PDA

View Full Version : "Warclouds" is fun!

Fehler
12-28-2004, 04:23 PM
This is to make Sparx feel better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I <3 joo Sparxie!

LeadSpitter_
12-28-2004, 06:41 PM
yup out of all the servers i do fly warclouds most. Its always full and always has alot of skilled players.

FatBoyHK
12-28-2004, 07:24 PM
yup, I fly on WC exclusively... why? simply because it provides the best connection, best players, best setting, best planeset, best gameplay, best everything. Challenging and fun!

Wolf-Strike
12-28-2004, 07:56 PM
I agree Warclouds has worked magic to bring me back to PF.I was doing the easy servers and there is no immersion.But then I found Warclouds and it just has the perfect settings.The icons are perfect,the missions are perfect and my connection is perfect.Great Server,thanks Sparxs.

Dale

Diablo310th
12-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Awwww man...you all are going to give Sparxie(?) a big head now. We'll never be able to live with him now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Akronnick
12-28-2004, 11:35 PM
I like flying on Warclouds but something strange happens when I do. I'll be flying along, all by myself, nobody in sight, when all of a sudden, I hear a loud banging noise, followed by major pieces of my plane breaking off. This never happens to me when I fly offline, is this a bug? is there something wrong with my rig? Could someone please explain why this happens!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

griego
12-29-2004, 12:10 AM
LOL, getting shot down like that is a... well you know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Fish6891
12-29-2004, 01:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Akronnick:
I like flying on Warclouds but something strange happens when I do. I'll be flying along, all by myself, nobody in sight, when all of a sudden, I hear a loud banging noise, followed by major pieces of my plane breaking off. This never happens to me when I fly offline, is this a bug? is there something wrong with my rig? Could someone please explain why this happens!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exos gotcha http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

*Bump* for this topic
I agree, it truly doesn't get much better than Warclouds and I'm quite sure that +90% of the people who fly there would agree.

Cheers Sparx!

WOLFMondo
12-29-2004, 03:06 AM
Totally agree Fish but I wish more guys would get on comms though, makes a massive difference, even with 3 or 4 people communicating, looking out for each other.

BenvZijl
12-29-2004, 03:17 AM
i got my headset so you will see me more on TS

ulil
12-29-2004, 03:25 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifmostly my server of choice,thanks for hosting!

Fish6891
12-29-2004, 11:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
Totally agree Fish but I wish more guys would get on comms though, makes a massive difference, even with 3 or 4 people communicating, looking out for each other. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tru, WC would not be the same were it not for the TS server that it provides us. Not only is it great for the tremendous amount of enhancement it brings to team tactics(Speaking of teamwork, Mondo actually flew blue for a change, we took some Focke-Wulfs up and kicked some red a-rse! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), but you get to talk to some really cool people from all over the world; Yankees, Limeys(Mondo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), Krauts, those crazy croc-wrestling Ausies and more. Too bad the number of players in TS always only abut 10% to 15% of the ppl flying in the server.....then again maybe its not such a bad thing...50 ppl on TS, imagine the CHAOS! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Whats nice tho is that its usually the same ppl who get on TS, this way you develope a better comraderie which in turn results in better teamwork.

Regards,
Fish

Akronnick
12-29-2004, 11:19 AM
How do you connect to teamspeak?

Mysticpuma2003
12-29-2004, 11:34 AM
True Warclouds deserves much 'bumpage', and can I please ask all players who use it, to install teamspeak, as has been said here. It makes it so much easier to get kills, fly as bait for your wingman to take down an attacker, etc. Iceman was an awesome wingy the other day as well as Mondo when I hit Jaba's He-111 with my rockets. Fantastic server, fantastic players. BUMP!

Fish6891
12-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Mysticpuma, do you fly only as "mysticpuma" or do you also fly under the name of "puma"?

I often see a guy named "puma" flyin around but the other day I locked horns with a P47 pilot flying cap over the red base named "mysticpuma". I remember thinking, "What a strange name, not seen him around b4".

JG52Uther
12-29-2004, 11:50 AM
When JG52 fly in WC as a squad we use our own ventrillo comms.Just because you dont see a lot of guys using the server comms,does'nt mean people are not using their own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VFS-22_SPaRX
12-29-2004, 02:30 PM
S~ all

Glad you all are enjoying the server. If its not a fun place to fly, no reason running the server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Nice to see more people taking advantage of the Teamspeak server as well. Gets a little crazy in there some nights with alot of players.

