money dotted about the place are generally a bit of an odd thing, the guarded ones are there to entertain you while you search for them

4. The notoriety system made absolutely no sense. Stealth kills with no one around raises your notoriety, but sword fighting and killing guards in public doesn't. The placement of the wanted flags makes no sense either. They should all be placed at ground level. People aren't going to climb up on buildings and ledges to look at it.

I completely agree with that one, the way they were set up was a bit odd lol

lmao eh, ok... I didn't notice, not to say its such a bad thing tbh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

You die in the Matrix, you die in the real world...same **** really lol

7. The only people in the gondola's are the operators. Where the heck are the passengers? Why in the world would the operator jump in the water and kill himself when you climb up on the gondola?

lol fear can make people do strange things, but aye... some passengers and the ability to swim might have been handy.. was swimming invented in the 1400's?

8. I came across lots of glitches. There are certain spots of the gondola you can not climb up on. Instead Ezio starts jittering real fast. At one point, I was on top of a building and several guards kept spawning. I killed about twenty of them while standing still and they kept respawning in the same spot. Chapters 12 & 13 are filled with tons of glitches.#

Theres plenty of little bugs about the place but considering the size of the game there isn't as many as there should be.. the same thing happens with certain parts of the bigger boats aswell...just a glitch..yeh, fix it!

Totally agree, the final fight was seriously disappoiting but I doubt thats the last we'll see of him... he ain't dead and hes obviously got the smarts to make a fierce come back

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now. I totally loved this game, but the listed things above kept it from being my favorite all-time game. It's still pretty close though.

Personally I would have made the factual information available in game a lot deeper and certainly more interactive. I think thats a matter of resources though... not sure.

Coop would have given a completely different aspect to certain missions, even if the other person you were fighting with was an NPC...so, Coop plz...loads of it lol

A more complicated and varied combat system, I mean AC II combat is fine but it leaves you feeling a little detached from the decisions that were made.

I can't be botehered typing anymore but thats a few of my thoughts lol

maniacjunkiez
04-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I didn't like the fact that Ezio was rather empathic. He confessed things like "I do not want to kill you, but I have to" and alike. Would be much more exciting if he was more like a psychopathic killer who enjoyed what he did.

Engioc
04-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Totally agree here, Desmond isn't really that good, and is often an annoying destraction from the animus.

Didn't notice that but better voice acting is always a good idea.

Totally agree, chest were is strange places where they made no sense, a chest full of money should be in some kind of secure location and I do like the idea of them being inside homes and you need to open windows to get them. The banks were also a good idea but you cant have that for all chests. They should always be indoors.

Well I thought it was quite good and I liked it a lot more than AC1, thought it made more sense, but I did notice times when your notoriety went up/or didn't go up and times when it should of. Maybe this is more of a bug that should be fixed in a patch?? I would certainly like to see this system improved by making it more regionalised to where the crime is committed and who, if anyone, sees you committing it. This should also be dependent on the seriousness of the crime, word of a serious crime should spread more quickly, at 100% indeed the entire city would know, not just the local area.

I don't see any problem with this one as these days this is possible, so they say.

Totally agree, some should have passengers, some not so its realistic. Also normal people, guards etc need the ability to swim too, maybe not everyone because some people may learn to swim, others dont, but people shouldn't commit suicide because you've jumped on, I'm thinking GTA here, some people fight back, some people run, some just dont care and continue on, maybe some request payment and are happy to taxi you somewhere.

8. I came across lots of glitches. There are certain spots of the gondola you can not climb up on. Instead Ezio starts jittering real fast. At one point, I was on top of a building and several guards kept spawning. I killed about twenty of them while standing still and they kept respawning in the same spot. Chapters 12 & 13 are filled with tons of glitches.

Well I've noticed plenty of these sorts of problems and others too, eg the levers in the tomb that become invisible, but I suspect most of this is due to bugs that should be patched, I hope.

Yeah he did seem a bit weak as a final boss but he did have power of the Piece of Eden on his side so his physical appearance isn't that important.

Originally posted by Alex_HS:
- Having to buy weapons, why cant i keep the one the guard i just killed dropped?

Agree, would like to of kept some of these weapons instead of being forced in to buying. We should have the choice but maybe not all of these stolen weapons we would want to keep. Perhaps some should be in poor condition or other reasons why we need to make the choice between stealing or buying our weapons. I could seem this kind of thing becoming a mission too, break inside some armory to steal better weapons like what brutes have. Also why was it only armor that breaks? Weapons should break too giving us more reasons to keep buying or stealing.

- Ezio's outfit, seriously not fitting for the job.

Cant see any problem with his outfit, what should an assassin wear?? I dont quite understand the problem, in what way would you change his outfit??

- Everything outside the animus, story, characters, etc.

The story outside the animus is fine, but the characters themselves need some work.

- Level design (i missed the vast kingdom) and graphics (inferior to AC1).

The graphics were fine for me, but I did miss the Kingdom from AC1. I would like to see a more connected world with the countryside in between. In AC2 we did have the mountains but that was a very linear map and we spent almost no time there at all, wasted map. I'd like to see a more free open country area and I'd also like to see the load screens removed and make it one large map instead of X number of separate maps.

- Silly missions (carnival games and stuff like that).

I loved those missions and I'm glad AC2 had a more colourful bright atmosphere. I enjoyed the darker setting of AC1, but that doesn't mean AC should always be set in times of despair, the renaissance was a great time and it made sense that there was more colour and cheer in the streets.

I liked the style of the first game better, the idea with the assassins bureau and the investigations was alright, i wish they had kept it similar but made the investigations unique, diverse and.. better.

It wasn't a bad idea in AC1, but I like the new style as well and I'm glad they went with something new, not just the same old stuff again. Keep it fresh and new.

***Edit***

Originally posted by maniacjunkiez:
I didn't like the fact that Ezio was rather empathic. He confessed things like "I do not want to kill you, but I have to" and alike. Would be much more exciting if he was more like a psychopathic killer who enjoyed what he did.

Totally DISAGREE there. I hate games that are simply about enjoying killing, games need a purpose and story, not just some nut on a killing spree. Also assassins didn't enjoy their killing, it was done for a purpose and in real life they didn't even always kill their targets, often just leaving behind something that made the target think a little harder about their own actions.

I'm a fan of GTA but again its not simply about killing for fun, there is a sensible story behind it all, giving meaning to the killing and a character with regrets about the life he leads. That's how it should be in all GOOD games.

Take a look at the old carmageddon game. It came out with a real bang and lots of people tried it I am sure, but I am also sure most people would of found it really boring after a few games because there was really nothing too it. Brainless driving, no story, just an empty game really, no even any real challenge in hitting people. The whole thing was just really lame and is probably one of the biggest reasons a game like GTA gets so much flack, people see it as just another carmageddon, mindlessly killing people and never see the real GTA game.

maniacjunkiez
04-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Although I wish Ezio were more like Alta´r, I get your point.

adarwinter
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
1) i hated how unchallenging the game is. the game tries its best to not let u die, lose or have any meaning to your death\failure.

2) combat is unbalanced and too easy. too much health for Ezio. nothing the AI can do against a blocking ezio. AI barely attacks (every time i show the game to ppl they ask me "why arent they attacking you?"), using potions in the middle of combat is, again, too easy, too easy to counter, too easy to kill with a combo, andd the list goes on and on.

3) where did the defense break and stong-attack gone??! it's not like they replaced them with something better. they just removed these so important features of the combat. WHY?!? on top of that - the AI never grabs and throws u anymore. again - why not?!

4) money means nothing :\ 30% into the game and u can buy whatever u want. there is no economic system if it isnt balanced.

5) the entire game is SO unbalanced that 70% of the mechanics that UBI has taken an effort to create are not used. there is no need to loot bodies and no need to pick pockets cuz there's so much money to go around.
no need to pick up bodies. really, what for?!
no need to use stealth cuz combat is so effing easy.
no need to buy armor since enemies are so easy and the last diamond of health regenerates anyways so u can hold "block" for 2 seconds and have it again.
no need to use smoke bombs or poison cuz, again, combat is too easy.
no need to use hiding spots cuz, you guessed it, combat is too easy. also no need to use hiding spots because there is no need to run from a conflict. also there is barely any need to become incognito after u kill your target in order to make the mission a success. u can just charge at your target, kill him, and POOF - you;re done. if u die half a second later it doesnt matter.

6) no difficulty settings.

7) no seperate saving slots.

8) no mission replay options.

9) no direction indicator over Ezio's icon on the map making playing the game without the mini-map too frustrating.

10) notoriaty system is weird http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

11) way too easy to lose guards if they chase u. just turn around a corner and wait 10 seconds. at least i'd assume that as long as u r in side the yellow circle than u can't just wait for them to stop chasing u. ubi, thank you again for having mercy on my, god forbid i will be found and maybe attacked again which might make me feel like i failed. my poor self esteem... boo hoo

the game is, again as AC1, unbalanced. it's a shame really cuz there are so many (SO MANY) cool mechanics that are just poorly implemented. it's still a 8.3 in MY book but it could have been a 9.5 so damn easily.

An_Idea
04-10-2010, 04:50 PM
SPOILERS if people seriously havent finished it yet

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">i didnt like the hologramy lady who told Ezio about the sun, it just seemed cheesey and not the kind of conspiracy twist that the first game set up</span>

and honestly the whole mystery of the game wasnt as strong as the first installment. the first game was full of sneaking around as desmond, reading emails that contribute even more to the mystery of what exactly abstergo is and what is really going on.

i thought the desmond parts, obviously lacking violence/parkour (except the time i glitched it and got desmond on top of Vidic's desk) added a lot to the story and made it more mysterious.

i mean just look at the first ads for AC2 they have mysterious music and just look like theres going to be a good mystery, then in the game its not that great

Jack-Reacher
04-10-2010, 06:08 PM
The two big ones for me is that you cant replay story missions but side missions, what a stupid idea

And the second is the difficulty, game just gets easier as you go along

mornegroth
04-10-2010, 06:26 PM
A liked this game a lot, it was one of the best I ever played. Still, as any game, it has flaws.

This flaws (in my opinion) have more to do with technical aspects, like physics and animation problems.
Did you ever noticed that almost every time you assassinate someone she has some kind of spasm? Or the fact that every archer you kill ends up in the streets? Also, speaking of animations, when you assassinate someone from a higher place (which requires a jump) Ezio makes an awkward jump which defies gravity, lol. He jumps really high and sorts of align himself with the person below and then he finally falls http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
In AC1 this didn't happened and the assassination jumps were more - how to say it - direct, Alta´r used to jump directly to his enemies.

Graphically the game is still awesome in my opinion, and theres no need to upgrade it (perhaps a little more effort in optimization though, a game which arrives with a delay of three months possessing this type of DRM, deserves a more polished presentation).

Storywise the game is stunning and I was blown away by the diversity it presents.

So, resuming. Assassin's Creed 2 solved one of the problems in the series (diversity), and I must repeat myself, in an ASTONISHING way. I hope the guys at Ubisoft Montreal continue to develop future titles keeping this in mind, and the only thing I wish to be resolved is the technical problems I spoke of.

Engioc
04-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by adarwinter:
1) i hated how unchallenging the game is. the game tries its best to not let u die, lose or have any meaning to your death\failure.

2) combat is unbalanced and too easy. too much health for Ezio. nothing the AI can do against a blocking ezio. AI barely attacks (every time i show the game to ppl they ask me "why arent they attacking you?"), using potions in the middle of combat is, again, too easy, too easy to counter, too easy to kill with a combo, andd the list goes on and on.

3) where did the defense break and stong-attack gone??! it's not like they replaced them with something better. they just removed these so important features of the combat. WHY?!? on top of that - the AI never grabs and throws u anymore. again - why not?!

4) money means nothing :\ 30% into the game and u can buy whatever u want. there is no economic system if it isnt balanced.

5) the entire game is SO unbalanced that 70% of the mechanics that UBI has taken an effort to create are not used. there is no need to loot bodies and no need to pick pockets cuz there's so much money to go around.
no need to pick up bodies. really, what for?!
no need to use stealth cuz combat is so effing easy.
no need to buy armor since enemies are so easy and the last diamond of health regenerates anyways so u can hold "block" for 2 seconds and have it again.
no need to use smoke bombs or poison cuz, again, combat is too easy.
no need to use hiding spots cuz, you guessed it, combat is too easy. also no need to use hiding spots because there is no need to run from a conflict. also there is barely any need to become incognito after u kill your target in order to make the mission a success. u can just charge at your target, kill him, and POOF - you;re done. if u die half a second later it doesnt matter.

6) no difficulty settings.

7) no seperate saving slots.

8) no mission replay options.

9) no direction indicator over Ezio's icon on the map making playing the game without the mini-map too frustrating.

10) notoriaty system is weird http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

11) way too easy to lose guards if they chase u. just turn around a corner and wait 10 seconds. at least i'd assume that as long as u r in side the yellow circle than u can't just wait for them to stop chasing u. ubi, thank you again for having mercy on my, god forbid i will be found and maybe attacked again which might make me feel like i failed. my poor self esteem... boo hoo

the game is, again as AC1, unbalanced. it's a shame really cuz there are so many (SO MANY) cool mechanics that are just poorly implemented. it's still a 8.3 in MY book but it could have been a 9.5 so damn easily.

