PDA

View Full Version : German pick-up flights in England?

Skarphol
11-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Hi!
I'm reading a quite interresting book written by a norwegian pilot who flew secret missions to drop equipment to the resistance in occupied Europe with Halifaxes. Later he flew Lysanders to occupied areas to deliver and extract agents and people who needed to get out in a hurry.

A thing I came to think of: Did the germans do the same thing in England? Did they have a plane suitable for this kind of flights? That would be a Storch with extra-tanks, or maybe a Do-18 or something.

Has anyone of you history-buffs any information on this?

Skarphol

Skarphol
11-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Hi!
I'm reading a quite interresting book written by a norwegian pilot who flew secret missions to drop equipment to the resistance in occupied Europe with Halifaxes. Later he flew Lysanders to occupied areas to deliver and extract agents and people who needed to get out in a hurry.

A thing I came to think of: Did the germans do the same thing in England? Did they have a plane suitable for this kind of flights? That would be a Storch with extra-tanks, or maybe a Do-18 or something.

Skarphol

fighter_966
11-28-2005, 02:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skarphol:
Hi!

Skarphol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you seen movie- Eagle has landed- Well the author of the book says that its based true story ....But heaven knows..

Waldo.Pepper
11-28-2005, 11:05 AM
With a little research here is what I found out.

Until France and the low countries fell, they used legitimate means. For example they would use regular transportation methods. Ships ferries, etc. and try and hide agents in the normal traffic. Spain seems to be the major route soon after, sometimes Ireland.

I found one account of a floatplane from Norway being used. No mention of the type - but I guess the Arado, as it is small a single engine and would be the most stealthy - but the specific type in not mentioned. The Agent was offloaded to a small boat for the final mile or so.

The Luftwaffe unit most often mentioned with agent insertion is KG200. On the Eastern front they used all sorts of planes. One type specificaly mentioned is the Arado 232 Tatzelwurm

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/ar232.html

On another occasion a normal He-111 was used.

So - so far the answer seems to be anything that will fly. Normal bombers like the He-111 and Dornier would seem to be the most likely.

After 1942 the Germans were far more preoccupied with the Eastern front, and concentrated their efforts there.

Furthermore the British were in fact in charge of all the German agents who were in the country, running them for their own purposes, surreptitiously against the Germans. See "Twenty Commitee" or "Double Cross" for more. If the Germans wre completely fooled they would have no need to try and infiltrate anymore further. It seems this was the case. When they were firing V1's at London the British used these double agents to feed false information back to the Germans to misslead them about the fall of the missiles. Telling them they were overshooting London. Consequently the Germans cut down on the range so that they would hit London - when in fact the weapons which got through would fall a bit short.

berg417448
11-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Allegedly KG-200 used captured B-17's on a variety of clandestine missions:

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/b17fortress.html

MB_Avro_UK
11-28-2005, 01:21 PM
There is no record of a German aircraft landing in Britain to either drop off agents or collect them. The country was too hostile and protected by radar for this to happen (?)

As mentioned in previous posts,all agents were captured and most became 'double-agents'.They worked for the British and provided false information back to Germany.

A fascinating subject that may be worthy of another post??

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Waldo.Pepper
11-28-2005, 01:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">aircraft landing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct howver, 'some' were dropped by parachute. But none were successfuly infiltrated. They were supposed all captured and either turned or executed.

A terrific book on the weedleing out of infiltrators and their interrogation was written by the man in charge of securing Britain by Oreste Pinto. It is unfotunately called Spycatcher (unfortunate because the title these days smacks of James Bond and sensationalism - when the truth is far more mundane). It is an excellent book. Most of the agents were of very poor quality and they were picked up rather easily.

WOLFMondo
11-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Spycatcher is an interesting book.

ploughman
11-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Rather pathetic many of them. Guys were getting picked up at rural train stations because they were asking "fur ein tiket vor London, bitter." Lambs to the slaughter.

Kocur_
11-29-2005, 07:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
The country was too hostile and protected by radar for this to happen (?)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well since Dakotas were able to land in Poland ("Most" or "Bridge" operations, among others parts of V2 captured by Home Army [Armia Krajowa] were transported to England that way), I guess Germans could - in technical terms - land somewhere in the Islands too.

ploughman
11-29-2005, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
The country was too hostile and protected by radar for this to happen (?)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well since Dakotas were able to land in Poland ("Most" or "Bridge" operations, among others parts of V2 captured by Home Army [Armia Krajowa] were transported to England that way), I guess Germans could - in technical terms - land somewhere in the Islands too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. On a clear day with a fair wind and a thoroughly prepared aircraft the Jerries could manage the 23 odd miles across the Channel no problem. Of course a good secret-agent would just swim it.

Kocur_
11-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Err, by "in technical terms" I meant: despite defencehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif