PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite or your own war quotes

ManFromAbove
09-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Whats your favorite war quote? or make one up.

They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist - John Sedgwick

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his - General Patton

Win a battle and you will go down in history as a hero, win a war and you will go in history as a barbarian - Me

Your enemy's army practices for war, your army practices to parade down their streets - Me

koolhandluke777
09-26-2010, 10:16 AM
If the ladies like Justin bieber, then by automatic default, I like Justin bieber - me

It's of topic but funny...

Kohler794
09-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Know your self and know thy enemy and you shall not fear the results of a 100 battles. - Sun Tzu (I think)

Ghoullio
09-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Only the dead have seen an end to war.

Deton_van_Zan
09-27-2010, 02:55 AM
If you want peace, perpare for war - Salin

Deton_van_Zan
09-27-2010, 02:56 AM
and its gen.PATTON who said it

Deton_van_Zan
09-27-2010, 02:57 AM
The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his - General Patterson
srry forgot to put this on last reply

Joppsta
09-27-2010, 04:13 AM
"I know not what weapons world war three will be fought with, but i do know world war four will be fought with sticks and stones" ~ Albert Einstein

TheVoice777
09-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Spooooooon!!!-the tick...

Ghoullio
09-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Lol @ spoon...

Painthreshold
09-28-2010, 10:49 AM
It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire

Ghoullio
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Nice. This century exists for a mind like Voltaires.

Stonewall Jackson said on his forced march to bring his troops to Lee's aid at Fredericksburg:

"I yield to no man In sympathy for The gallant men under my control; but I am obliged to sweat them tonight, so that may save their blood tomorrow."

tomd64
09-28-2010, 08:25 PM
In the Soviet Army, it takes more courage to retreat than advance.

Joseph Stalin

Deton_van_Zan
10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
greatest quotes

- The Marines die, that's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever. - USMC GySgt. Hartman

InfiniteStates
10-03-2010, 05:30 AM
"In war, truth is the first casualty" -Aeschylus

"Incoming fire has the right of way." -Unknown

"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." -Winston Churchill

"War is delightful to those who have not yet experienced it." -Erasmus

"Five second fuses only last three seconds." -Infantry Journal

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." -U.S. Army Training Notice

"Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder." -Unknown

"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo." -Infantry Journal

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." -U.S. Air Force Marshal

"If at first you don't succeed, call an air strike." -Unknown

"Tracers work both ways." -U.S. Army Ordinance

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at." -Unknown

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." -General Douglas MacArthur

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very, accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground." -USAF Ammo Troop

Deton_van_Zan
10-04-2010, 12:38 AM
greatest quotes-
We all know who john glenn is,
f%&k it we aint got much time,
John Glenn..
John Glenn was First American to orbit the Earth
was a senator for the state of ohio
oldest man to go back up into space because's HE'S A PT GOD.
Before all of that. He was a F$%kin Marine
- 1st Battalion 6th Marines, Marjah:Afghanistan

airborneguy
10-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I dont know the name of it, just the sound that it makes when it takes a mans life!

Deton_van_Zan
10-21-2010, 01:38 AM
FREEDOM DONT COME FREE

The American People

InfiniteStates
10-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Deton_van_Zan:
FREEDOM DONT COME FREE

The American People
Certainly not with your defence budget and the crashing value of the dollar.

Deton_van_Zan
10-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by BP_Charlie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deton_van_Zan:
FREEDOM DONT COME FREE

The American People
Certainly not with your defence budget and the crashing value of the dollar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL why does your hate follow me this far... your goin hell-bent for me?? LOL THIS IS A QUOTE THREAD

Mr_Shade
10-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Guys...

Lets not get personal...

Brenbed
10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Murphy's Law - "If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

east_belfastlad
10-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Never in the field of human conflict has so much, been owed by so many to so few.

W Churchill

I am not an Ulsterman, but yesterday the 1st of July 1916, I'd rather be an Ulsterman than anything in the world.

Captain Wilfred Spender
36th Ulster Division HQ
Battle of the Somme.

"Throughout the long years of struggle ... the men of Ulster have proved how nobly they fight and die ..."

King George V

XxXN3MES1SXxX
10-23-2010, 03:16 PM
"Dont shoot the one's that look like you, they are called allies" - unknown american lieutenant adressing his marines.