Yes AC series could use a difficulty setting, the game/combat gets way too easy, and far more money than you could ever spend. By the end of the game I have no problem with being rich and more money than I know how to spend, but that moment shouldn't come till the very end of the game. Force me to save the money and scrounge for it where ever I can at times in order to buy the things I need, or force me in to stealing weapons and keeping them. Having so much money also made the chests unnecessary. One you start building the villa you can stop worrying about finding money in any other way.

I think the amount and speed at which the villa generates money is unrealistic anyway. We're basically told that we're building up the villa to attract paying tourists or perhaps even more people to come and live there, but is there really ever going to be enough people to generate 20,000, 50,000 in just 20 minutes. That's a heck of a lot of cash for the time period. Many times the chest reached its limits while I was busy with the story but it didn't bother me at any point because I wasn't ever really struggling for cash. Ezio is so good with all the weapons anyway that there is no real need to buy new weapons to aid combat, all they really do is help the villa generate even more cash I don't need. Weapons and infact all items should be breakable apart from Altair's armor, giving me more reasons to spend.

Breakable weapons would also spice up the combat if your weapon suddenly breaks during combat, imagine your sword of mace suddenly snaps off leaving you defenseless, this would work the other way too where sometimes the enemies weapons might break but its not so much of a problem for then since there's normally more than one guard your fighting. So your forced to fight using fists, swap to a different weapon which should take time, or run.

The number of guards should increase as your notoriety goes up since the city is now aware of your presence. I think healing during combat should be removed all together, how does someone pop a pill during combat and is instantly healed, very unrealistic. Heal after combat, not during, not even the automatic system of AC1, cuts/bruising etc from blades and hammers don't heal just by taking a pill or two. It makes the game harder but I'd welcome that, plus it forces you to value life a little more, currently you can run and leap about knowing there is no big deal if you get killed, your reborn instantly and never that far back from where you died.

There is always a fine line between fun realism and too much realism, but I think AC series could do with a larger dose of realism yet.

rattlervfa204
04-11-2010, 02:24 AM
This game by far has the worst controls that I have ever experienced. I think that they should have released this game with a special atari joystick. I spend more time jumping the wrong direction than I do completing missions. From 1-10 I rate this a negative 20.

itsamea-mario
04-11-2010, 03:31 AM
i think it should take alot longer for guards to replace the posts of other guards, and apparently guards change shifts but ive never seen this.

the amolang
04-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by rattlervfa204:
This game by far has the worst controls that I have ever experienced. I think that they should have released this game with a special atari joystick. I spend more time jumping the wrong direction than I do completing missions. From 1-10 I rate this a negative 20.

no way, controls are awesome, some people just can't grasp them. My problems with the game are very few. Mainly the cutscenes, they just don't look good, and nearly all the models, none of them look real at all. Also the small, annoying bugs or technical faults, they kind of add up, and by themselves its not a problem, but put together... its annoying. For instance, the pop up is horrendous, especially for a game like this where I want to see far ahead of me, to plan my route, see enemies, hiding places, etc.

j_p_brooks81
04-11-2010, 07:47 AM
I think that the sound effect of a body hitting the ground after falling off a building needs some work. It needs to have a real gruesome splat sound... something that will traumatize you for a few seconds.

I loved the combat system and I didn't mind it getting easier. It made me feel more like a seasoned bad ***. As Ezio gets older, he's supposed to be able to kill people a lot easier because his skeelz keep getting better. Same thing with the money. I liked the feeling of getting richer and richer throughout the game. How else are you supposed to run your own villa?

What I didn't like about the combat system though is that it sucks to fight alongside with other characters. Solo fighting is perfect, but fighting with allies gets annoying because they are always in the way or they accidentally hit you instead of the bad guy.

j_p_brooks81
04-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Robson19822009:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j_p_brooks81:

The D man is meant to seem inexperienced, he's on the outside looking on so his perspective is completely different. You don't see enough of him in the game to make an accurate assumption of who he really is... you start to see at the final cutscene what hes really made of... play through again and you'll see what i mean http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The cursing is in Italian, from the way you type I'm prosuming you're not Italian so its not surprising it may sound forced to you... the way you swear might seem that way to an Italian.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I'm not talking about any of the cursing in Italian. I love the Italian in this game. I'm talking about Desmond and Subject 16. They only cursed like once or twice in the game, but it just didn't sound right to me for some reason.</span>

Treasure chests full of money dotted about the place are generally a bit of an odd thing, the guarded ones are there to entertain you while you search for them

<span class="ev_code_RED">I would have found it more entertaining if they were placed throughout the maps like I mentioned in my original post.</span>

I completely agree with that one, the way they were set up was a bit odd lol

lmao eh, ok... I didn't notice, not to say its such a bad thing tbh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Dude, that's the first thing I noticed about her. Her mouth was huge compared to the other female characters... and a big mouth is a bad thing in my opinion.</span>

You die in the Matrix, you die in the real world...same **** really lol

<span class="ev_code_RED">The concept was ******ed in the matrix too. I think it would have been cool if you got to train as Desmond instead of Ezio. They could have made that part similar to the movie Wanted instead of the Matrix.</span>

lol fear can make people do strange things, but aye... some passengers and the ability to swim might have been handy.. was swimming invented in the 1400's?

8. I came across lots of glitches. There are certain spots of the gondola you can not climb up on. Instead Ezio starts jittering real fast. At one point, I was on top of a building and several guards kept spawning. I killed about twenty of them while standing still and they kept respawning in the same spot. Chapters 12 & 13 are filled with tons of glitches.#

Theres plenty of little bugs about the place but considering the size of the game there isn't as many as there should be.. the same thing happens with certain parts of the bigger boats aswell...just a glitch..yeh, fix it!

<span class="ev_code_RED">agreed</span>

Totally agree, the final fight was seriously disappoiting but I doubt thats the last we'll see of him... he ain't dead and hes obviously got the smarts to make a fierce come back

Personally I would have made the factual information available in game a lot deeper and certainly more interactive. I think thats a matter of resources though... not sure.

Coop would have given a completely different aspect to certain missions, even if the other person you were fighting with was an NPC...so, Coop plz...loads of it lol

A more complicated and varied combat system, I mean AC II combat is fine but it leaves you feeling a little detached from the decisions that were made.

I can't be botehered typing anymore but thats a few of my thoughts lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to add that I'm really nitpicking too. The game is just that good.

Six_Gun
04-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Well I understand the complaints about the DRM and especially the game stopping glitches some have experienced, but honestly, I feel most of what's been complained about here are either trivial things or over exaggerated. I'm one of the ones having the bug where you can't get the 5th seal in San Marco or even start the Sequence 8 missions. I certainly hope they fix that, but otherwise the game has far exceeded the experience I had in AC 1. I've even gotten used to the pesky street musicians and now enjoy running into them and causing them to drop their instrument. One time I even accidentally knocked one of them into the water at Venice. LOL

Sure the game isn't as hard combat wise in numbers of enemies at a time or how long it takes to defeat them, but personally I got annoyed at AC 1's overuse of enemies in numbers and repetitious gameplay toward the end of the sp campaign. AC 2 IMO makes up for AC 1's type of challenge with it's own more diverse challenges, and extremely deep and varied side quests. I consider it to be a never a dull moment game because very little of it is repetitious. About the only thing predictable in it is knowing every Beat Em Up is going to involve pummeling some woman's unfaithful husband.

One of the side quests I struggled with at first and thought might not be able to do was the No Camping one where you have to race off to 3 rural areas outside one city and take on a fairly large group of guards at each spot (large for the time allotted anyway), all within about 5 minutes. When I beat it I felt pretty good. IMO everything is better in this game vs the last. Love the deeper RPG elements, weapons, variety of enemies, missions and quests, and the greater amount of maps, which are all very nice looking. Only problem I see is it was rushed a bit and needs some bug fixing.

DAS_COOL
04-12-2010, 04:52 AM
1. Glitches/bugs
I'm sure you guys already know this. Some are bad enough to be permanently stuck into your save data, so the only way to get around it, is to make a new profile.

2. Locked save data for PS3!
I wouldn't mind if Ubisoft actually implemented the cloud server for PS3 save data. Coz it's much safer to do so as opposed to current configuration. At the moment whenever PS3 dies, save data is gone too. Which also means can't play same save on different PS3s.

3. No replaying mission
It's not hard really. Just pretty much replaying mission. But more like as a 'memory', not to help progression. So you get to play older missions, but it won't matter who you kill/what you get as they won't be transferred to your 'true' progress.

4. Bad Graphics
Dunno about you guys, but the only thing good in this game is how beautiful the scenery is. But character models, animation and all are sub-par.

j_p_brooks81
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

This has actually been proven false recently. Concentrating on working out trains your muscles just the same as actually working out.

I agree on all the other stuff though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way man. Maybe it helps strengthen muscle, but you can only become more agile through actual physical training.

JerseyDevil26
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Wasn't the whole point of the game to have the bleeding effect? Without this this whole plot would be kinda be useless cause he was only using Ezio since they had memories from birth so the bleeding effect would teach him everything Ezio learned

j_p_brooks81
04-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by JerseyDevil26:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j_p_brooks81:

Wasn't the whole point of the game to have the bleeding effect? Without this this whole plot would be kinda be useless cause he was only using Ezio since they had memories from birth so the bleeding effect would teach him everything Ezio learned </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can learn how to freerun and fight in the Animus, but the only way to become more agile is through physical training. The game makers can easily write this off because it's a game and anything is possible. I'm just saying it would have been nice if they had been a little more realistic with the training. I think it would have been funny to play as a Desmond who struggles to climb up walls, but eventually gets better at it.

mornegroth
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
I guess it works the same way actually.
Physical training shares the same objective as the bleeding effect. Training is just a way of telling your brain how to do a specific task giving it experience/data, questions like "How harder must I press this button for it to activate?" or "How must I position my feet in a skate board during this giving time?", these are all data collected from your physical training and saved in your subsconcious (same thing for art and such). Your finger muscles, for example, don't know how to press the keys in a keyboard for themselves, it's the brain who gives them that information. It seems plausible for me that Desmond has all that pontential right after exiting the Animus, skipping phisical training.

Of course there's another factor, which is the muscle strenght, flexibility and such. So, in a certain sense, you're right j_p_brooks.

But as you might know our muscles aren't at they fullest capacities all the time, if they were then a 9 year old girl could lift the front of a car by herself.

So I guess the bleeding effect could trigger Desmond's muscles and rise their capacity percentage as well, this might bring long-term physical implications that we're not aware off yet.

Six_Gun
04-15-2010, 07:58 AM
After playing some more I do have a few minor nit picks. Sometimes your sword will get knocked out of your hand and if you make the mistake of picking up the wrong one, well, you've lost that nice sword you just bought because there's no option to drop an inventory sword, and you can't repurchase a sword you've purchased before if this happens. You also can't even dye the black clothes you get when obtaining Altair's Armor back to Assassin White because that color is shown as already owned even though there's no way to wear it at that point.

This last one's very minor, but can get annoying when practicing stealth. You can automatically pick up corpses to hide or dispose of them while any weapon is equipped, yet when you're done you're automatically switched to fists, which requires you to remember to switch back to hidden blade. A couple times I've found myself punching vs killing enemies instantly and quietly with the hidden blade because of this.

Hey, it's not a perfect game, none are, but I've found very little to complain about really.

El_Sjietah
04-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Six_Gun:
After playing some more I do have a few minor nit picks. Sometimes your sword will get knocked out of your hand and if you make the mistake of picking up the wrong one, well, you've lost that nice sword you just bought because there's no option to drop an inventory sword, and you can't repurchase a sword you've purchased before if this happens.

You can still pick up your old sword at the villa though. I think.

adarwinter
04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Six_Gun:
After playing some more I do have a few minor nit picks. Sometimes your sword will get knocked out of your hand and if you make the mistake of picking up the wrong one, well, you've lost that nice sword you just bought because there's no option to drop an inventory sword, and you can't repurchase a sword you've purchased before if this happens.

You can still pick up your old sword at the villa though. I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

u r correct. in the villa, when u enter and turn to the left u find a room with all the weapons u bought so u can switch them. easy.

but why cant u change your weapon on the streets with weapons u find on the floor - this i dont know. silly, really.

also, six_gun, why do u even bother with carrying bodies? is there a use for this or just for pretend purposes?

AMuppetMatt
04-15-2010, 12:07 PM
There's one mission in Florence where you have to kill a guarded target who's under an archway. Go up to the roof above and kill the archer. Pick him up and throw him over the edge to the ground below. Everyone comes out to investigate, then you just air assassinate him.

Other than that I don't think there is a real practical use for carrying bodies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

npatten
04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Two things...The Visitazione's tomb in Venice where we had to run up the wall...And the collection of 100 feathers which I never managed to complete up to now....Apart from that, it's exactly the type of game I prefer above everything else!!

Six_Gun
04-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the tip on where to get back your weapons, nice that the game lets you know that, NOT. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I had heard it's possible to get them back in the Villa, but I assumed those whom said it meant from the Blacksmith there.

I'm not saying picking up bodies is necessary in the way I've done it, but if you really want to know the first time I did it wasn't until the Sistine Chapel where you have to sneak through to the levers without guards seeing you. First time I tried another guard came investigating because I killed the first guard in a place where the next could see him whilst making his rounds. Then the rest of the guards set up in front of the gate by the lever to guard it. So I then killed one and moved the body. Then I found out you can just kill him in a spot where he cant be seen by the other guard. It would have been nice had they thought out some AI patrolling routes better so you had to go Splinter Cell sometimes.