See ya in the air

SPaRX

LStarosta
12-29-2004, 03:13 PM
I wish my PC could handle WC :/.

Mysticpuma2003
12-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Fish, only fly as Mysticpuma now....however if puma was very good...i'd like to take credit for him too! Seriously though it's always been Mysticpuma or Mysticpuma2003 (the name I made my last movie, "47 Heaven", under).

I've been playing on UK Dedicated for about the last year and decided to make the change to cockpit on (they were ww view and externals with padlock). I have to say Warclouds has made me approach the game in a new way, which I really,really enjoy, and at-last I can make evasive manouvres that work because there is no external padlock.

BTW if you fly allies,please,please use teamspeak as the axis have a monopoly on it (fair play to them) which means they have a much better team effort, so get your mike fixed in and lets get some chatter going up there.Please use TS, you know it makes sense.

I'm glad I've moved over to Warclouds, at long-last I feel the real commoradery in the air which I have longed for in this game.

BTW, Track IR is a near essential purchase if you want to get the most out of this game, if you haven't got it, get it, if you have got it tell the others how great it is.

P-47's forever.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GUARD4000
12-29-2004, 04:29 PM
SPARX, thanks a lot for running this great server, i do eajoy flying on Warclouds.

But i dont like the server rule "vulchin is allowd and encouraged. this is war, so protect your base".You said that this game is a gentlemen's game,but vulchin is absolutly no gentlemen's manner.The most skilled players will not vulchin,and even your server will send messages like "winners dont vulchin" to the players. So it seems like everybody agrees that players should not vulchin.

The problem is that vulchin is allowed, and there are some players who do nothing but vulchin,they just go direct to the enemy base and shoot the rolling,landing and taking off planes,and keep doing this until they get shot down and kiched out.They may have a lot of fun by doing this(pretty exiciting maybe),but they should play 3d shooting game like doom3 or Counter Strike,they should not play this game,or at least not on Warclouds.And their behaviors do give other players a real bad day.People just cant accept getting killed in this way,at least i cant.When i get shot down by some skilled players,i know that i have made a mistake or that guy is a better player.But when i was killed on the runway,i get real angry and i will do everything to kill that guy.I will shoot the pilot even after he bails out.

The greed and laziness cause vulchin and steal,which are the worst behaviors on Warcloud,because they devastate the online battle,which supposed to be a gentlemen's game.
I dont know what we can do about steal,but vulchin can and should be prevented.Why dont change the rule into "VULCHIN IS NOT ALLOWED HERE,WHOEVER VULCHIN WILL BE KICHED OUT AND BANNED".This would be better for the most players.

May it be that one day the WARCLOUD is the best server,not only because "only the best fly here",but also because players have their best (skills and morality)behaviors here.

Salute

Dammerung
12-29-2004, 04:37 PM
If you get Vulched, your Team Screwed up.

Fehler
12-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Well, I really didnt mean for this to become a thread debating vulching, but since we want to talk about it, let's talk...

Vulching is/was one of the most common ways to keep the enemy at bay while launching your own operations. Pearl Harbor, The onset of The Battle of Britain, attacks on enemy airfields (Tons of P-47/51 gun footage strafing German airfields), the initial days of Desert Storm, are all examples that various air forces have used vulching as a sound tactic.

It is acceptable because in war, the idea is to make your enemy submit to you be any means necessary.

Now, lets take a closer look at Warclouds. One side is always set to defend targets while the other is set to attack. That is the way the missions are planned out. So, part of a good attack would mean to eliminate your enemy over the target zone. What better way than to make it difficult for him to get into the air?

Yes, I have been frustrated by repeated vulches on an airfield I was trying to take off from. That said, I rarely vulch myself. I dont condemn those that vulch; it is a sound tactic. But for every tactic, there is a counter... in this case, protection of the airfield with a CAP.

