PDA

View Full Version : Modeling blackout for AI

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 01:57 PM
It seems to me the AI is immune to G-forces culminating in decreased ability to control their aircraft. When afixed to an AI's six and pulling hard into a turn or loop, the effects of G's are well modeled in FB 1.2 (and recovery much improved over earlier versions). You start noticing simulated visual impairment that, when sustained, leads to blackout and a corresponding inability to control your aircraft...making you vulnerable until you recover. The AI seems to be able to continue their hard maneuvering and do not have to "ease off", as does the human pilot, to regain vision and flight control. I'd imagine the algorithms that determine when and how much G effects to heap on the human pilot could also be applied to the AI and their response for recovery could and should be modeled for more accuracy.

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 01:57 PM
It seems to me the AI is immune to G-forces culminating in decreased ability to control their aircraft. When afixed to an AI's six and pulling hard into a turn or loop, the effects of G's are well modeled in FB 1.2 (and recovery much improved over earlier versions). You start noticing simulated visual impairment that, when sustained, leads to blackout and a corresponding inability to control your aircraft...making you vulnerable until you recover. The AI seems to be able to continue their hard maneuvering and do not have to "ease off", as does the human pilot, to regain vision and flight control. I'd imagine the algorithms that determine when and how much G effects to heap on the human pilot could also be applied to the AI and their response for recovery could and should be modeled for more accuracy.

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 08:22 PM
yes, that and the seeing through clouds stuff

the AI still has MAJOR issues to be fixed

THIS is the graph:

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/Luftcaca.jpg

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 09:15 PM
GunterAeroburst wrote:
- yes, that and the seeing through clouds stuff
-
- the AI still has MAJOR issues to be fixed

agree

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 09:31 PM
-- that and the seeing through clouds stuff

May not be possible to fix. FB clouds are stationary map features given to the Grafix module, and probably the Grafix module does not give information to the Game or Physics modules, thus AI may have no way of knowing clouds even exist. Although AI do know about airfields on the map. So...I dunno. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Offwhine I fly with no blackout, as the effect is *very* poorly done compared to the beautiful DOS Flanker 1.0 blackout grafix (even Flanker 2.0+ screwed up the blackout effects and made them butt ugly).

Flanker 1.0 redout grafix was the best. You got the redout too from missile hits, intensity depending on the size and/or proximity to missile blast.

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 10:27 PM
''May not be possible to fix. FB clouds are stationary map features given to the Grafix module, and probably the Grafix module does not give information to the Game or Physics modules, thus AI may have no way of knowing clouds even exist. Although AI do know about airfields on the map.''

Hmmm you may be right on that one Lexx
I wish one dude of the dev team would shed some light over that one

THIS is the graph:

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/Luftcaca.jpg