That being said, I can see where you could use them in lots of places for a distraction via tossing them off roofs toward guards below to clear a path to descend unnoticed. Then again, the guards in the game are pretty stupid. They'll not investigate when you hide from them behind smokestacks on roofs, they'll not see or hear you when you are easily within distance to see them clearly, they'll not react when you assassinate someone well within earshot (like a ledge assassinate on a ship), etc.

When it comes down to it, the random thieves you chase and the Agile guards that can run fast to catch up to you are about the only AI challenges in the game, other than those guys in armor with spears whom are hard to attack or block.

mornegroth
04-16-2010, 06:22 AM
The game let's you know that, you just didn't payed attention to it

Six_Gun
04-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Actually now that I recall, I did pay attention to what was shown onscreen about the weapons display room in the Villa mansion, just forgot about it. Anyway, it's ridiculous that you should have to traipse all the way back there anytime your weapon gets knocked out of your hand and you pick up the wrong one merely due to lack of a weapon drop feature.

bloodyangel2010
04-16-2010, 03:19 PM
what i didin't like about it is how it was soo short

byjiawei
04-16-2010, 09:46 PM
What I didn't like about the game is the parts where you go round collecting seals for the Altair armor. First off I believe this is Ezio's story, and the main focus is Ezio brining in your ancestor into the game and wearing his armor and sword is wrong if you asked me. If so, how would the next generation of assassins remember about Ezio, would they remember him for wearing the legendary Altair's armor? So I think getting seals from hidden tombs in the middle of Italy is kinda nonsensical. But I have to say, the tomb robbing was fun, the jumping around/puzzle.
I always have this glitch where after you blend with civilians and then you come out off the blend, Ezio tends to walk um, funny. He walks like he's rethinking whether he should continue walking or not.

But nevertheless it is a great game though. These are my only complaints!

Good job!

j_p_brooks81
04-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Actually now that I recall, I did pay attention to what was shown onscreen about the weapons display room in the Villa mansion, just forgot about it. Anyway, it's ridiculous that you should have to traipse all the way back there anytime your weapon gets knocked out of your hand and you pick up the wrong one merely due to lack of a weapon drop feature.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I only had my weapon knocked out of my hand once and that was after the father and brothers were hanged. It never happened again after that.

j_p_brooks81
04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by bloodyangel2010:
what i didin't like about it is how it was soo short

If there is one thing this game is not, it's short. It takes hours to find all the treasure chests and feathers, complete story missions, and assassin's tombs. Not to mention figuring out Subject 16's puzzles and all of the other little side things to do. I have no idea what you are talking about. You should take you time and admire the cities too. I did and it was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had.

j_p_brooks81
04-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by byjiawei:
What I didn't like about the game is the parts where you go round collecting seals for the Altair armor. First off I believe this is Ezio's story, and the main focus is Ezio brining in your ancestor into the game and wearing his armor and sword is wrong if you asked me. If so, how would the next generation of assassins remember about Ezio, would they remember him for wearing the legendary Altair's armor? So I think getting seals from hidden tombs in the middle of Italy is kinda nonsensical. But I have to say, the tomb robbing was fun, the jumping around/puzzle.
I always have this glitch where after you blend with civilians and then you come out off the blend, Ezio tends to walk um, funny. He walks like he's rethinking whether he should continue walking or not.

Good job!

If you read all the codex pages, you'd realize why Altair was so important. Much more important than Ezio in my opinion. I loved the whole thing with the assassin's seals, Altair's armor and sword. After I got those 2, I never switched to anything else.

My problem with Ezio's walking is when he shoves people out of the way. He looks akward at times when he's twisting his waist. When you first press the shove button, he still sticks his arm out even when no one is around. It's a bit odd.

I still find it funny that there are so many Italians during the Renaissance who could freerun.

byjiawei
04-17-2010, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by byjiawei:

Good job!

If you read all the codex pages, you'd realize why Altair was so important. Much more important than Ezio in my opinion. I loved the whole thing with the assassin's seals, Altair's armor and sword. After I got those 2, I never switched to anything else.

My problem with Ezio's walking is when he shoves people out of the way. He looks akward at times when he's twisting his waist. When you first press the shove button, he still sticks his arm out even when no one is around. It's a bit odd.

I still find it funny that there are so many Italians during the Renaissance who could freerun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, the twisting/walking. HAHA! too bad i can't read the codex pages again cause I lost all my sessions in after the UbiLauncher update. I still think that the influence of Altair in the game is a tad too much for me. but I respect your opinion.

RedSpider
04-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Things that annoyed me: http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
When you're being assisted by the Courtesans, it's really irritating if you're walking along and you pass guards, cus without Ezio even telling them, they just walk off!
I think it's in Romagna/Forli, where there's a random boat off the coast. If you swim to it, it says you're in a restricted area, and it's even surrounded by red on the map. But after you get there and kill all the guards, there's nothing there. I just don't like the pointlessness of it...
There seemed to be a bit too much 'flirting' aswell, it made Ezio look a bit like a man-*****...
And, why doesn't Dante appear on the portrait after you've killed him? You speak to them both after their assassination, but Dante isn't on the picture?!?
The pickpockets were annoying. I don't know why I felt the need to kill them all (and the annoying Borgia guards that shout their mouths off and run away) but they just seemed to appear at really vital parts of the game, so I had to deviate to kill them...
And the game goes on for like, 23 years, yet Claudia and Maria stay in exactly the same places.
Also, some of the characters looked so much older than Ezio, despite being only a few years older; Lorenzo de Medici for example. Or even younger, such as Machiavelli...
That's all I can think of for now. Amazing game though, guess i'm just being picky...The annoying things can be overlooked http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Mitro-Blade
04-19-2010, 01:55 AM
I've got a few complaints.
1. The guards. I've mentioned this a few times before but this really bothers me. The guards are too easy to escape. I mean, the game doesn't even require you to escape, ever, you can just kill them. And even if you do decide to escape them, it only takes like 10-15 seconds to shake them off, you don't even have to use any hiding spots.
2. You can't drop weapons. If you equip something, you can't take them off, you are practicaly stuck with them, unless you find a brute that can disarm you, but sometimes brutes wont even disarm you. It just makes me so...GRR http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

adarwinter
04-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Mitro-Blade:
I've got a few complaints.
1. The guards. I've mentioned this a few times before but this really bothers me. The guards are too easy to escape. I mean, the game doesn't even require you to escape, ever, you can just kill them. And even if you do decide to escape them, it only takes like 10-15 seconds to shake them off, you don't even have to use any hiding spots.
2. You can't drop weapons. If you equip something, you can't take them off, you are practicaly stuck with them, unless you find a brute that can disarm you, but sometimes brutes wont even disarm you. It just makes me so...GRR http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

yeah. bothered me as well. especially no.1. ezio doesnt need to use any of the tools he's given cuz he can fight 100 guards at the same time.

u can use the tool in my sig but that is not thanks to a well balanced game.

FiskMunk
04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
The face textures and models are horrible when compared to AC II's predecessor + Dozens of other games. They look far too smooth, and Desmond + Lucy look like entirely different people. Fish-people, actually...

And I really miss the gritty ambience from AC I, that made it feel like a serious, dramatic game. AC II is too... Cheery. Also outside the Animus, which I guess isn't too out of place given that Desmond managed to escape Abstergo. But still. I also miss the video grain.
And the overall story was a huge letdown to me - Ezio was in too many places at many occasions in a too small amount of time. It could get confusing unless you analyzed every single word spoken by someone. And how come Ezio was alone wearing the traditional white apparel with a beak-pointed hood? Ubi could've at least had all the Assassins wear something similar during Ezio's initiation, in order to make it feel more Assassinish.
It didn't feel like the sequel to Assassin's Creed, it felt like... Something weird.

And gameplay-wise, the AI appears worse in some aspects than AC I! (in my opinion) And combat is still somewhat boring and unchallenging. Worse is that you on many missions were forced to fight, rather than encouraged to sneak in and stab!
"My own army? I like it".
The hell I do...

RedSpider
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
And how come Ezio was alone wearing the traditional white apparel with a beak-pointed hood? Ubi could've at least had all the Assassins wear something similar during Ezio's initiation, in order to make it feel more Assassinish.

Worse is that you on many missions were forced to fight, rather than encouraged to sneak in and stab!
"My own army? I like it".
The hell I do...

OMG! You're so right, I completely agree that Ezio shouldn't have been the only one to have been wearing the assassins uniform. They could have had everyone wearing it when fighting Borgia and his men, but at the very least, as you said, during he initiation. It would have added a good amount of authenticity and a level of sinisterness; really showing the unification of the Assassins, so it looks like they are still part of the original brotherhood.

As for your second comment I've quoted, I never thought about it before, but the way he's encouraged to fight...isn't that breaking the second rule of the Creed? To never expose oneself, to blend in the open... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

JohnConnor2012
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Generally, even playing with a really slow machine that generates bizarre bugs (e.g. cloning assassination targets!), this is a great game, prob. best I've played this year so far.

But...

1) On PC at least, the camera is totally horrid. Never mind the basically cheatingly bad camera angles imposed in tombs, what about the totally unhelpful 'close up' view you get if against a wall in a fight or the foliage they interpose between you and Ezio in esp. hectic free-running sequences, like during races?

2) Whilst really respecting the historical reseach that's gone into this, I don't go for the Dan Brown / Eric von Daniken subplot and thought the Dessie stuff intrusive and irrelevant. The ending was definitely a 'WTF' rather than 'wow' moment for me.

3) General easiness was disappointing--fighting, money, whatever, esp. at the end--but also crazy anomolies like Ezio being the only swimmer in the 15th century. And he can leap across a street and grab window frames with his fingertips (instead of crashing through the window!) but can't climb trees.

BTW, @Red (previous page): the ship off Forli is an assassination mission that'll come up later.

Six_Gun
04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by JohnConnor2012:
Generally, even playing with a really slow machine that generates bizarre bugs (e.g. cloning assassination targets!), this is a great game, prob. best I've played this year so far.

But...

1) On PC at least, the camera is totally horrid. Never mind the basically cheatingly bad camera angles imposed in tombs, what about the totally unhelpful 'close up' view you get if against a wall in a fight or the foliage they interpose between you and Ezio in esp. hectic free-running sequences, like during races? Ha, I get the cloning targets sometimes too, at least twice so far! Reloading the checkpoint has corrected it though. I wasn't sure if it was my low spec, but I'm sure playing with a mere 3GHz P4 CPU has something to do with it. I agree though, it's a great game and would be even better on a rig that doesn't lag. I don't get why Tuscany lags so much more than the other maps though because it seems to have less in it.

Yeah they sorta went Tomb Raider with the camera angle hints and esp the cutscenes after entering a tomb. Might as well have highlighted markers along the route. At least in TR you had to make tricky jumps. The puzzles are too easy in AC 2 to warrant any clues. Some of the glyph puzzles are quite challenging though, and this 3rd play through I noticed you don't always get the same one at any given glyph.

Last night I struggled with the glyph puzzle that looks like a circular red, white and black maze that you have to align with uninterrupted channels from the center outward. I was beginning to think I'd never get it. I don't like that the glyph challenge completion only gets you the Truth video though. It should unlock something playable.

I agree on the camera being annoying at times while fighting. You literally have to make sure you run to a pretty large open space before taking on several challenging foes or you'll get trapped not being able to see what's going on. Many of us have tried to find or figure an FOV hack, to no avail. A bit closer camera would solve some of that problem, as long as it's not too close.

As for the game being too easy, it can be a lot harder when you do more fighting and less running, esp if you don't buy any armor or the better weapons and don't wear the low profile capes. I just got the Medici cape on this play through and have yet to buy any armor or sword. I did by accident pick up a Falchion sword when a Brute knocked the one Mario gave me out of my hands though. Eventually I'll get around to doing a full run through with just the common sword and no armor (except the greeves you have to buy).

This run has been fun. I've had a lot of battles where after slaying two or 3 guards on first counter attempt the rest go running scared. It's really bizarre how their panicked reaction varies too. Some will just suddenly drop their swords and stand there afraid to fight, others will come running with sword drawn, then a moment later run off after realizing what you've just done. I always slay the ones that drop their weapons and stand there. My motto is, if you're scared you'd better run, and fast.

I had an amusing couple tries at the Vertical Slice side mission in Tuscany. After killing the guy patrolling on the small platform with the covered hidespot at the base of a tower, I'd draw the attention of a rooftop archer just down the way. Twice he came investigating trying to leap from the roof he was on to the beams on the side of the tower, both times falling to his death. It was odd because he never shouted when alerted or made any sound when he fell. I called it the Leap of Fate. LOL

JohnConnor2012
04-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi, Six-Gun: I've found that you get the mission completed killing the first target and hacking clones just cranks up notoriety and prolongs the mission, so no biggie.

Agreed about suicidal guards! Agiles seem particularly keen to back themselves off rooftops, and one mission ended with a certain brain-damaged bodyguard pitching himself off the gangplank and into the harbour, instead of the 3 minute fight with him and about 8 guards I endured the previous run-through.

I tried to minimise killing this time through (even archers!) and its still 500+. Big brawls seem too easy, esp. towards the end - but, then, I have full armour, etc. I may go for the minimalist / max pain approach next time - after a rig upgrade. I've noticed you like a challenge. On the No Camping mission, you only have to jump the black-uniformed conditerri officers, not their entire company! A good getaway horse helped me too, though ran off half-way through this time through (que desperate dash to city gates for another).

Returning to topic: the collections were a bit of a drag too, IMHO, and some of the do three of this, then three of that, then four of the other (Venice!) had potential to go on too long too...