Cinnamaldehyde
10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning ~Erwin Rommel a.k.a The Desert Fox

Deton_van_Zan
10-26-2010, 01:48 AM
"The only easy day was yesterday!"

US NAVY SEALS

Deton_van_Zan
10-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Life Liberty and the pursuit of happiness

The American People

InfiniteStates
10-26-2010, 03:36 AM
It'll be a great day when education gets all the money it wants and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy bombers. ~Author unknown

I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask, "Mother, what was war?" ~Eve Merriam

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations. ~David Friedman

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953

Everyone's a pacifist between wars. It's like being a vegetarian between meals. ~Colman McCarthy

Nations have recently been led to borrow billions for war; no nation has ever borrowed largely for education. Probably, no nation is rich enough to pay for both war and civilization. We must make our choice; we cannot have both. ~Abraham Flexner

The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake. ~Jeanette Rankin

If we let people see that kind of thing, there would never again be any war. ~Pentagon official explaining why the U.S. military censored graphic footage from the Gulf War

We need a new law that owners of SUVs are automatically in the military reserve. Then they can go get their own ******* oil. ~Jello Biafra, quoted in The Guardian, 3 November 2007

Axe99
10-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Brilliant quotes States http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

Sun Tzu

Deton_van_Zan
10-27-2010, 09:24 AM
nice quotes BP, do you have any quotes you like from the nation you live in??? i see you use US MILITARY quotes. but yet you can bash on USA .. funny to me.

InfiniteStates
10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
The content of some of the quotes, coupled with US military arrogance, is funny to me.

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter." - Winston Churchill

"We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France. We shall fight on seas and oceans. We shall fight with growing confidence, and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields, and in the streets. We shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender." - Winston Churchill

"There goes the siren that warns of the air raid,
Then comes the sound of the guns sending flak.
Out for the scramble we've got to get airborne,
Got to get up for the coming attack.

Jump in the cockpit and start up the engines,
Remove all the wheelblocks there's no time to waste.
Gathering speed as we head down the runway,
Got to get airborne before it's too late.

Move in to fire at the mainstream of bombers,
Let off a sharp burst and then turn away.
Roll over, spin round to come in behind them,
Move to their blindsides and firing again.

Bandits at 8 O'clock move in behind us,
Ten ME-109's out of the sun.
Ascending and turning our spitfires to face them,
Heading straight for them I press down my guns.

Rolling, turning, diving,
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again.
Rolling, turning, diving, Rolling, turning, diving,
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die.
Won't you run, live to fly, fly to live, Aces high!!!" - Steve Harris

Deton_van_Zan
10-28-2010, 03:31 AM
" Once that first bullet goes pass your head, Politics goes right out the window "

-Delta force-

Painthreshold
10-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

Adolf Hitler

Ghoullio
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM
“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” - Osama Bin Laden

I include this quote because of its relevance in a war culture. Societies like the Spartans and the Palestinians and certain African countries can overwhelm their enemy by transforming their people from a group who desires peace to one who desires war. If those fires are constantly stoked, then the furor and hatred will create an impressive soldier. Osama is right: We fight this war so that we can resume our lives pre-9/11 while Al Qaeda fights this war because they desire victory and death to their enemies.

The victor in this situation will be the one who will stand longer, as this is a protracted war for dominance. The culture that hardens its heart and does whatever it takes to win will eventually become victorious.

Deton_van_Zan
11-05-2010, 12:51 AM
The Few, The Proud, The MARINES

United States Marine Corp.

Deton_van_Zan
11-05-2010, 12:54 AM
we got eyes in the skys

CIA - Global War on Terror

DrumR0ll
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
"War is written in bloodshed and bound in hindsight"-mine

"CEDE NULLIS"
("Yield to none")
The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

"Who dares winns"
United Kingdom Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment

"Fear naught"
Royal Tank Regt

"The problem with sports and war is that God is on everyone's side."
--Duane Alan Hahn

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.
--Major Holdridge

The best defence against the atom bomb is not to be there when it goes off.
- The British Army Journal

Deton_van_Zan
11-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by DrumR0ll:

"Who dares winns"

thats pretty phat line. i think SAS are mad good, but seals are neck to neck if anything we always kick the door first.

lol @ The British Army Journal really?? i rather be in a bunker lol.

tangoliber
11-05-2010, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrumR0ll:

"Who dares winns"

thats pretty phat line. i think SAS are mad good, but seals are neck to neck if anything we always kick the door first.

lol @ The British Army Journal really?? i rather be in a bunker lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best defense against an atom bomb? Put enemy POWs in every city... One of the reasons we chose Hiroshima was because it didn't have POWs. (We still managed to kill Americans in it though.)

