PDA

View Full Version : My advice: Don`t use the super-speed acceleration...

SeaFireLIV
01-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I`ve come to the conclusion that the 10X `super-speed` function is a mistake. The idea is good and meant to help the player get to a location as quickly as possible, but it has a major problem...

THE BLACK SCREEN.

When this kicks in, it has the side effect of completely cutting the player-pilot from his immersion in the mission. It`s like having a door slammed in your face. By the time you go back to your mission, you`ve lost interest or forgotten what you`re really meant to do or are just generally not ready any more.

The Black Screen is a great touch for being killed (shot in the head), but it is in my view a big mistake as a speed up screen.

I would advise only use the 2X, 4X and 8X keys because they still keep you in contact with the sim and your mission - the immersion, feeling of flying is NOT taken away.

Just my opinion.

FRAGAL
01-26-2005, 07:50 AM
nvr use it neway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif i'm online or in the FMB most of the time

SeaFireLIV
01-26-2005, 07:55 AM
I hardly ever use it myself, but when I have it`s a real immersion-killer. It almost makes you switch off. I try reading a book on WWII planes sometimes...

But then I found it`s just better to put the sim on 8X speed and then you still feel in touch with what`s happening. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mllaneza
01-26-2005, 08:10 AM
I was just think last night that the superspeed should leave you with the alst view you ahd and not the black screen. Anything to look at but a black screen...

For BoB I'd like to see a period-style map with the player's route marked on it as time passes. That'd be really cool.

sapre
01-26-2005, 08:23 AM
It doesn't matter to me anyway, because time-skip thing is much slower then 8X.

LEBillfish
01-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Actually, my pilot has apparently gotten lost using it....As i sit there and watch 5 hours of time click off and realize it is never going to stop...

OR...

He time skips BACK to the waypoint I have just flown a half hour myself to get away from....

LEXX_Luthor
01-26-2005, 08:36 AM
I have never bothered with the Time Skip...which is not a time skip in the sense of Instant Space Warp in other sims.

When I make a mission, its designed to MAX OUT out my cpu so there is no idle cpu cycles left over for time speed increases--even the classical FB 2x time speed won't work for me, especially if much combat shooting occurs. Imagine the new Black Screen time skip running at 1x normal time because of so many AI planes and surface units to calculate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

AStotzer
01-26-2005, 08:37 AM
I don't remember it being called SuperSpeed or 10x. Is that where you have to bind the key yourself, and it jumps to the next action or waypoint? I do like that, but sometimes it can take several minutes of black screen to get back in the game. Luckily I have my pc in my living room, so I can watch tv for a minute or two while it's 'jumping'. I like it because flying in a straight line over the ocean for 20 minutes is not fun for me.

fordfan25
01-26-2005, 01:22 PM
i still say its a shame that thay could not put in a true time skip like in CFS2. that was handy.

plumps_
01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sapre:
It doesn't matter to me anyway, because time-skip thing is much slower then 8X. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When time skip is slower than 8x, "8x" will be even slower than that. When your CPU can't handle all the AI calculations with graphics off you won't be able to speedt it up by switching the graphics on.

Time skip can be very fast when few aircraft and AI objects are in the mission. It also depends on your CPU speed.