Six_Gun
04-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by JohnConnor2012:
On the No Camping mission, you only have to jump the black-uniformed conditerri officers, not their entire company! A good getaway horse helped me too, though ran off half-way through this time through (que desperate dash to city gates for another).

Returning to topic: the collections were a bit of a drag too, IMHO, and some of the do three of this, then three of that, then four of the other (Venice!) had potential to go on too long too... Funny you should mention No Camping because this third time playing through it I finally realized there was only one guy in black you have to kill in each spot. It dawned on me the 2nd spot I got to and I had to make use of that knowledge on the last spot because I accidentally wasted my 3rd smoke bomb on the 2nd. With the lag I get sometimes I hold L Mouse down too long and Ezio throws 2 bombs.

I was getting really frustrated with that mission when I thought you had to kill all guards in each spot. At times the one in black would panic and run and I couldn't find him anywhere, not knowing of course he was the only needing to be killed. I managed to kill all of them in my last two runs after replaying it a couple times though.

Once I got a strange bug where I galloped into a couple Brutes then dismounted and suddenly I appeared to have flown upward at an incredible height. What's really strange though is instead of landing I wound up swimming in what appeared to be a small pond with lots of missing textures.

On the topic of collections I think the glyph data is by far the hardest. Some puzzles are easy but some are a real pain. Seems with all that work you should get more than just a video to watch.

El_Sjietah
04-20-2010, 03:02 AM
That video is one of the major reveals of the overall plot of AC, so I wouldn't call it "just a video". I deffinately liked it better than the lame hammer you got after 50 feathers, that's sub-par to most swords you already have by then.

j_p_brooks81
04-20-2010, 06:30 AM
I really liked the glyph puzzles, but had major problems with some of them. I only have a 24" standard definition tv and I could not see some of the hidden #'s and symbols in the background of some of the combination puzzles. I didn't even know they were there w/o the help of an online guide. Even then, I still couldn't see some of them. I'm getting really tired of games with small text too. Not everybody can afford a nice, big HDTV.

KaosAndLight
04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
The pacing bugged me a bit. They've got the fairly standard RPG meme of making the core plotline seem absolutely right-this-minute-urgent packed beside a bunch of sidequests, so once again I'm torn between ignoring the side quests or 'break' the flow of the story by procrastinating on the core story to run through them.

It's not a huge thing, just something that bugs the story purist in me.

j_p_brooks81
04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by KaosAndLight:
The pacing bugged me a bit. They've got the fairly standard RPG meme of making the core plotline seem absolutely right-this-minute-urgent packed beside a bunch of sidequests, so once again I'm torn between ignoring the side quests or 'break' the flow of the story by procrastinating on the core story to run through them.

It's not a huge thing, just something that bugs the story purist in me.

I agree. I wanted to give this game one really good play through by completing everything, as I do not have a lot of time to play games. I found myself hunting down treasure, feathers and completing side quests at the beginning of each sequence so I could get the best equipment. I had no idea how long the story missions would take so I was afraid that I wouldn't get to enjoy all the cool weapons and Altair's armor long enough. It payed off at the expensive of not playing the story missions at a nice steady pace.

JohnConnor2012
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Takes longer to do the collections than the missions, in my experience.

Worst glyph I encountered was the shapes cypher in Venice. It's 'logic' didn't add up for me, so I cracked it the NSA way instead, by brute force. I figured 10 x 10 x 10 possibilities was no great imposition, but the cyphr works on base 20. 7,300 or so combinations and four hours later, the file unlocked. I made a note of the result afterwards. Some would say this was their worst AC2 element / experience, but I actually found all that mindless cypher-spinning kind of meditative.

Wasn't too impressed by the vid at the end - strange absence of nipples.

j_p_brooks81
04-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Takes longer to do the collections than the missions, in my experience.

Wasn't too impressed by the vid at the end - strange absence of nipples.

I think the side stuff took longer than the missions too.

I believe they were wearing body suits.

El_Sjietah
04-21-2010, 11:07 AM

I believe they were wearing body suits.

This. Notice the weird lines on their bodies as well.

Six_Gun
04-22-2010, 02:34 AM
So far the Truth video kinda reminds me of the Logan's Run movie. It looks to be themed around an intended utopian society gone wrong. I've got all the clips except 4 unlocked, and the one unlocked by the puzzle just described above sounds very daunting.

xone65
04-24-2010, 08:53 PM

NEED HELP PLZ !!! am playing the game but i have a problem : in the meeting Templar i have no meeting to listen to !!! when i open the door nothing happens !!! PLZ am dieing here !!! PS : i tried every thing reload replay .....

El_Sjietah
04-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Try posting in the right thread. This is like barging into a global warming conference and asking how to change a tire.

j_p_brooks81
04-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Try posing in the right thread. This is like barging into a global warming conference and asking how to change a tire.

Dude, that was really funny!

Six_Gun
04-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Some more tid bits I found upsetting now that I've beaten it twice. As said before, the camera is very annoying. I noticed at the end of the game this time there's a menu that appears with "General" as one of the tabs. It includes "Action Camera" settings with values of 1-4. I couldn't figure how to bring up that menu option at any other time, and I'm not sure what the camera settings changes do. I thought it meant the frequency with which the action camera animation scenes would kick in, but in playing some more at the end of this run that doesn't appear to be the case.

The camera in general is very stubborn and springy, even when you're just free running. Combined with the extreme widescreen aspect ratio and cluttered HUD, it makes for a very uncomfortable free run flow. I read through the multi page interview article with the studio lead last night where they described the 3 pillars of design and play testing, and not once did they say the view in the game needed work. I find that hard to believe. Is there really a need for this stubborn camera springiness and HUD elements set far in from the edge of an already limited height screen?

Now lets talk glyph puzzles. I can see how the uber cerebral brainiacs enjoyed them, I did the first half, but the 2nd half are just ridiculous. They also tend to contradict their underlying message that what we've been "taught" to believe is all a lie. All through the game they imply the rulers of our world have been trying to hide the truth from us to keep us oppressed, yet when it comes to the one thing in the game that is supposed to reveal that truth they hide it behind a veil of puzzles far more confusing than the parables of the Bible.

I think I would have preferred the truth be unlocked by puzzles more of the physical navigation type, perhaps guarded by traps along the way, and the armor be guarded by actual forces. In other words secret tombs for the Truth clip archives, and fortresses for the seals unlocking the armor, not that the armor is actually needed in this game. The game does have a lot to it, I just feel some of what it has is not thought out well. The puzzles seem out of place and more akin to the near future animus world than the past, and the Tombs, though fun to do seem oddly weak in protection. Even their access doors are right out in plain view.

The tombs being used as chambers to protect the pieces of the Truth puzzle would have been more in keeping with the way the game ended, where there was a vault that had a sort of culmination of all theses bits of info, vs anything to do with armor or cerebral puzzles. And it seems were the seals thought valuable enough to hide in secret tombs, those tombs would have been guarded better, including their doors to gain initial access.

On the subject of the puzzles, I also thought it odd that most, including many of the harder ones, could not be exited from. I saw the Exit option on only one or two of them. On many I had to Alt+F4 when I couldn't figure them out, then relaunch the game. How could they have missed such a a major annoyance in the play testing? Through mush of that article they bragged about how they pulled off the impossible ion that they had to get the production right the first time. They DO indirectly admit some of the none pillar stuff is flawed, but my God, these are major obvious flaws that don't seem too hard to fix.

I'll end by saying the combat is fun, but too easy. You have to go out of your way to force challenge in the game. I found on some of the harder battles this time you really only need wait them out in a certain stance to avoid being injured. By that I mean you can deflect even the Ax Brute attacks by just holding block stance with an average sword, wait until you've taken out all the lesser guards, then get aggressive with offensive attacks, bouncing from one Brute to another. You can do this with the Spear Brutes as well. You don't even need to master the dodge moves like I first thought.

El_Sjietah
04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
The puzzles seam out of place and more akin to the near future animus world than the past,

That's sort of the point. Subject 16 hid them in the Animus somehow, to appear in Renaissance Italy for whoever was the next subject. How he knew to hid them in Renaissance Italy of all places and times, is somewhat of a mystery though.

and the Tombs, though fun to do seem oddly weak in protection. Even their access doors are right out in plain view.

That's only because you can simply pull out your GPS and pinpoint them within 1m accuracy. The skull flashing brighter than time's square didn't help to conceal it either. I'd have preferred it if the hidden tomes were actually hidden, so I'd at least feel some accomplishment when finding one, but 'easymode' seems to have been the keyword in designing AC2.

And it seems were the seals thought valuable enough to hide in secret tombs, those tombs would have been guarded better, including their doors to gain initial access.

Those tombs were supposed to be hidden. The guards you encountered were simply standing watch and had no clue about the tomb 3 rooms away. All the flashing and GPS tracking sort of killed that though.

Completely agree on the other stuff. Personally, I thought the puzzles were the most interesting part of this game since they at least gave me some challenge, but I can see it's a complete pain when you're not into puzzles like those.

Meleth1977
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by maniacjunkiez:

I really disagree with that. I would hate it if Ezio just enjoyed killing people for the hell of it. I think the game does a good job of building up Ezios character and as the game progresses you get a good view of him as a person. If he was just some maniac on a killing spree I'd hate him, as it is now I really like Ezio!

Six_Gun
04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Meleth1977:
I really disagree with that. Yeah the whole purpose of the Assassin Creed is to protect mankind from ruthless rulers, not to be ruthless themselves. If they become what they kill, what's the point?

DexLuther
04-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Did you actually pay attention to the game, or did you just sit there mashing buttons? My guess is the latter because they explain this a few times. Reliving Ezio's memories through genetic memories unlocks the abilities through those very same genes. Desmond could already do all those things, he just had to remember how.

Now onto my issues with the game:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Controls for PC are bad. They aren't the worst controls I've ever seen. Just it's obvious this was a game developed with consoles in mind (Xbox 360 probably). On PC you often run into walls or people because even though you turned the camera one way Ezio decides he wants to continue in the other direction.

<LI> Stealth - Move emphasis needs to be put on using stealth and shadows(a little more like Splinter Cell). Hopefully if AC3 takes us to Japan and the Assassin becomes a ninja, this will be visited more.

<LI> Notoriety - I loved that it was a feature in the game, but it needs work.

<LI> Money - Too much of it. Then again; If there was less of it, people would complain that it's too hard to buy things. It would be better if there was more useful and not so useful things to buy. Like more dyes, capes, masks, weapons, armor and devices. Stuff like poison gas or a poison projectile.

<LI> The guards are annoying when they spot you from across the map and decide you must know something about the guard dieing or going crazy, so they come over and start pushing you around. Of course being a push over that you are you can't do anything while they're pushing you because you're too busy stumbling all over the place, which brings me to the next point:

<LI> The guards do too many things that make Ezio stumble. I get that getting hit by a mace, hammer, or ax must hurt, but Ezio shouldn't stumble when getting attacked by those agile guards and their knifes (small weapon).

<LI> Armor - I know people drool over black armor in any game for some reason. Altair's armor is nice. Since I can't dye it though, I would have been great to be able to mix and match different armor parts. I know you can when you first buy them, but when you switch in the Villa you put on the whole set, which sucks.

<LI> Weapons - Just like with the Hammers there should be a way to buy and equip axes and pikes. [/list]

rjcooper
04-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by DexLuther:
Now onto my issues with the game:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Controls for PC are bad. They aren't the worst controls I've ever seen. Just it's obvious this was a game developed with consoles in mind (Xbox 360 probably). On PC you often run into walls or people because even though you turned the camera one way Ezio decides he wants to continue in the other direction.
[/list]

I agree a bit but not completely, normally there is no trouble with the PC controls. The issue with them generally is a combination of the controls and the camera since with a set camera angle you can't angle Ezio's trajectery minorly only in 90 degree sections.

<LI> Notoriety - I loved that it was a feature in the game, but it needs work.

Completely agree here, it needs better explained parameters to decide what will make you notorious and what doesn't. Air assassinating a guard with no one around and you gain notoriety. I REALLY hated it that every pickpocket you gained some even if you got away unnoticed.

<LI> Armor - I know people drool over black armor in any game for some reason. Altair's armor is nice. Since I can't dye it though, I would have been great to be able to mix and match different armor parts. I know you can when you first buy them, but when you switch in the Villa you put on the whole set, which sucks.

Yeah, the armor needed refinement too. Mixing armor pieces would have been nice, unequipping pieces as well. And I was really disappointed with Altair's armor cause while it was on the stand it looked awesome, but put it on and the entire robe covers almost all of it. But the really annoying part about the armor for me was you couldn't take of the cape, I would have liked the option to not have to wear that.

El_Sjietah
04-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Mixing armor is quite possible in the villa, just not with Altair's armor. No idea why you have problems with it. The only thing that bugs me, is that you can't choose to wear no armor at all.

boobysoft
04-29-2010, 03:56 AM
My 2c:

1. Money becomes completely meaningless about 1/4 of the way into the game.

What do I spend 100000 coins on? It would have been interesting if there were bigger goals to save for, like purchasing horses in cities (if you don't own you have to "hire" them).

I loved the whole "restore your city" thing, that added something to the game - for a short while. Income rates should have been *much* lower.

2. The horses are gorgeous and it's fun riding them, but - again - what's the point?

Like #1, horses become pointless quickly into the game, due to ample money and "fast-travel". Why have fast travel at all? It would have been great to feature horses more in missions, and give more reason to ride around the countryside. Also, horses are "free"? Where's the notoriety for stealing a horse?