DrumR0ll
11-06-2010, 03:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrumR0ll:

"Who dares winns"

lol @ The British Army Journal really?? i rather be in a bunker lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure they would have the same effect

InfiniteStates
11-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by DrumR0ll:
Great line http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by tangoliber:
One of the reasons we chose Hiroshima was because it didn't have POWs. (We still managed to kill Americans in it though.)
Friendly fire seems to be your speciality - I guess it's inevitable when you're a bit gung-ho though. I'm not saying you're the only nation that has friendly fire - it's a problem as old as war itself, but you guys so seem to have more than your fair share.

tangoliber
11-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Great line http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by tangoliber:
One of the reasons we chose Hiroshima was because it didn't have POWs. (We still managed to kill Americans in it though.)
Friendly fire seems to be your speciality - I guess it's inevitable when you're a bit gung-ho though. I'm not saying you're the only nation that has friendly fire - it's a problem as old as war itself, but you guys so seem to have more than your fair share. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha.. perhaps.

Warforger
11-06-2010, 11:46 AM
"Your life has no value, your death has no cost" - Pol Pot

Deton_van_Zan
11-09-2010, 01:26 AM
" you f$ck up, we pick up "

U.S.A.F CSAR

Deton_van_Zan
11-10-2010, 12:49 AM
" God shows mercy to you, we DONT "

U.S.A.F CSAR - incase no one know whats usaf and csar, united states air force - combat search and rescue. We as americans at war, are willing to risk more lives to save another american life. no other nation will do that for they citizens. thee quote means god will let you in though the gates of heaven, BUT a usaf csar won't. lol we'll spend million and million, and risk more lives to make sure, you wont meet god. GOD BLESS THE U.S. OF AID

injury99
11-10-2010, 02:17 AM
I also have always liked the collections of Murphy's Military Laws. Been around forever in one form or another, I first saw one version on a bulletin board when I was in the AF.

1.Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you are.

2. No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy.

3. Friendly fire isn't.

4. The most dangerous thing in the combat zone is an officer with a map.

5. The problem with taking the easy way out is that the enemy has already mined it.

6. The buddy system is essential to your survival; it gives the enemy somebody else to shoot at.

7. If the enemy is in range, so are you.

8. Incoming fire has the right of way.

9. If your advance is going well, you are walking into an ambush.

10. The quartermaster has only two sizes, too large and too small.

11. If you really need an officer in a hurry, take a nap.

12. The only time suppressive fire works is when it is used on abandoned positions

13. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

14. There is nothing more satisfying than having someone take a shot at you, and miss.

15. Don't be conspicuous. In the combat zone, it draws fire. Out of the combat zone, it draws sergeants.

16. If your sergeant can see you, so can the enemy.

17. If you are running out of everything but the enemy you have found the front line.

18. The harder you make it for the enemy to reach your position the harder you make it to retreat.

DrumR0ll
11-10-2010, 02:25 AM
" God shows mercy to you, we DONT "

U.S.A.F CSAR - incase no one know whats usaf and csar, united states air force - combat search and rescue. We as americans at war, are willing to risk more lives to save another american life. no other nation will do that for they citizens. thee quote means god will let you in though the gates of heaven, BUT a usaf csar won't. lol we'll spend million and million, and risk more lives to make sure, you wont meet god. GOD BLESS THE U.S. OF AID

I believe that most countries do the same, not just america. Britain for example.

To leave soldiers to die is bad for army morale, but most importantly bad for publicity.

InfiniteStates
11-10-2010, 04:21 AM
And oldie but goldie:

This is based on an actual radio conversation between a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier (U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln) and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. (The radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on 10/10/95 authorized by the Freedom of Information Act.)

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid collision.

Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH--I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH--OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Deton_van_Zan
11-10-2010, 05:55 AM
nice one. im 100% sure thats a navy joke. its a given that a battle carrier group would have spotted it . by air or on deck. and nice QUOTE you got there. as for all nation does it.. ? lol look in afghanistan the british use CH-47 to pick up their wounded compare to a U.S. blackhawk. CH-47 are to big to land in hot zones compare to a blackhawk.in the golden hour, a wounded soldier dont got the time to move back behind to a safe area for the CH-47 to land. get the point

InfiniteStates
11-10-2010, 09:00 AM
OMG you're like a rampant terrier. OK, I'll bite...

With our American "allies" firing guns near us, we need bigger medevac choppers.

Stevolutionary
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I haven't read any of these, as the concept of your own war quotes is ridiculous.

If you've never experienced war first hand, then you really should be embarassed and maybe even a bit ashamed at trying make war quotes. It's not just naive, but insulting to the people who actually risked or gave their lives to think your experience of sitting in a basement laying FPS games gives you an insight into the horrors they faced.

Just to remain on topic, here's one from someone who actually did know what he was talking about - Churchill. When Britain declared war on Japan in response to the undeclared attack on Singapore, the foreign secretary (who would normally draft the declaration of war) was away, so Chrchill did it himself, and did so in very formal and diplomatic language, saying...

" Sir,
On the evening of December 7th His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom learned that Japanese forces without previous warning either in the form of a declaration of war or of an ultimatum with a conditional declaration of war had attempted a landing on the coast of Malaya and bombed Singapore and Hong Kong.
In view of these wanton acts of unprovoked aggression committed in flagrant violation of International Law and particularly of Article I of the Third Hague Convention relative to the opening of hostilities, to which both Japan and the United Kingdom are parties, His Majesty's Ambassador at Tokyo has been instructed to inform the Imperial Japanese Government in the name of His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom that a state of war exists between our two countries.
I have the honour to be, with high consideration,

Sir,
Your obedient servant,
Winston S. Churchill"

He was attacked by some for the ceremonial style with a nation that was now a mortal enemy, but famously retorted "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite"

Deton_van_Zan
11-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Ground Zero - 9/14/2001

President Bush-
I can hear you
The rest of the world hears you
And the people..
And the people who knock these building down.
WILL HEAR ALL OF US SOON!

USA !! USA !! USA !!

DrumR0ll
11-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Stevolutionary:
I haven't read any of these, as the concept of your own war quotes is ridiculous.

If you've never experienced war first hand, then you really should be embarassed and maybe even a bit ashamed at trying make war quotes. It's not just naive, but insulting to the people who actually risked or gave their lives to think your experience of sitting in a basement laying FPS games gives you an insight into the horrors they faced.

Just to remain on topic, here's one from someone who actually did know what he was talking about - Churchill. When Britain declared war on Japan in response to the undeclared attack on Singapore, the foreign secretary (who would normally draft the declaration of war) was away, so Chrchill did it himself, and did so in very formal and diplomatic language, saying...

" Sir,
On the evening of December 7th His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom learned that Japanese forces without previous warning either in the form of a declaration of war or of an ultimatum with a conditional declaration of war had attempted a landing on the coast of Malaya and bombed Singapore and Hong Kong.
In view of these wanton acts of unprovoked aggression committed in flagrant violation of International Law and particularly of Article I of the Third Hague Convention relative to the opening of hostilities, to which both Japan and the United Kingdom are parties, His Majesty's Ambassador at Tokyo has been instructed to inform the Imperial Japanese Government in the name of His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom that a state of war exists between our two countries.
I have the honour to be, with high consideration,

Sir,
Your obedient servant,
Winston S. Churchill"

He was attacked by some for the ceremonial style with a nation that was now a mortal enemy, but famously retorted "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite"

yet everyone deals with the consequences, not just the soldiers.

Warforger
11-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Warforger:
"Your life has no value, your death has no cost" - Pol Pot

Oops its "Your life has no benefit, your death has no cost"

Painthreshold
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.

Niccolo Machiavelli

There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.

Niccolo Machiavelli

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Napoleon

Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself.

Francis Meehan

War grows out of the desire of the individual to gain advantage at the expense of his fellow man.

Napoleon hill

Cameron1124
11-26-2010, 04:53 PM

With our American "allies" firing guns near us, we need bigger medevac choppers.

YOu sir have won one of the most sought after awards ever. Many people have tried some have succeded. I hereaby represent you with the "Being able to shohorne your extreme political beleifs into any discussion. no matter how irrelevant" award for extreme pathetic anti American statements in a strategy game forums in a topic about war quotes.

