PDA

View Full Version : Size of maps and terrain in new sim??

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 10:33 PM
I have been thinking about a couple of things..

Why isnt it possible to create a map that spans over all of europe or another continent?? Yes it would be enormous... but then again, plz rethink.

If Flight simulator 2004 can do this relatively painless over the entire globe even in a multiplayer session, why wouldnt it be possible?

Objects, you say?

Well there are teqniques to make autogenerated terrain such as trees, and small buildings etc... So why isnt it possible?

I have to be honest, but I dont get it.. the terrain in IL2FB is pretty flat and similar all over the place... Yes, there are hills and small elevations and even mounains.. but it feels like the russian taiga almost everywhere, except for some mountain maps. The big forests are same textures all over the place. fields and rivers look all the same..

Why is it that the terrain and maps are so extremely demanding in performance when they doesnt really seem to look different no matter how far you fly on the same map???

If I had one wish about IL2FB or next sim. It would be the terrain.

It could be pretty easy.

You could create a fundamental and very simple looking terrain to start with over a large area. Lets say a very undetailed (textures) map of europe. In the first release, only parts of it would be detailed modeled. Later on, terrain updates or addons could be sold or added as free addons, with planes and objects belonging to that particular area.

Just an example:

Lets say that we have a very simple map of whole europe.
In the original product there would be a detailed mapset of i.e Britain and France available. The rest of the map, would be very simple but detailed in contours. The singleplayer modes would be only in the detailed areas, in this case lets say Britain and France. After each addon with terrain, objects and planes, there would be a new singleplayer mode for that area.

The FMB would allow it to place airbases and some generic objects, so that even if it was simple looking, ppl could at least create their own areas where ever they wanted, and play it online.

Playing these scenarios online would be technically possible by limiting the radius of combat to lets say 1000km of the origninal map.

basically what Im saying for next sim:

either make the maps bigger and simpler, and let us do more in the FMB ourselves.. (a arsenal of objects to play with)

or

Make detailed geographical areas, that look different.. when flyin in them.. And I am talking about terrain, not bridges and houses.

We need some changes.. and new spirit in terrain

wake up!

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

/Petter_Gul
CO, Flygflottilj 16
#1 Swedish Virtual Squadron
http://www.f16vs.tk

"Slider.... You Stink..."

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 10:33 PM
I have been thinking about a couple of things..

Why isnt it possible to create a map that spans over all of europe or another continent?? Yes it would be enormous... but then again, plz rethink.

If Flight simulator 2004 can do this relatively painless over the entire globe even in a multiplayer session, why wouldnt it be possible?

Objects, you say?

Well there are teqniques to make autogenerated terrain such as trees, and small buildings etc... So why isnt it possible?

I have to be honest, but I dont get it.. the terrain in IL2FB is pretty flat and similar all over the place... Yes, there are hills and small elevations and even mounains.. but it feels like the russian taiga almost everywhere, except for some mountain maps. The big forests are same textures all over the place. fields and rivers look all the same..

Why is it that the terrain and maps are so extremely demanding in performance when they doesnt really seem to look different no matter how far you fly on the same map???

If I had one wish about IL2FB or next sim. It would be the terrain.

It could be pretty easy.

You could create a fundamental and very simple looking terrain to start with over a large area. Lets say a very undetailed (textures) map of europe. In the first release, only parts of it would be detailed modeled. Later on, terrain updates or addons could be sold or added as free addons, with planes and objects belonging to that particular area.

Just an example:

Lets say that we have a very simple map of whole europe.
In the original product there would be a detailed mapset of i.e Britain and France available. The rest of the map, would be very simple but detailed in contours. The singleplayer modes would be only in the detailed areas, in this case lets say Britain and France. After each addon with terrain, objects and planes, there would be a new singleplayer mode for that area.

The FMB would allow it to place airbases and some generic objects, so that even if it was simple looking, ppl could at least create their own areas where ever they wanted, and play it online.

Playing these scenarios online would be technically possible by limiting the radius of combat to lets say 1000km of the origninal map.

basically what Im saying for next sim:

either make the maps bigger and simpler, and let us do more in the FMB ourselves.. (a arsenal of objects to play with)

or

Make detailed geographical areas, that look different.. when flyin in them.. And I am talking about terrain, not bridges and houses.

We need some changes.. and new spirit in terrain

wake up!

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

/Petter_Gul
CO, Flygflottilj 16
#1 Swedish Virtual Squadron
http://www.f16vs.tk

"Slider.... You Stink..."