3. Nothing to explore outside the cities.

Instead of doing away with AC1's free-ranging countryside, the opposite would have been nice - ie. lots of side missions and things to do in the countryside. There are some, but not enough by far. The landscape is great to look at, shame it's not featured more.

4. The various combat skills you learn are, again like money and horses, utterly pointless.

I've been through almost the entire game doing nothing but left-clicking, and sometimes right-click to block. There's no *need* to dodge, taunt, or any of the other things. That said, the importance of *timing* attacks makes sense and feels satisfying. It challenges reflexes. Arcane-keystroke combat moves can be completely forgotten, but timing should be important.

Also, someone explain why I should bother to pick up a fallen weapon when a) I can't carry it as my own, and b) my weapons are quickly superior anyway.

5. The EVIL EVIL CAMERA.

This is honesty THE most annoying, agonising, frustrating camera in any game I've ever played.
a) Every time I kill a person, I'm forced to watch it "cinematically" for the five hundredth time. The game interaction stops so I can watch this one kill.. again.. and again. Why?
b) Combat is made harder, not easier, by the fixed camera. I can understand fixed *targets*, ok, but let me control where I need to look!
c) Eg. protecting Caterina etc in Forli is almost impossible because of the constantly swinging camera, I can't keep track of where they are. If someone engages me (not me engaging them), they're "targetted" and my camera is fixed on them.. completely out of my control.
d) Fixed camera angles which "suggest" where to jump when exploring dungeons etc. SO frustrating, and actually works against me as a player.

6. "Solve the riddles of <dungeon name here>".

This is NOT riddle-solving, it's a *platform game*. If I wanted to buy a platform game, Mario suits fine. There's no riddle-solving, nothing to challenge the mind at all here. Or indeed anywhere in the game, really. Free-running is very nicely executed in this game, but it's not so interesting I want to spend an entire level focussed solely on jumping around. Boring as hell.

7. Repetition. Repetition. Repeat.

a) How to get a Codex page: Hire girls/mercenaries/thieves; point at guard; walk in and take it; d) repeat. Not even a challenge to do.
b) How to get a Seal: a) Enter dungeon; b) jump and climb a lot; c) loot sarcophagus; d) Repeat. No traps, no puzzles, just platforming.
etc.

8. Usually only one way to complete missions.

I don't mean the choice between knifing and poisoning, or going rooftop or ground. There's very little choice if any at all. The addition of arrows (everyone else uses them, why not an assassin?!) would have added more stealth play to missions.

The most enjoyable missions were, luckily, the assassination missions. Otherwise this game would have needed renaming.

The "race", "delivery" and other mission types were silly. Didn't bother with them after the first one. Maybe just not my cup of tea.

9. No stealth play to speak of.

For an assassin, I'm pretty bold and brazen. And ridiculously recognisable, bordering on parody! The entire continent learns my name, but somehow I'm able to be incognito while dressed uniquely like an assassin and walking through the streets. Who knows, maybe didn't expected me in Bolivian Beige.

I can't change clothes, I can't hide in shadows, I can't crouch behind stuff or move while crouched. Changing clothes would have added SO much more to the gameplay. Hey, *now* I'm incognoto! Or, since you can already do it, a simple change in *coloring* of clothes to attain incognino status? At least that would have been a bit less unrealistic. For added difficulty, you can only use the same color *once* in each city.

Being able to move bodies is, uh, great but just add that to the number of things in this game that are completely pointless to do, like combat moves, picking up weapons and making lots of money.

It's amazing that no game I've ever seen has come close to the stealth play of Thief. And that was what, over a decade ago? Come on guys, where's the stealth? Is it patented or what? Assassins use stealth! Even Hitman had better stealth, and he didn't even need a wig.

10. "You've lost sight of <someone you know very well the location of>"

Ok, so I have this big, blue, unrealistic pointer on my target. Presumably added by the Animus? So why am I desynched by losing sight of something I'm being shown the exact location of?!

Rather, there should be NO pointer and NO stupid countdown timer. If I'm too thick to deal with my target (the only person walking purposefully somewhere amongst the random throng) by the time he reaches his destination, then THAT is a failed mission. Not because I can't see him behind a corner for 30 seconds!

If the premise is that I'm in control of how the memory pans out, then GIVE me control, don't take it away. Same applies to that godforsaken camera.

11. A weapons master that can't use a bow and arrow.

No wait, scratch that. A human being who can't use a bow and arrow. Well at least I can swim, and salt water doesn't damage my armor.

12. Salt water doesn't damage my armor.

Any excuse to spend some of this cash.

Having said all the above, the game kept my interest all the way through. Mainly, I think, because of being able to assassinate people, and the characters.

Story was ok, acting was ok, voicing was very good, scenery was lovely. Gameplay though - severely lacking on many fronts, which is a shame. A few adjustments and additions could have taken this game from great to epic.

boobysoft
04-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Oh yes..

13. Allies.

They get in your way, they accidentally attack you, they even shove you and make you fall over.

You can accidentally attack them, and the ones you have to protect are the first to engage in a fight, even when they're surrounded by guards.

14. Useless rewards.

I have 200000 florens, that's just in my pocket, not to mention at the villa. Nothing to spend it on, of course.

Yet my reward for completing each key mission is another 7000 florens. No extra bits of armor, or special weapons. Just more frackin florens. How stupid! Why not something useful, like a bigger pouch to keep smoke bombs?!

15. No bigger pouches for smoke bombs.

I have a pile of throwing knives and carry a small arsenal of blades, not to mention the hefty weight of 200000 florens up my... Anyway, I can buy bugger pouches for poison and stuff, but... apparently not for smoke bombs, of which I can carry a grand total of 3.

16. Incredible amount of loot in my sack.

So where do I keep these 200000 florens, and how do I know there's 200000 of them? Can I count that high? Maybe it just looks like a lot.

It's ridiculous that my villa chest holds up to 80k or something, but I can carry over twice that in my left boot. It would be more interesting if I had to "deposit" at the villa in order to carry more... but hey, what's the point, there's nothing to spend it on!

Meleth1977
04-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by boobysoft:

It's amazing that no game I've ever seen has come close to the stealth play of Thief. And that was what, over a decade ago? Come on guys, where's the stealth? Is it patented or what? Assassins use stealth! Even Hitman had better stealth, and he didn't even need a wig.

I wonder if this hasn't got something to do with the preferred method of playing? The absolute majority of games out there are just splatter games, run around and shoot first at your enemy and they seem to be the most popular games so maybe AC2's developers thought that the stelth aspect wouldn't attract that many players?

Personally I'd love more stelth missions, they are the fun parts! Remember Return to Castle Wolfenstein? There were some great missions in there where you had to really sneak around and quickly duck behind walls and around doors to avoid being caught. If the guards saw you and made it to an alarm bell you failed. Parts of the game was about staying up on a hill over looking a base with your sniper gun just picking off enough guards so that you could enter the base without being seen. That game scared the living daylight out of me sometimes but it was a damn good game! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

j_p_brooks81
04-29-2010, 07:27 AM

Did you actually pay attention to the game, or did you just sit there mashing buttons? My guess is the latter because they explain this a few times. Reliving Ezio's memories through genetic memories unlocks the abilities through those very same genes. Desmond could already do all those things, he just had to remember how. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is exactly what my complaint is. Did you actually read what I wrote or did you just skim through it w/o giving it any thought? My guess is the latter.

Just like in the Matrix, you can learn "Kung Fu" by having it programmed in your head. Sure, maybe you can learn the techniques, but you aren't going to perform those techniques very well if your body isn't trained and conditioned to do so. You're not going to be kicking anybody in the face if you can't already stretch your leg up that high. You're not going to last in a fight longer than a minute or 2 if you don't already have the stamina. You're not going to be Wing Chun machine gun punching anyone if you don't already have the speed and strength.

Some other simple examples:

A scrawny little weakling isn't going to be able to bench press 300 lb. right away just because he unlocked the abilities in the animus. He would have to build up his strength first.

A 5' person isn't going to do a windmill dunk just because he unlocked the abilities in the animus. He would have to strengthen his legs first.

Now, I realize that this is a video game and anything goes in video games, but if they are going to make a game this realistic you'd think they would have thought of a better way for Desmond to learn these skills. The least they could have done was shown a short video of him getting in shape, gradually getting better at fighting and freerunning. Simply unlocking the abilities and performing them right away just because he relived them through an ancestor in the animus is pretty weak in my opinion. If he doesn't already have the strength in his legs, arms, fingers, etc. he's not going to be able to climb any buildings. To give you a funny scenario, if Desmond were a 400 lb. fatty, there is no way in hell he would be freerunning like a pro just because he unlocked the abilities in the animus. He would first have to train and condition his body before jumping rooftops.

Let me put it this, let's say you, instead of Desmond, just finished a session in the animus. You just learned how to freerun and fight. Now, let's say you just stepped in the octagon with Brock Lesnar. With your current physical condition, strength, stamina and all... do you seriously think you are going to win the fight let alone last a 5 minute round of having someone with lunchbox size fists constantly coming at you? Without the proper training and conditioning, I don't so. Do you think you are going to be able to climb the Eiffel tower? Definitely not without building up your strength and stamina first.

Sure, you can easily learn how to do these things, but you won't actually be able to do them without training your body first. How is that so hard to understand?

I spent hours with this game, enjoying and admiring every little detail I came across. I completed everything there is to complete. Several times I stopped just to watch the daily lives of the Italians. How dare you call me a button masher.

EijiTakayama
04-29-2010, 08:01 AM

I got AC after finishing Thief: DS for the second time hoping that the game would have stealth + more killing. It turns out to be a game where you're supposed to assassinate people in broad daylight. Sure, there's the blending among the crowd element involved, but I would've loved to have SOME night time stealth assassinations which aren't discovered till the next day.

wanderer77
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
some stuff i liked:

1. i liked Ezio's new assassin clothes, a HUGE improvement over Altair's monk clothes. i mean aesthetically speaking Altair's clothes looked like they belonged inside the toilet. and what can be more SUSPICIOUS than a MONK that carries enough weapons to march onto the frontlines? Ezio/Giovanni's assassin clothes at least look more fitting for an assassin to blend into a crowd, Altair's armor also looked far better than Altair's clothes. i was wondering who would even use the Altair monk skin in Prince of Persia and AC2.

2. the puzzle mystery solving is an improvement for me. i liked it. the emphasis on story is really good. but i really hated that you cant replay sequences like in AC1, gotta fix that Ubisoft.

3. fast station travel, and improvement over AC1, in AC1 the kingdom felt more like a CHORE so im glad they removed the kingdom idea. seems some of u liked the Kingdom in AC1?

4. 'IT'S A ME! MARIO!!'

5. Desmond : 'WTF'

6. tons of things to do

some stuff i didnt like:

1. they need more cloth dyes, truly the artistic team at Ubisoft can come up with better color combinations for this awesome outfit?

2. they completely lost the whole concept of stealth in AC2. i used to challenge myself in AC1 to assassinate in stealth from when i leave and return to bureau except in Jerusalem. now u cant do that all your major targets almost always see u before u kill them, making yourself feel like a noob because THEY SAW U. i only want my targets to see me AFTER my blade is inside their body. all rooftop archers instantly grow eyes on the back of their heads if you dont walk, and if you walk you cant close the distance to assassinate them before they turn around. they lost the whole thing about stealth in this AC. and they lied to me, the Medici cape still prohibits me from traveling on rooftops in Florence. standing on a roof is a crime apparently.

3. they gave you a lot of useless tricks as well. whats the point learning the long weapon trip or the heavy weapon defense break, or the throwing knife trick, or throwing sand, the pistol morale shot? all of them have too much charge up time and so it cant be used in a group fight since each opponent has a different tempo u cant guess when they will attack. again whats the point teaching those things? first make it useable and practical, the charge up time.

4. i didnt like the changes to the throwing knife. sometimes the knife is a 2 hit kill, and instantly gives away your location and anonymity if u use it. make it work just like in AC1...... because seriously when did Italian archers grow eyes on the back of their heads? after you throw and BEFORE THE KNIFE EVEN HITS THEY KNOW. also if possible make the throwing knife with a 1st person view mode option, because there were times i thought a first person manual aim would be more useful, like when u have to assassinate without alerting the guards and target cant be locked on to due to distance.

5. collecting feathers. hated it. i've done my fair share of collecting in other games.... i had 150 Pokemon and for golden skulltulas (i gave up after 50 spiders) im sick of collecting. rather than 100 feathers make it 50 for the cape and 25 for the hammer and that is a tolerable amount to collect. and i dont want to play 95% of the game with the normal cape and only have 5% of the game left with the fun cape, so put the feathers in accessible areas early in the game.

6. Bring back STEALTH options when assassinating. playing the stealthy assassin is more challenging than playing as TERMINATOR assassin in AC1. to approach, kill, and escape without being exposed is fun and challenging. to play mixing stealth and terminator style is what amateurs do, for they do not master either style. playing as Terminator assassin is harder and for experienced players at least because you ALLOW them to see u and purposely attract attention and fight your way there. and stealthy assassin is for veterans because its most challenging to never be exposed by any guard.
yes i know i talked about stealth earlier, just emphasizing it.

boobysoft
04-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by EijiTakayama:
It turns out to be a game where you're supposed to assassinate people in broad daylight.

Exactly - this is the thing. Would an assassin really go around dressed like that, sauntering through city streets in broad daylight, basically advertising, "I'm an assassin, look at how cool I am"?