I suspect you will soon get the "trying to win a argument via saying how bad the opponents grammar is" award.

fattoler
11-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Not a war quote but something my Dad (who was in the army) always told me

"Life is a series of disappointments"

InfiniteStates
11-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Cameron1124:
YOu sir have won one of the most sought after awards ever. Many people have tried some have succeded. I hereaby represent you with the "Being able to shohorne your extreme political beleifs into any discussion. no matter how irrelevant" award for extreme pathetic anti American statements in a strategy game forums in a topic about war quotes.

I suspect you will soon get the "trying to win a argument via saying how bad the opponents grammar is" award.
And you win the award for out of context quoting. Why don't you read the forum a bit and establish some contextual history first? Beyond that I can't be bothered to and don't need to justify my opinions to you. And if you want to base your opinion of me from that post, go for it.

AverageSoldier
11-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Cameron1124:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BP_Charlie:

I suspect you will soon get the "trying to win a argument via saying how bad the opponents grammar is" award. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbzl0lsiKu1qa1id2o1_500.jpg

Painthreshold
11-30-2010, 03:59 PM
I find this one abit funny, it was in response to an invasion of the japanese heartland

"You best tell the paramedics to bring 42 straight jackets,why? Because there will be only 42 of us left"

Deton_van_Zan
12-13-2010, 05:47 AM
The deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle

-Gen. John Pershing, US Army Commander of the American Forces in WW1

Deton_van_Zan
12-13-2010, 06:25 AM
I find this one a little funny.

A young marine was being interview, and he was asked:
"What is the Marine Corps' Mission in Iraq?"
He replies: It's to beat the Army to Baghdad, sir."

Warforger
12-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I find this one a little funny.

A young marine was being interview, and he was asked:
"What is the Marine Corps' Mission in Iraq?"
He replies: It's to beat the Army to Baghdad, sir."

Its common practice to create competition between commanders I think ever since Stalin did it in the Eastern front.

Deton_van_Zan
12-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Common practice? Last I remember stalin killed all his high rank commanders, cause they failed their mission or just for not listening, maybe a common practice between us forces. Don't know what you mean, best way write a quote on Stalin forces that shows they were competeing like how the army and marine rival in the usa armed forces

Air_Force_Man1
12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Here are a few quotes I have written myself about war, from things I have read or studied. Currently I am a student in college with the AFROTC, training to be an officer, I'm not active duty yet, but I often think of these things. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"A man is only as good as his weapon. Without one you are helpful to no one and become a liablity to everyone." (be it hand or rifle)

"Being cornered isn't always a bad thing. Atleast your flanks are covered."

"A warrior is not just someone who picks up a weapon. A warrior is a professional, proficient in the tactics and aspects of armed combat. A warrior is driven, to be better than his peers and makes excellence in all his works. A warrior is honorable, integrity and fairness guide his actions. To be held to a higher standard, that is what a warrior is..."

"The use of force is the political move to persuade the opponent to do your bidding. In which, we are the tool used to apply that force, projected at a global scale. That political power is what makes our nation so powerful..."

"The sword is only as deadly as the warrior who wields it. A weapon then, is merely an empty shell without the skilled arm to do its bidding. Thus the military is only half of what you need for an effective force."

"The face of war has changed. No longer are the days of old where countries would de-solve entire fighting forces after conflict. A countries force must be ready and diligent at all times and places. No longer are the times of armies employing defensive tactics. Those that do, lose out to the speed and intensity of the first strike. This is the modern battlefield."

"True courage is defined as watching everything fall apart around you, yet you continue to fight"

"A force is only as strong as its founding principles. Those that value honor and self sacrifice have a far better chance of success than those who fight for their own personal gain."

"Those that want war, never know their true cost..."

“The meaning of honor is this. To do what’s right no matter how much it costs you. If you have nothing left, then you’re doing it right.”

"The difference between a soldier and a great soldier is knowing when to stand and fight, or retreat to fight another day."

"Deterrence can play a major part in any conflict. When you’re walking around the battlefield with the biggest damn stick, you don’t have to use it to get others to do what you want."

"The objective in waging war against another nation is political rather than military. The most effective means of achieving victory is breaking the people's willingness to fight. Cutting supply lines, communications, and other support functions are far more effective in damaging the people's support for war than attacking a military force directly."