FI.Snaphoo
12-29-2004, 11:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GUARD4000:
SPARX, thanks a lot for running this great server, i do eajoy flying on Warclouds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, it's a great server, run by a reasonably knowledgable host/admin. The people that I've met on that server are great to fly with, and against.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But i dont like the server rule "vulchin is allowd and encouraged. this is war, so protect your base".You said that this game is a gentlemen's game,but vulchin is absolutly no gentlemen's manner.The most skilled players will not vulchin,and even your server will send messages like "winners dont vulchin" to the players. So it seems like everybody agrees that players should not vulchin. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one hates "vulchers" more than me. (Ok that's probably not exactly the case but bear with me.) Mostly because I seem to be extra susceptible to "vulcher" fire. But, I wouldn't ask for "vulching" to be removed from the game, as the server seems to be a digital representation of WWII, not AirQuake. And WarClouds seems to be in a minority of good servers that do have discernable missions for both sides, rather than letting all just shoot it out over the ground.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The problem is that vulchin is allowed, and there are some players who do nothing but vulchin,they just go direct to the enemy base and shoot the rolling,landing and taking off planes,and keep doing this until they get shot down and kiched out.They may have a lot of fun by doing this(pretty exiciting maybe),but they should play 3d shooting game like doom3 or Counter Strike,they should not play this game,or at least not on Warclouds.And their behaviors do give other players a real bad day.People just cant accept getting killed in this way,at least i cant.When i get shot down by some skilled players,i know that i have made a mistake or that guy is a better player.But when i was killed on the runway,i get real angry and i will do everything to kill that guy.I will shoot the pilot even after he bails out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Attacking your opponent at his base, as Miyamoto Musashi said in the book of 5 rings, could be called, IIRC, the Fire and Stones cut. Attacking your opponent before he is a threat. Perfectly logical, even if it is a bit frustrating when on the receiving end. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
The greed and laziness cause vulchin and steal,which are the worst behaviors on Warcloud,because they devastate the online battle,which supposed to be a gentlemen's game.
I dont know what we can do about steal,but vulchin can and should be prevented.Why dont change the rule into "VULCHIN IS NOT ALLOWED HERE,WHOEVER VULCHIN WILL BE KICHED OUT AND BANNED".This would be better for the most players. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because something might be better for you, doesn't mean it should be best for all. I disagree with the laziness claim, as it takes a lot of work and effort to find an enemy base after the mission starts, and avoid enemy planes, then attack planes on the ground while being shot at by AA. That's hard to do. Just ask anyone who's done it successfully. I have a good deal of respect for those who can successfully vulch. Even if I don't like that they are doing it to me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>May it be that one day the WARCLOUD is the best server,not only because "only the best fly here",but also because players have their best (skills and morality)behaviors here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is already the case, IMO. Warclouds is one of the best because the best fly there, and the group of guys that hang out there are flying well within the parameters of the server rules.

~S

Remember "vulching" is only wrong if you get caught.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

civildog
12-30-2004, 01:53 AM
Gee, I always thought the people on WarClouds were rude.

Everytime I fly on there to meet people and make new friends all the people on the Blue side start shooting at me and chasing me around. Makes me want to cry sometimes. Can't we all just get along and discuss our differences like reasoning beings? (sniff)

gombal40
12-30-2004, 02:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Akronnick:
I like flying on Warclouds but something strange happens when I do. I'll be flying along, all by myself, nobody in sight, when all of a sudden, I hear a loud banging noise, followed by major pieces of my plane breaking off. This never happens to me when I fly offline, is this a bug? is there something wrong with my rig? Could someone please explain why this happens!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well thats because u choose the wrong fuel. It makes the sparkplugs all screwy.

Warclouds is a very good server. Glad its around

Lucius_Esox
12-30-2004, 04:27 AM
Have not flown on this server b4, and most of the other "larger" one's because I never seemed to be able to get in, i.e. the option to connect to server wasn't there? Hehe, anyone know why? What I was doing wrong?

Completely stupid: My desktop res was not allowing me to see to the bottom of the page, mm

The good thing about being stupid is that life can be so much more exciting

GUARD4000
12-30-2004, 05:12 AM
Fehler,sorry for hijack your thread.

But anyway i still want to talk about it.
I know that vulchin is a great tactic in war,
but in war the air forces have radar and other alert systems,and they have strong AAA batteries and many planes to protect their airbases.But these things we dont have on warcloud.What we have on warcloud is a big map and about 20 planes for each side.No alert systems,almost no AAA(they are too few).These make vulchin too easy.FI.Snaphoo said that vulchin is hard,what i cant agree with.If i take a fw190a9 with mk108,just like someone did on warcloud,the vulchin is just too easy.I just dont go directly to enemy base,but go around(the map is big,it is easy to not be spotted when people dont want to).Then i can BnZ the planes on enemy bases.With 2 mk108 it is real easy to get kills when shooting ground targets.
When i find i am in trouble after i get some kills(i mean i find a lot of angry enemy players comming to kill me),i just rtb.The red bases is usually near the borderlines.So i will be in our territory before they get me.When things go real bad,i just bail out.Sometimes i may be lucky,that no mustang is nearby and i can rtb.THIS IS TOO EASY,NOOBS CAN DO THAT.