Not once throughout the game did I actually feel like an assassin. What I felt like was simply a skilled swordsman. Chuck Norris with a bit of tip-toeing involved. The "stealth" part was stuff anyone could do - hiding in a bale of hay, sitting on a chair, how silly. Walking in a group - I had to *learn* to do that?

The only real "assassin" style bits were:
a) jumping on people from above
b) throwing someone over a ledge
c) the hay bale of death
d) poison

The huge detractors from it were:
a) being the only guy in the world dressed like an assassin while trying not to be spotted
b) succeeding in not being recognised as assassin by wearing a mask under my assassins hood
c) evading the entire city guard contingent after learning "blending into a crowd while dressed like an assassin 101" - or, failing that, running around a corner and sitting down
d) trying to be an assassin while everyone knows my name, my face, my background and who my Facebook friends are.
e) being able to run into a mission past/around/through all the guards, yelling "HAVEATYEEEHAAA", jumping on the victim, then (after everyone waits politely for our little death-chat to finish) running stealthily away again, with every guard on my tail until I turn a corner and sit down.

The assassin feel was *potentially* there, but it was well and truly defeated by all the silly elements put in to make it a great console game.

Sorry, but pandering to the console crowd *ruins* any element of role-play in a game. I can't wait till consoles get keyboards and mice, then we'll see fantasy games done properly again.

TheFig.
04-29-2010, 12:45 PM
For me the only thing Im frustated with is the DLC. What the hell ? Making Xbox user pay for that??? PAY? Its So short. It should be free. And then, I buy both DLC played it. Alright I was ok with all of it. But then, Bonefire comes out again, but with 3 secret locations. WHAT? And I still have to pay for that too. That is ******ed. Bonfire was 320 points I think or very close to that. Now this new one thats the same but with 3 more locations or whatever, is 560 points!!! WHat the hell is that? Why arent they taking whatever we payed for Bonfire off of that stupid 560 point and make us pay for the secret location and not for Bonfire again when we already did in the first place. ******ed.

El_Sjietah
04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the world of DLC.

boobysoft
04-29-2010, 01:17 PM
More things I didn't like, come to think of it.

17. isn't free-running *my* skill?

A nobleman, or a strange Father Christmas guy with a huge sack on his back, can free-run up walls and over rooftops as well as I can. So.. what's so special about having that skill in the game?

18. Can't heal allies

I have all these here medicine vials in my pocketses. Why can't I give one to an ally who is in danger of dying?

19. White Screen of Hurry-the-F-Up

Why does the screen have to fade to white (and slowly) when I just want to stop buying stuff from someone? Also the buying screens are a pain in the butt - they're sooo slloowww. Choose item to buy. Wait for nice graphic. Confirm buying. Wait for nice graphic to fade away so I can see what else is on the list. Repeat until annoyed.

20. Pointlessly asking to accept a mission I can't avoid

Yes, I want to do this mission. That's why I climbed up here. I didn't go through all that cut-screen dialog just to click Cancel. Get on with it, preferably without disrupting my immersion with an ok/cancel dialog that is pointless to cancel anyway. I mean has anyone ever had the need to click cancel?

21. Always the SAME last words

If I want someone to talk to me while they're dying, I want them to at least say something different from the last guy I topped. Otherwise killing just loses its freshness and appeal.

Don't be trite and conciliatory, say what you feel! Say "omg you've killed me!" Something, anything, apart from, "Ah, I see the error of my ways now. Oh well." Exactly how do they suddenly see their fault, during their last breath, after just having passionately believed something so much they'd die for it?

And I want to tell the guy who killed my father, or kidnapped the little girls, to burn in hell until his nuts turn brown and crispy. If "everything is permitted", I wouldn't be wanting him dead in the first place. Where's the emotional catharsis? Or was I just born forgiving?

22. Guards change at dusk and dawn

Add this to the long list of pointless game elements. Has anyone *ever* had planned a mission around changing of guards? Has anyone ever planned a mission??

Not that it's even *possible* to plan a mission. The game's scripting isn't flexible enough to allow any creativity or planning. 99% of missions have to be done pretty much one way - especially the "don't be detected" missions.

This is how missions go: Guess at some approach, and give it a try. If you fail or die, try something else. Eventually hit on the combination of things you have to do, in the right order, to succeed. It's completely trial and error, no planning involved, and no disadvantage to failing or being killed.

Who in their right mind is going to wait half an hour till "dusk", to get past some guards and then have to start all over again when they trigger a dumb fail by, for example, losing sight of target for 30 seconds? In most cases, it's easier to ignore guards and barrel through.. just like an assassin would (not).

23. Guards that don't guard

You can pretty much ignore guards most of the time, except when you're not supposed to be spotted, or you have to protect an ally from them. They're almost never an impediment to reaching a target to kill. Run around them, lose them around a corner if you're really bored.

Part of the satisfaction of a kill, is having picked off every guard in sight, knowing that will either give you easy access to the kill, or ease your escape. Killing guards does neither. They're only relevant in the remain-unnoticed or protect-ally cases, which are rare.

After a while, you realise there's generally no need to engage guards and that takes a lot of the fun (and gameplay) away. Run in, kill target, sit through the speech, run away again.

24. No lucky dips

Wouldn't it be a lovely surprise to open a chest and find something *other* than a few more francs you don't need? If there was simply a chance of finding ammunition & supplies in them, it might actually be worth opening a few. +1 to the list of pointless game elements.

25. Free running is for what, exactly?

I found, much to my disappointment (though I got used to that feeling after playing this game a while) that free-running to get from A to B is actually slower than just running through the streets. I found it doesn't serve any purpose in the game at all (unless you're chasing another free-runner).

You can't even use it to cut off a target you're chasing, because of the stupid 30-second out-of-sight fail.

So what's it for? Climbing up walls is excellent and well-executed, and being up on a wall/roof is useful for all sorts of reasons. But running across them - the actual "free running" the game so proudly features - has no real utility in the game at all. Amazingly, there's no real reason to do it.

26. Pointless mission requirements

When you need to kill someone without being detected, it's like, "What? Why? Everyone will know its me anyway!" It's not like they'll be all "duh, wonder who did that?" "Don't know.. do you think it was the assassin?"

I mean at least give some kind of story reason for not being seen.. a reason WHY it has to look like an accident.. and ways to make things look like accidents apart from "accidental death from freak poison incident while shopping."

The other two pointless and annoying requirements are:
a) Needing to keep your target in sight - even if you know where they are due to Big Blue Marker and which restricts how you can carry out the mission, and
b) Needing to keep within certain distance from target, which again restricts how you play out the mission.

Those arbitrary "console game" rules do nothing except spoil immersion in the world. So much design effort to make the world look real, yet so much gameplay working against that very thing.

JohnConnor2012
04-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Totally agree on Points 18-20. On the stealth / dawn to dusk thing, I rreally don't think AC2 really registers concealment in shadows or--much more importantly--asw a result of different light levels.

Assassins should, surely, be creatures of the dark, planning most operations at night because of the increased potential for concealment. There should also be less people around at night (encouraging merging as a mainly daytime tactic) with maybe more shops and gates closed and also maybe more alert guards (cos if you're out at night, you must be up to no good...).

j_p_brooks81
04-30-2010, 06:38 AM
My 2c:

1. Money becomes completely meaningless about 1/4 of the way into the game.

What do I spend 100000 coins on? It would have been interesting if there were bigger goals to save for, like purchasing horses in cities (if you don't own you have to "hire" them).

I loved the whole "restore your city" thing, that added something to the game - for a short while. Income rates should have been *much* lower.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Ezio is supposed to become wealthy so I didn't find this a big a deal. I actually felt like I was getting richer and richer because I was supposed to. I do see your point though.</span>

2. The horses are gorgeous and it's fun riding them, but - again - what's the point?

Like #1, horses become pointless quickly into the game, due to ample money and "fast-travel". Why have fast travel at all? It would have been great to feature horses more in missions, and give more reason to ride around the countryside. Also, horses are "free"? Where's the notoriety for stealing a horse?

<span class="ev_code_RED">I was cool with the horses and fast travel. I found both very useful.</span>

3. Nothing to explore outside the cities.

Instead of doing away with AC1's free-ranging countryside, the opposite would have been nice - ie. lots of side missions and things to do in the countryside. There are some, but not enough by far. The landscape is great to look at, shame it's not featured more.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I wish there was a little more to do in the country too</span>

4. The various combat skills you learn are, again like money and horses, utterly pointless.

I've been through almost the entire game doing nothing but left-clicking, and sometimes right-click to block. There's no *need* to dodge, taunt, or any of the other things. That said, the importance of *timing* attacks makes sense and feels satisfying. It challenges reflexes. Arcane-keystroke combat moves can be completely forgotten, but timing should be important.

Also, someone explain why I should bother to pick up a fallen weapon when a) I can't carry it as my own, and b) my weapons are quickly superior anyway.

<span class="ev_code_RED">There are certain missions where picking up a weapon is helpful. A Brute's weapon for example will clear out enemies faster. I haven't found any reason to pick up any other weapons though. It all just depends on your style of fighting.</span>

5. The EVIL EVIL CAMERA.

This is honesty THE most annoying, agonising, frustrating camera in any game I've ever played.
a) Every time I kill a person, I'm forced to watch it "cinematically" for the five hundredth time. The game interaction stops so I can watch this one kill.. again.. and again. Why?
b) Combat is made harder, not easier, by the fixed camera. I can understand fixed *targets*, ok, but let me control where I need to look!
c) Eg. protecting Caterina etc in Forli is almost impossible because of the constantly swinging camera, I can't keep track of where they are. If someone engages me (not me engaging them), they're "targetted" and my camera is fixed on them.. completely out of my control.
d) Fixed camera angles which "suggest" where to jump when exploring dungeons etc. SO frustrating, and actually works against me as a player.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I thought the camera was fine. Only a couple times did it make things problematic.</span>

6. "Solve the riddles of <dungeon name here>".

This is NOT riddle-solving, it's a *platform game*. If I wanted to buy a platform game, Mario suits fine. There's no riddle-solving, nothing to challenge the mind at all here. Or indeed anywhere in the game, really. Free-running is very nicely executed in this game, but it's not so interesting I want to spend an entire level focussed solely on jumping around. Boring as hell.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I'm sorry you didn't like this stuff. I though it was great.</span>

7. Repetition. Repetition. Repeat.

a) How to get a Codex page: Hire girls/mercenaries/thieves; point at guard; walk in and take it; d) repeat. Not even a challenge to do.
b) How to get a Seal: a) Enter dungeon; b) jump and climb a lot; c) loot sarcophagus; d) Repeat. No traps, no puzzles, just platforming.
etc.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I disagree with a). It's all in your creativity. That's the beauty of sandbox games. As for b), I liked the tombs.</span>

8. Usually only one way to complete missions.

I don't mean the choice between knifing and poisoning, or going rooftop or ground. There's very little choice if any at all. The addition of arrows (everyone else uses them, why not an assassin?!) would have added more stealth play to missions.

The most enjoyable missions were, luckily, the assassination missions. Otherwise this game would have needed renaming.

The "race", "delivery" and other mission types were silly. Didn't bother with them after the first one. Maybe just not my cup of tea.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Why would you need arrows when you have throwing knives. I disagree with the rest here as well.</span>

9. No stealth play to speak of.

For an assassin, I'm pretty bold and brazen. And ridiculously recognisable, bordering on parody! The entire continent learns my name, but somehow I'm able to be incognito while dressed uniquely like an assassin and walking through the streets. Who knows, maybe didn't expected me in Bolivian Beige.

I can't change clothes, I can't hide in shadows, I can't crouch behind stuff or move while crouched. Changing clothes would have added SO much more to the gameplay. Hey, *now* I'm incognoto! Or, since you can already do it, a simple change in *coloring* of clothes to attain incognino status? At least that would have been a bit less unrealistic. For added difficulty, you can only use the same color *once* in each city.

Being able to move bodies is, uh, great but just add that to the number of things in this game that are completely pointless to do, like combat moves, picking up weapons and making lots of money.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I like what you said here. Funny stuff. The outfits were awesome though and I looked past this easily. What I didn't like was his "I'm obviously an assassin" strut.</span>

10. "You've lost sight of <someone you know very well the location of>"

Ok, so I have this big, blue, unrealistic pointer on my target. Presumably added by the Animus? So why am I desynched by losing sight of something I'm being shown the exact location of?!

Rather, there should be NO pointer and NO stupid countdown timer. If I'm too thick to deal with my target (the only person walking purposefully somewhere amongst the random throng) by the time he reaches his destination, then THAT is a failed mission. Not because I can't see him behind a corner for 30 seconds!

If the premise is that I'm in control of how the memory pans out, then GIVE me control, don't take it away. Same applies to that godforsaken camera.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Dude, if you have issues keeping trail on someone then you must not be that good it and shouldn't even be playing this game. Seriously, this isn't even an issue.</span>

11. A weapons master that can't use a bow and arrow.

No wait, scratch that. A human being who can't use a bow and arrow. Well at least I can swim, and salt water doesn't damage my armor.

<span class="ev_code_RED">For the second time, you have throwing knives which is easier for an assassin to hide than bow and arrows. How about you try to swim with a bow and arrows on your back.</span>

12. Salt water doesn't damage my armor.
Any excuse to spend some of this cash.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Ok, this is the worst complaint I've seen yet. Seriously!?</span>

Xanatos2007
04-30-2010, 06:49 AM
There's no riddle-solving, nothing to challenge the mind at all here. Or indeed anywhere in the game, really.
You didn't do the glyph puzzles, did you?