“Victory does not solidify lasting peace. True peace can only be obtained by the recognition of the horrors of war and compromise by both sides.”

"Strategic warfare is the ability to destroy your enemy's ability to wage war. Surgically attacking Communications, Supply, Intelligence, and Command assets will make your enemy blind, deaf, and dumb; effectively severing the head of the snake. Without these assets, the muscle of a military force becomes useless."

"At the correct moment and place, a mere show of force can be enough to deter an enemy. You need not feel the sword to know its sting…"

I know some of these may seem like simple concepts, and I suppose most of them are. I hope you enjoy these quotes, I've actually been working on them for a few years. Let me know what you think. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Warforger
12-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Common practice? Last I remember stalin killed all his high rank commanders, cause they failed their mission or just for not listening, maybe a common practice between us forces. Don't know what you mean, best way write a quote on Stalin forces that shows they were competeing like how the army and marine rival in the usa armed forces

He had two generals one for the North and one for the South so that they could compete to get to Berlin. It worked because the Northern one (Zhukov) just kept using human wave tactics until he got to Berlin.

Kohler794
12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Victory does not solidify lasting peace. True peace can only be obtained by the recognition of the horrors of war and compromise by both sides.”

I don't know about this one. I bet a lot of ppl through out history would argue otherwise.

Air_Force_Man1
12-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Kohler794:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Victory does not solidify lasting peace. True peace can only be obtained by the recognition of the horrors of war and compromise by both sides.”

I don't know about this one. I bet a lot of ppl through out history would argue otherwise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh, I suppose so. The point was, winning by military victory alone then ruling with an iron fist does not solidify lasting peace. Those torutured by their regime would eventually rise up.

American Revolution could be an example, maybe even the Roman Empire.

Deton_van_Zan
12-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Hell, these are Marines. Men like them held Guadalcanal and took Iwo Jima.
Baghdad ain't $hit.
-Marine Major General John F. Kelly

DrumR0ll
12-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Baghdad ain't $hit.

your quite obsessed with the marines aren't you?

I've always found them to be rather corny.

MARINES HU-RAH http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Deton_van_Zan
12-14-2010, 06:39 PM
This is a war quote last I remember. Sorry if I can't help you think or write a quote for yourself. I have a friend that went there twice and cause of him I'm here to represent what he did. If your bp's beatch then I understand. But instead of commenting peoples quotes. Make your own. And Marines are corny, bet you ain't got the balls to tell them that. And I hope your not a American.

Warforger
12-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Baghdad ain't $hit.

hahahaha, what year is this? Thats funny.

Anyway Iwo Jima and Guadal Canal were different then Baghdad, Baghdad is a population center, you're not fighting a standing army and the road ahead could be the one that blows you up. Not to mention Iwo Jima was a guaranteed victory from the start, the Japanese soldiers were just trying to kill as many Americans as possible in order to stop an invasion of Japan because of the projected cost. So technically Iwo Jima was a failure because the Japanese succeeded in what they sought out to do.

Deton_van_Zan
12-14-2010, 11:38 PM
What this forum got so dead. People now like to quote on my quotes instead of making their own?? For the post right above me. Dude thanks for sharing, I wish you was there to tell the general that, otherwise don't comment on this quote thread and post one of your own.

Kohler794
12-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Eh, I suppose so. The point was, winning by military victory alone then ruling with an iron fist does not solidify lasting peace. Those torutured by their regime would eventually rise up.

American Revolution could be an example, maybe even the Roman Empire.

Actually the Roman Empire collapsed in on it's self like we're about to do and if you look back at China and Japan's medieval times that's basically what they did. Also I think Russia has got this down pat pretty good as well.

DrumR0ll
12-15-2010, 01:55 AM
correct, I am no american.

All I was saying is that the marines seem to be quite....indoctrinated, prehaps that is the right word.

Being the 'first to go, last to know' is not a motto I would be proud of.

Besides it dosen't matter what the skill of a soldier is in the wars of tomorrow. A nuke is a nuke and a human is a human.

Deton_van_Zan
01-20-2011, 07:30 AM
The Air Force comes in every morning and says, 'Bomb, bomb, bomb' … And then the State Department comes in and says, 'Not now, or not there, or too much, or not at all.'

- Lyndon Baines Johnson, 36th President of the United States