PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!! Email Virus Scam

JG52_Helgstrand
11-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up...

There is an email/virus scam going around with this attachment:

"mailtext.exe"

I only caught it because whoever is sending these used my email addy as the sender, but it was returned undeliverable so it came back to my address.

The email says:

"hey its me, my old address dont work at time. i dont know why?! in the last days ive got some mails. i' think thaz your mails but im not sure! plz read and check
cyaaaaaaa"

Not even close to my writing style...

Delete this emediatly if you get this or something simular...

Is there any way to stop ppl using your email addy as their own, and is there some way I can report this? I'm pretty pissed off....

JG52_Manteo
11-24-2005, 05:11 PM
RGR tht Bossman. Wilco and thanks <S>

JG52_Helgstrand
11-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Bossman? LOL

Here it is from McAffe...

What is it?
A variant of W32/Sober.gen@MM, W32/Sober@MM!M681 is another mass-mailing worm hiding inside a spam email attachment. When run, the virus displays a fake error message, infects the host computer then sends itself to stolen email addresses. Note: VirusScan users with the latest DAT file are protected from this threat.

What should I look for?
SUBJECT: Examples: Registration Confirmation; Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie; hi, ive a new mail address
BODY: Example: hey its me, my old address dont work at time. i dont know why?! in the last days ive got some mails. i' think thaz your mails but im not sure!

How do I know if I've been infected?
Fake error message ("Error in packed Header") displayed. Outgoing messages as noted above. Note: Receiving an email alert stating that the virus came from your email address is not necessarily an indication you are infected. Mass-mailing viruses often forge (or "spoof") the from address.

pielkop
11-24-2005, 08:53 PM
man i recieved 46 e-mails yesterday alone with all three of those subjects

BlakJakOfSpades
11-24-2005, 11:18 PM
if you open an attachment that is .exe you deserve a virus

JG52_Helgstrand
11-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by BlakJakOfSpades:
if you open an attachment that is .exe you deserve a virus

I didn't open the exe...

No need to be rude, just lettin ppl know..Jeez!

Feathered_IV
11-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Any post by authored Crash is also a virus.

NEVER open them.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

GerritJ9
11-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Crash doesn't have time to make, post or send a virus............ he is far too busy working on a flyable Me155 for IL2FB/PF.

Tully__
11-25-2005, 05:56 AM
Is there any way to stop ppl using your email addy as their own?
Only one... don't give it out.

Reporting the real sender of the email is unlikely to do any good as the email was almost certainly not sent by a person, it would have been sent by the virus from an infected computer. The virus will have used the contacts list on the infected computer as a list of email addresses to use not only for potential victims, but also for fake sender addresses. People are more likely to open the attachment and infect themselves if it looks like it's come from someone they know and less likely to be able to inform the "sender" their computer is infected if the sender's name is falsified.

Enforcer572005
11-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Yeah , i got that, and since i know nobody so idiotic as to talk that way, i sent it back with a very smart @ss remark, which is probably a waste of time since that person doesnt even know they sent it.

Another good argument for retro-active abortion.