Originally posted by Meleth1977:
maybe AC2's developers thought that the stealth aspect wouldn't attract that many players?
The whole point of stealth is not to attract attention. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

j_p_brooks81
04-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Oh yes..

13. Allies.

They get in your way, they accidentally attack you, they even shove you and make you fall over.

You can accidentally attack them, and the ones you have to protect are the first to engage in a fight, even when they're surrounded by guards.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I absolutely agree with this.</span>

14. Useless rewards.

I have 200000 florens, that's just in my pocket, not to mention at the villa. Nothing to spend it on, of course.

Yet my reward for completing each key mission is another 7000 florens. No extra bits of armor, or special weapons. Just more frackin florens. How stupid! Why not something useful, like a bigger pouch to keep smoke bombs?!

<span class="ev_code_RED">Yeah, would have been nice for some variety in rewards, but not a big deal in my opinion.</span>

15. No bigger pouches for smoke bombs.

I have a pile of throwing knives and carry a small arsenal of blades, not to mention the hefty weight of 200000 florens up my... Anyway, I can buy bugger pouches for poison and stuff, but... apparently not for smoke bombs, of which I can carry a grand total of 3.

<span class="ev_code_RED">This would have been nice too, but again not a big deal to me.</span>

16. Incredible amount of loot in my sack.

So where do I keep these 200000 florens, and how do I know there's 200000 of them? Can I count that high? Maybe it just looks like a lot.

It's ridiculous that my villa chest holds up to 80k or something, but I can carry over twice that in my left boot. It would be more interesting if I had to "deposit" at the villa in order to carry more... but hey, what's the point, there's nothing to spend it on!

<span class="ev_code_RED">Yeah, it would have been cool to be able to deposit your money at a bank like the Scarface game.</span>

j_p_brooks81
04-30-2010, 07:22 AM
More things I didn't like, come to think of it.

17. isn't free-running *my* skill?

A nobleman, or a strange Father Christmas guy with a huge sack on his back, can free-run up walls and over rooftops as well as I can. So.. what's so special about having that skill in the game?

<span class="ev_code_RED">Yes, I did find it very annoying that several other people were nearly as good as me at freerunning. Apparently, it was very common during the Renassaince for everybody and their granny to freerun. It was fun chasing some people though.</span>

18. Can't heal allies

I have all these here medicine vials in my pocketses. Why can't I give one to an ally who is in danger of dying?

<span class="ev_code_RED">Yeah, that would have been cool.</span>

19. White Screen of Hurry-the-F-Up

Why does the screen have to fade to white (and slowly) when I just want to stop buying stuff from someone? Also the buying screens are a pain in the butt - they're sooo slloowww. Choose item to buy. Wait for nice graphic. Confirm buying. Wait for nice graphic to fade away so I can see what else is on the list. Repeat until annoyed.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Good lord, you need some patience.</span>

20. Pointlessly asking to accept a mission I can't avoid

Yes, I want to do this mission. That's why I climbed up here. I didn't go through all that cut-screen dialog just to click Cancel. Get on with it, preferably without disrupting my immersion with an ok/cancel dialog that is pointless to cancel anyway. I mean has anyone ever had the need to click cancel?

<span class="ev_code_RED">Do you blow up at every little inconvenience you come across? How is this even a big deal? It's common in games these days to ask you whether you want to go ahead and do a mission or not after you have found out what it's about.</span>

21. Always the SAME last words

If I want someone to talk to me while they're dying, I want them to at least say something different from the last guy I topped. Otherwise killing just loses its freshness and appeal.

Don't be trite and conciliatory, say what you feel! Say "omg you've killed me!" Something, anything, apart from, "Ah, I see the error of my ways now. Oh well." Exactly how do they suddenly see their fault, during their last breath, after just having passionately believed something so much they'd die for it?

And I want to tell the guy who killed my father, or kidnapped the little girls, to burn in hell until his nuts turn brown and crispy. If "everything is permitted", I wouldn't be wanting him dead in the first place. Where's the emotional catharsis? Or was I just born forgiving?

<span class="ev_code_RED">I agree, except if I were an assassin I would definitely kill the person who killed my family.</span>

22. Guards change at dusk and dawn

Add this to the long list of pointless game elements. Has anyone *ever* had planned a mission around changing of guards? Has anyone ever planned a mission??

Not that it's even *possible* to plan a mission. The game's scripting isn't flexible enough to allow any creativity or planning. 99% of missions have to be done pretty much one way - especially the "don't be detected" missions.

This is how missions go: Guess at some approach, and give it a try. If you fail or die, try something else. Eventually hit on the combination of things you have to do, in the right order, to succeed. It's completely trial and error, no planning involved, and no disadvantage to failing or being killed.

Who in their right mind is going to wait half an hour till "dusk", to get past some guards and then have to start all over again when they trigger a dumb fail by, for example, losing sight of target for 30 seconds? In most cases, it's easier to ignore guards and barrel through.. just like an assassin would (not).

<span class="ev_code_RED">Yeah, I agree here. I started missions whenever I felt like. I don't have enough real life time to sit around and wait for dusk time in a game. Here you go again with the 30 second time thing. It's not hard to trail someone in this game and I never had an issue with the timer.</span>

25. Free running is for what, exactly?

I found, much to my disappointment (though I got used to that feeling after playing this game a while) that free-running to get from A to B is actually slower than just running through the streets. I found it doesn't serve any purpose in the game at all (unless you're chasing another free-runner).

You can't even use it to cut off a target you're chasing, because of the stupid 30-second out-of-sight fail.

So what's it for? Climbing up walls is excellent and well-executed, and being up on a wall/roof is useful for all sorts of reasons. But running across them - the actual "free running" the game so proudly features - has no real utility in the game at all. Amazingly, there's no real reason to do it.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Are you effing kidding me? You are actually saying the freerunning is useless? To take freerunning out of this game would be like playing football w/o the football. Did you not explore the maps to admire the beauty that the game makers made for you? I'm starting to feel sorry for you at this point. You sound like a very unhappy person. I'm glad I don't know you in real life. I don't think I could deal with all your complaining and whining.</span>

26. Pointless mission requirements

When you need to kill someone without being detected, it's like, "What? Why? Everyone will know its me anyway!" It's not like they'll be all "duh, wonder who did that?" "Don't know.. do you think it was the assassin?"

I mean at least give some kind of story reason for not being seen.. a reason WHY it has to look like an accident.. and ways to make things look like accidents apart from "accidental death from freak poison incident while shopping."

The other two pointless and annoying requirements are:
a) Needing to keep your target in sight - even if you know where they are due to Big Blue Marker and which restricts how you can carry out the mission, and
b) Needing to keep within certain distance from target, which again restricts how you play out the mission.

Those arbitrary "console game" rules do nothing except spoil immersion in the world. So much design effort to make the world look real, yet so much gameplay working against that very thing.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I am completely asswhipped by your complaints. I think you need to read some self help books or get professional help, otherwise I think you might die of a heart attack in the next couple of years. I created this thread to provide helpful feedback to the game makers, not take out my life frustrations which I'm pretty sure you are doing.</span>

darkghost1995
04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
it was easier than ac1

wanderer77
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
nobles supposedly were 'generous' and gave money to charity.
in this game if they were giving us an insane income every 20 mins, they should include a feature where Ezio could give money(maybe 100K) to someone, or an organization, and then for 2 or 4 hours (real time not game time) the city would be crime free, and the theives, mercs, and ho's would assist without you asking for help when you are up against guards. and the area where you can blend into crowds grows larger too, so you dont have to literally wedge yourself into the crowd and can walk just outside the crowd and still be blended. i think 100K for these features are fair dont u think? gives us something to spend money on.

Six_Gun
04-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Yes, easier than AC 1, but you don't have to use the easiest methods. Much of what I'm reading here lately of some whom say it's too repetitious with meaningless features are using the easiest methods. For instance, I can see maybe robbing codex and bank locations the first play through using the available Courtesans to distract and easily walk in, but my God, I tend to think one would quickly tire of such easy methods.

I've used various tactics to mix it up, such as starting off with an air assassinate while hanging on a ledge above the guards blocking the entrance, then finishing the rest with sword, or boldly walking up to them face to face with sword drawn, or better yet knife. Taking them all on unarmed and disarming them is also interesting.

Even if you use an easier method, you can at least mix it up a bit for the sake of variety and humor. Dashing right between a couple guards in the aggressive run stance will get you right in, then they somehow go brain dead and lose track of you. You can then either dash past them on the way out and take off or stab the one at the door and kill the rest.

That being said, it DOES somewhat detract from the realism of an assassin character that would normally use stealth when possible to have to use such methods to get challenge from the combat. It would be nice had Ubi made the unlocking of Altair's armor and collecting of feathers unlock 2 higher levels of difficulty where you sustain more damage from attacks and falls.

El_Sjietah
04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
My main beef with the game is that the combat is so incredibly slow that it's beyond boring. I can be surrounded by 10 guards and still only get them to swing at me once every 10 seconds. You can try as you like, but there's no way to make those fights hard. Trust me, I tried. Add to that the fact that this game focusses on combat even more than AC1 and it becomes old really quick.

lucaslmgv
07-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Hello.

I loved this game. It wasn't even near perfect but it was better than most games nowdays.

But something that bothered me trough the whole thing was that assassin robe. Altair had one robe like that because he had to desguise himself as a monk, and in that period of time, monks wore clothes like that.

But in Italy during the 15th century, there were no monks with that kind of clothing, specially not wearing capes. Seriously, that cape is ridiculous. So, if Ezio wanted to desguise himself, he should wear something more apropriate.

I know it is like the "assassins" uniform or something. But didn't altair wrote in those codex pages that the assassins were supposed to be inconspicuous?

lucaslmgv
07-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I've used various tactics to mix it up, such as starting off with an air assassinate while hanging on a ledge above the guards blocking the entrance, then finishing the rest with sword, or boldly walking up to them face to face with sword drawn, or better yet knife. Taking them all on unarmed and disarming them is also interesting

I couldn't agree moar.
I always do that. But I guess some people here are not creative, at all.

I think this game was far too easy, and there is no dificulty selection.
If there was a dificulty selection mode it would be a better game.

viken9191
07-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I do not know how to describe it but I only get to feel the Assassin part without the creed.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
07-16-2010, 03:01 PM
DRM
DRM and
DRM

Besides DRM i did not like the feather thing. I dislike collection feather, it's just an dull idea to make the playtime longer, a fill in for that.

I dislike you cannot replay specific sequences.

I dsilike the controling for PC sometimes.

Strange is, Ezio get's older druing 20 years, but Claudia not. She looks always the same during and after 20 years.

El_Sjietah
07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by lucaslmgv:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've used various tactics to mix it up, such as starting off with an air assassinate while hanging on a ledge above the guards blocking the entrance, then finishing the rest with sword, or boldly walking up to them face to face with sword drawn, or better yet knife. Taking them all on unarmed and disarming them is also interesting

I couldn't agree moar.
I always do that. But I guess some people here are not creative, at all.

I think this game was far too easy, and there is no dificulty selection.
If there was a dificulty selection mode it would be a better game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even when using those methods, it's still insanely easy.

swordsman1984
07-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Sub-title narration - Some cut-scene narration were cheesy and wanted to fast-forward them and have sub-titles tell me events but could not.Cut-scenes need to be optional for viewers but explain with sub-titles.

EzioAssassin51
07-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by viken9191:
I do not know how to describe it but I only get to feel the Assassin part without the creed.

I agree! The story in this one didn't do the Creed nature of the AC series enough justice!

But that was the only major flaw for me!

CodeJBDA
07-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Here's my List......

1. I played it on PC and the visuals were less than stellar, and I mean basically, the character models, very detailess and below average for a next-gen game, c'mon Ubi, you do better !!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2. Again on PC it didn't run great at all!! My PC can churn out a lot of games at highest settings with +/- 40-50 FPS and AC2 was always around 25 FPS, come on guys, optimize this bad boy for us!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

getting away from technical jargon :P

3. The notoriety system still need tweaking, things can seems very out of order!!

4. Free-running, although brilliant can be a lil frustrating at times.

5. Horse riding was pretty hard and most times LAME!!! Although it was the fastest way to get across large areas it could be super annoying!

6. Guards, I know that most guards have set patterns, but randomly generated guard paths would sure spice things up if you ask me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

7.Fast travel!!! pls allow us to fast travel from within a city i.e. top of venice to middle of venice!

8. The water streets need to have more life!!!!

9. More realistic Guard Reactions, don't stand and wait for me to kill!!! oh and get more guards to the scenes of pandemonium, cos when I throw a smoke bomb, the public goes beserk and guards in the surrounding area must come running....

10. OH WAIT HERE'S AN AWESOME ONE!!! Depending on your notoriety have the public aid/hinder you, e.g. they could let the guards know which way you went or block them off, because, after all, you are their saviour http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

11. THE USE OF EAGLES!!! honestly its like the assassin's animal and its not used, a good eagle could distract a single guard or even knock him off a ledge by imbalancing him! imagine 2 or 3!!! yet another cool way to kill....

12.fighting camera system needs to be tweaked for when assassin is in tight spaces.....

Ok I realise that this is like a mixture of what I don't like about AC2 and also wideas I'd like to see in future AC games, sorry, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DJBare
07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by UBOSOFT-Gamer:
DRM
DRM and
DRM

Besides DRM i did not like the feather thing. I dislike collection feather, it's just an dull idea to make the playtime longer, a fill in for that.
^This^ I think it's time to move on from these silly collectables, I used feather maps to track them all down, what do I get a return, a damn cape, one I did not need, but it's not about the end prize, it's about the absolute shear boredome involved just to collect the feathers, I agree with UBOSOFT-Gamer, it's just a poor way to stretch out the game play.

