PDA

View Full Version : How to design a flight sim?(better question: how would you do it?)

FA_Whisky
02-14-2006, 06:33 AM
We can all imagine that it will be very hard. Oleg is doing a great job. So i will start this post with a BIG THANK YOU OLEG!!!!!

Now; i am just wondering how a sim like this is made or can be made.

I think that is you look at it the most simple way it will be like this:
First there is the need for a virtual environment. I do not mean land/sea/clouds etc but grafety and air must be modeled. When this is done it does not matter that kind of object you want to move in this environment. It can be a plane, but also a brick or a little ball. It is than possible to give all the object their basic characteristics like size(drag), weight, thrust(if it has an engine).

When this is done the other stuff needed can be modeled. basically a plane needs weight, lift, drag and thrust. As it move through the air these things change(AoA).

Than land/sea/coulds can be modeled. These do not need any physics(or very little) since they do not move from one location to the other.

IF you do it like this changes made to one object do not change anything in another object. In the case of planes, all planes can be moddeled like they should. You know enginepower, top speed and weight. this allows you to calculate drag. The most difficult will be drag, thrust and lift changes when the plane changes its AoA.

I know it is very imple how i put it, but what do you guys think?
And how do you think Oleg made this sim?

oh, and pls do not flame http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif me.......

BluesmanSF
02-14-2006, 06:38 AM
"And how do you think Oleg made this sim?"

..or how God created the Earth? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

joeap
02-14-2006, 07:02 AM
You think it's so simple to model the environment do you?

triggerhappyfin
02-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Oh ye´s, we can have fantasies about what kind of a flightsim we should be able to make!

But fact remain - there are no professional developers out there, who, with the same instuments as our Russian friends, have managed to get even near the level of FB!
Much pro´s and con´s has been brought forward by people about the "world" of FB and the level of reality, FM-wise and DM-wise.
IMHO we´re gonna wait for long before the competitors will be anywhere near the quality of IL-2-series. Whatever flightsim I tend to start always something bothers me of not beeing even near the qualities of IL-2-series.

The great feeling of actually beeing in a virtual 3D environment is firstclass. The sunlight is as irritating as in real life when you fly on a course at it or try to spot enemies in that direction. Some flightsims present the sun as a little white circle, that dont bother or inflict in gameplay whatsoever! The airy feeling of the flying environment etc etc.
It´s so much more than only the models of planes and targets. It´s the overall feeling that makes IL2-series without competition.

Actually ther are only two more flightsims that I enjoy. Lockon(but the color of water and sun sucks!) and the old helosim, Gunship(the only helosim sofar with anykind of flying realism) with its great animations of hitting your targets and the flightpath of your munition.
The FM´s in Gunship reminds of those in IL-2-series.

rnzoli
02-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by FA_Whisky:
Now; i am just wondering how a sim like this is made or can be made.
Hereby I dutifully insert my usual link to a realism-oriented flight sim (it modelled torque way before Il2 did), where you can actually find out, instead of speculating about.

If you can't understand everything about their discussions, then accept that it is darn difficult to get a sim like this together - and it is equally difficult to keep it together as time goes by and improvements come to hardware, software, etc. , increasing user demands etc.

http://www.flightgear.org/

FlightGear is an open-source, multi-platform flight simulator.

Direct link to discussions during January (developers' mailing list).

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=1...ate&viewmonth=200601 (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=1919&max_rows=25&style=ultimate&viewmonth=200601)

Brain32
02-14-2006, 07:54 AM
How would I do it? I would hire O.Maddox and his crew because I don't know shi* about programming and 3D modeling, or anything else about that matter...

FA_Whisky
02-14-2006, 08:11 AM
I know how hard it will be to make something like this. Just wonderen how it was done? How do you make something like this???? And i am not talking about 3D models of planes and stuff.

rnzoli
02-14-2006, 08:39 AM
A starting point is to break down this awfully complex task into subsystems, pieces of the software dealing with a certain group of tasks.

Your guessing is right, in the reference above there's a different part of the software dealing with terrain modelling, flight modelling (so-called 'resolver': give the current a/c flight parameters, and the forces acting on it, and it will respond with what the aircraft will do next), damage modelling (with obvious feedback to the flight model, e.g., loss of lift and increased drag due to shot up wing), and of course the gaming pheripherals (joystick, soundcard, keyboard etc.)

The breakdown itself is easy so far, however the things are pretty complex even within the subsystems (think of interfacing issues with different graphix cards). But at least it's a number of similar things, that can be done by a team together.

The good thing in FG is that you can activate debugging of the software, and it will give nice diagnostic messages about what it is doing - what subsystems do exactly what. Like a glass casing for a fine clockwork - marvellous. Thousands of innovative manhours.