Another thing for pc users, the mouse control is frustratingly slow even at max sensitivity.

El_Sjietah
07-17-2010, 03:01 PM
No one's forcing you to collect them. Like you said, all you get is a cape.

DJBare
07-17-2010, 03:16 PM
No one's forcing you to collect them. Like you said, all you get is a cape. At the risk of offending which I do not intend, collectables such as this in any game seem somewhat childish in my opinion, I think something like earning the feathers might be better, kill a guard collect a feather, kill the next rank up get two feathers, kill a brute and get 3 feathers, I'm just pulling those figures from the proverbial hat, but I think you get my meaning.

El_Sjietah
07-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Well, collecting the feathers is a great time sink for completionists. If you do it without the maps that is. That's why they're there in the first place, to give the completionists something to do. If it didn't take a lot of time and effort to complete, it would really be moot. So the way I see it, is that you either care enough about it to collect them or you don't care enough and don't collect them. Simple as that.

No offense taken btw.

garsis7
07-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I certainly loved this game. The game is so good that I can just walk around the cities and appreciate how was life in Renaissance Italy. How the crowd reacts is good too. But they could add some more things to that.
But the game wasn't perfect for me either. Here's what I didn't like:

1. For the main part, the ending. I was just expecting a nice conspiracy story with this game, but BAM!. All of a sudden the ending makes the game look a like greek mythology movie. I honestly thought the glyphs contributed even more to the Templar vs Assassin's storyline and not to that "other" storyline. I could say much more but I am afraid that I might spoil it for some people, so I will stop here.

2. The Notoriety System. Seriously, it's a good addition, but (for example) how come that when I kill someone with my hidden blades and within 10 seconds all the city's heralds start speaking against me? It makes no sense what so ever. How can the city heralds know everything in less than 10 seconds? (I smell a Piece of Eden =P) They really need to work on that system. It's great but sometimes (like all those who posted before me have stated)it just doesn't make sense.

3. The weird physics. Sometimes I seen bodies end in unreal positions. The body physics are a mess: everytime a body is dropped it looks that the guy I just killed was trying to make some kind of yoga or gymnastics before he died.

4. How many good features don't have much use:
Hiding, blending with the crowd, "social stealth", the economic system. All of those do not have much use. Hiding could be useful, but when you get the capes that makes you permanently incognito when you use them; What's the point? Blending; What's the point?
When my Villa gives me like 30K every 20 minutes but the game barely has 20K florins worth of items, weapons and armor; What's the point?

I think this is what bothers me the most, but it's still an excellent game. Worth my money (and I had to pay more than 60$ dollars for it)
Hats off to the developers of this game.

Vey03
07-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Well, apart from this being one of best games i've played, i love it, it does have some flaws.

First and foremost, is the total lack of regard and complete disrespect Ubi seems to have for PC players.
Cheap and easy port from consoles. Right down to what blinks up on screen for you to press!

And let's not forget our beloved DRM!

Onto other things. Keep in mind i play this on PC with keyboard and mouse.

1) The graphics - oh brother! I thought with all the modern technology we should have gone forward, not backwards.
The detail in some things (buildings, clothing) is lovely. The rest reminds me of Prince of Persia, Warrior Within. Nothing 'moves' with any kind of fluidity. The shadows judder across the screen like they were jumping multiple pixels at a time.
I expected much more.

2) The controls - where do i start? They make the game feel clunky, and instead of fluid, rapid movement, it's just stop and start.

High profile - why do i have to keep holding the damn button? Let me turn it on with one click like in AC1! Please!

Weapon wheel - *sigh* What a way to stop and interupt a game. Why do i have fists mapped permanently? Who uses them after they get a sword?
Same with medicine.
If you're not going to give us the freedom to map our own keys, then prioritise what's more important. AC1 was perfect.
I had everything i needed, and could swap and change in the middle of a fight without feeling interupted.
I love fighting with my dagger, and i find i hardly ever use it anymore simply because i have to go into the wheel to find it.

Leap of Faith - why does Ezio continuously just jump off buildings instead of doing the leap of faith when i'm in the right spot? I cannot run from guard and just leap into hay off buildings, because Ezio decides to kill himself, or end up with 2 squares of health, and not actually 'leap'.
To be sure he leaps, i have to stop, walk over to the pigeons, press and hold high profile, and then jump. And even then, sometimes it doesn't work.
This was so much easier in AC1. Altair just did it! Every single time.

3) Ezio's inability to lock on automatically. If you aren't locked on to someone and they attatck you, you cannot fight, block or defend yourself until they stop their 4 or 5 hit combo. WTF???

4) One thing that really frustrated me about the gameplay is how Ezio is just taking orders from everyone. He never comes up with a plan himself, or helps to come up with one. It's always someone just telling him what to do, and him saying 'Yes sir, right away'.
I mean, come on. I'll buy this at the start, because he's inexperienced. But 1/3 (at least half) way through the game, he should play an active role in discussions, and organising assassinations, not just doing what he's told.
And i don't mean this from a gameplay point of view. Even having a different dialogue would have helped immensely.
Rosa's words ring in my ears; "Go finish your other tasks." What? No!

EzioAssassin51
07-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Mouse03:
Well, apart from this being one of best games i've played, i love it, it does have some flaws.

First and foremost, is the total lack of regard and complete disrespect Ubi seems to have for PC players.
Cheap and easy port from consoles. Right down to what blinks up on screen for you to press!

And let's not forget our beloved DRM!

Onto other things. Keep in mind i play this on PC with keyboard and mouse.

1) The graphics - oh brother! I thought with all the modern technology we should have gone forward, not backwards.
The detail in some things (buildings, clothing) is lovely. The rest reminds me of Prince of Persia, Warrior Within. Nothing 'moves' with any kind of fluidity. The shadows judder across the screen like they were jumping multiple pixels at a time.
I expected much more.

2) The controls - where do i start? They make the game feel clunky, and instead of fluid, rapid movement, it's just stop and start.

High profile - why do i have to keep holding the damn button? Let me turn it on with one click like in AC1! Please!

Weapon wheel - *sigh* What a way to stop and interupt a game. Why do i have fists mapped permanently? Who uses them after they get a sword?
Same with medicine.
If you're not going to give us the freedom to map our own keys, then prioritise what's more important. AC1 was perfect.
I had everything i needed, and could swap and change in the middle of a fight without feeling interupted.
I love fighting with my dagger, and i find i hardly ever use it anymore simply because i have to go into the wheel to find it.

Leap of Faith - why does Ezio continuously just jump off buildings instead of doing the leap of faith when i'm in the right spot? I cannot run from guard and just leap into hay off buildings, because Ezio decides to kill himself, or end up with 2 squares of health, and not actually 'leap'.
To be sure he leaps, i have to stop, walk over to the pigeons, press and hold high profile, and then jump. And even then, sometimes it doesn't work.

3) Ezio's inability to lock on automatically. If you aren't locked on to someone and they attatck you, you cannot fight, block or defend yourself until they stop their 4 or 5 hit combo. WTF???

4) Why does Ezio continuously just jump off buildings instead of doing the leap of faith when i'm in the right spot? I cannot run from guard and just leap into hay off buildings, because Ezio decides to kill himself, or end up with 2 squares of health, and not actually 'leap'.

6) One thing that really frustrated me about the gameplay is how Ezio is just taking orders from everyone. He never comes up with a plan himself, or helps to come up with one. It's always someone just telling him what to do, and him saying 'Yes sir, right away'.
I mean, come on. I'll buy this at the start, because he's inexperienced. But 1/3 (at least half) way through the game, he should play an active role in discussions, and organising assassinations, not just doing what he's told.
And i don't mean this from a gameplay point of view. Even having a different dialogue would have helped immensely.
Rosa's words ring in my ears; "Go finish your other tasks." What? No!

It seems everything you said here only happens on PC, aside from the Weapon Wheel of course!

BTW you said the LOF thing twice!

adarwinter
07-18-2010, 01:09 AM
goota say i havent encountered nearly as many of Mouse03's points. i play on the PC and yeah, pausing to select weapons is indeed annoying (remapping slots for weapons = much better) and ezio COULD take more initiative (maybe in brotherhood) but i have no control issues on my mouse and keyboard whatsoever.
it's fluid for me, when i chased the borgia messengers it was a lot of fun and fluid.
i agree that it's a lil weird that u have to lock on enemies to defend but i dont have issues with THAT. i have issues with the fact that it can take a few seconds untill u understand if u r locked in combat mode or not. Thats MY issue. i am used to pressing F when i am about to get hit but sometimes getting into combat is automatic and sometimes it isnt and it's really hard telling if u ARE in combat mode or NOT.

and i dont understand the issue ppl have with the camera. it's fully in the players control. just move it to where u can see better. that's the point. and u can use the settings to remove the cinematic kill animations too.
i have 0% complain with the camera. if i get hidden behind a pillar or a wall or a tree it's annoying but there's nothing that can be done with the camera. if im hidden than i just move the camera around so i can see.

my issues were stated before:

too easy, too easy, too easy, too easy, too easy.

too much health, medicine, money. guards only do one special action (dodge, counter, power attack. no guard does more than one of these) and too slow, no use for stealth since u can solve all your problems with hacking and slashing HUGE amounts of enemies.

the game is unbalanced like an elephant doing a rope walk in the circus.

solution - DIFFICULY LEVELS!!!!! 90% of the games have this. ubi, stop being so stubborn and put a few difficulty levels. make the current one called "easy" and give us "HARD" that will actually be really hard.
i want some satisfaction in my game.

Vey03
07-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by EzioAssassin51:

It seems everything you said here only happens on PC, aside from the Weapon Wheel of course!

BTW you said the LOF thing twice!

Lol, i moved the LOF under controls, and forgot to delete the other bit. Edited now. Cheers.

I dunno, the main difference between AC and AC2 is the movement and lack of auto lock on.
For me, AC just felt easier, more fluid to move throughout the world. In AC2 it just feel harder somehow. Although i'm not really explaining myself very well, because 'easy' and 'hard' are not the right way to put it.

It's not really the be-all-end-all of the game. Just something that makes it that much more annoying to play.

I've read a lot of comments on here about how easy AC2 is.
I think the game is as easy or hard as you make it. You don't have to get Altair's armor. You don't have to buy any medicine. You don't have to upgrade your weapons and armor. You don't have to go back to the Villa for money.
The only thing you have to do is the codex pages which automatically increase your health.

Same goes for stealth. You can either hack and slash or not. Most situations you can kill without being noticed and get away with it.

Ubi really have left it quite open with both these, which i think is actually very well done on their part. You can choose to do things to suit yourself.

And i too didn't find the camera a problem. The only time it was, was in contextual mode, where you weren't left wasn't quite left, etc. But it wasn't really a huge issue.

LachlanHolt
07-18-2010, 03:30 AM
in ac1 lucy was hot.
in ac2 she was freakaly ugly

also the money system in ac2, though quite fun to collect, was wayyyyyy to easy.

i had over 3 times the max amount of money (said so in my stats) before i finished the game.
but waht can i spend it on.....
even if u lose a sword u can just go home and pick up a new one.

in the end all u endd up buying is ammmo for ure knifes bombs and bullets... and they are cheap as chips.

oh and could u use the sounds from Mirrors edge when someone hits the ground.

oh last thing.... think of some other way to land without hurting yourself.
barrels of hay and cherry blosoms arn't always there to break your fall.

TheSnowmanSaint
07-18-2010, 08:58 AM
AC..needs Co-Op.

Slaterxx
07-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Desmond could have been in good shape, he just didnt have most Assassin skills. In the first fight as him before he goes in the animus he did okay against Abstergos guards. not having the Assassin skills didnt mean he was out of shape, Give him some slack

Rumble_Strike
07-19-2010, 04:01 PM
I loved the game, it gripped me pretty much the whole time of the 43 hours I played it.

One gripe was the Pick Up body/weapon off the floor command (B on the Xbox 360's pad) was very, very flaky. Most of the time, even if the context sensitive text was there, you had to spin Ezio around like a dervish and hammer the B button for ages to get him to do it.

The "Get Rosa to safety" mission was pretty hard because if this. She was very difficult to pick up once attacked.

El_Sjietah
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Must be an Xbox thing. Never had that problem on PC.

aerynrigel
07-28-2010, 02:54 AM
First, I love AC2 as well and found very few negative things or things that needed improvement.
Second,some of your comments cracked me up - insightful but the way you wrote them was just plain funny (i.e. Lucy's mouth being too big in proportion to her face).

I had some glitches but not enough for me to be bothered, distracted or concerned about game quality.

The one thing that really bugged me especially towards the end was Maria, Ezio's mother. It did not make any sense that she would be in her room praying for 10-15 years. Even if you focused on collected all of the feathers, the passage of time was still years.
At one point, after most of the villa renovations were done, I thought "why not have her go to the church or something."

I know that she is a minor character but having her not interact or change positions throughout the timeline was unrealistic. She had such a dramatic role in the escape from Florence that there should have been a few event triggers and dialogue interactions between her and Ezio over time.

I felt the same way about the architect. Once all renovations were complete why was he still there. Leo disappeared after the codex pages were completed so why not do the same thing for the architect.

Strangely, Claudia staying in the same place did not bother me. Probably because I found it funny how annoyed she was at doing work. hehehe