I want to fly on warcloud not for a war experince(if i want to get a war experince,i will choose the pilot career)but for showing and improving my skills.I want to fight against and with the best,and only the best fly here.When i get shot down by some skilled players,i can learn something to improve my skills.But when i get killed on my base,i can learn nothing,and i dont want to waste my time for hunting a maddog.

So i hope that you guys can understand me and agree with me.The vulchin should not be allowed on warcloud.

Salute.

WUAF_Badsight
12-30-2004, 05:27 AM
your a big boy , im sure we wont see you in a clock tower with a .303 remington anytime soon . . .

http://img55.exs.cx/img55/5856/Vulchwhine.jpg

FI.Snaphoo
12-30-2004, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When i get shot down by some skilled players,i can learn something to improve my skills. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. When you have an excellent dogfight, you can learn many things from it, whether you win or lose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But when i get killed on my base,i can learn nothing,and i dont want to waste my time for hunting a maddog. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This statement is untrue. There is something to be learned from this scenario. Teamwork. Without it you will fail, and be shot to bits at your base. If you hunt alone you will die alone on servers like this one. If you don't have a team-mate in the air at the point you take off, your side has most likely started losing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So i hope that you guys can understand me and agree with me.The vulchin should not be allowed on warcloud.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand you. But I don't agree with you. As long as the missions remain "realistic" in nature, then the tactics should remain as equally realistic as possible.

That over with... Well put Badsight!

Yay warclouds!

You may now rejoin your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress....

GUARD4000
12-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Badsight,you are right,i am a big boy,just 20 years old,you guys have much more experince than i do.When you guys get vulched,you guys may say"**** happens".But as a big boy,i still cant controll my mood.

What i want is just to fight against and with the best.So i like flying on warcloud even vulching is alllowed there.What i am trying to say is that vulching is no good for the most players and should not be allowed on warcloud."Warcloud" is fun but it can be and should be improved.

Btw,what is the meanning of "im sure we wont see you in a clock tower with a .303 remington anytime soon . . ."? My english is not good,I just cant understand.My post has nothing to do with a clocktower or a remington rifle.What are you trying to say? Is it a joke or something?

Salute

Akronnick
12-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Back in the sixties, an ex-Marine went berzerk, got his rifle, climbed a clock tower, and killed a bunch of people on a University campus in Texas.

Capt._Tenneal
12-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Charles Whitman. (his name)

What Badsight means is that you seem to be a reasonable fellow and won't "go crazy and start shooting" when he tells you that <then read the sign he posted>.

GUARD4000
12-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Guys,thanks for telling me the story.I dont know that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
Badsight,i can and will get over it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TX-Zen
12-30-2004, 04:24 PM
My thanks to all of you for not getting into a hissy fit about server settings or honorable game play. <S>

Warclouds requires teamwork, no ifs-ands-or buts, and part of that teamwork is base security.

It REALLY helps to be on comms with your teammates to alert against the occasional incoming vultures and it REALLY helps to loiter a bit after takeoff to CAP rather than just head straight for the fight. Doing so means there are always some planes overhead and when the vultures do try to make an attack, they will be met with a CAP force hopefully before they can wreak havoc.

It's all about teamwork and WC is so competitive that it requires a heck of a lot to be successful in. If you really want to improve your DF skills, this is the place precisely because that competition. Mastery of gunnery, of energy management and of your own plane's characteristics is important, but on WC you will learn the most important skill of all in this game...cooperation.

Fehler
12-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Guard4000, I too understand your frustration. I have tried to lift off a badly vulched base many times, and without help of other players, it can be very annoying.

That said, Warclouds always has multiple bases to condict operations from. Getting on comms, I routinely ask if "Base in C-2,1 being vulched?" If anyone is there they will know and respond.

That's part of what Zen.. Oooo TX-Zen again! said in his post. Communication is essential to get the best out of your gaming time.

If you dont have it, I recommend downloading Teamspeak and connecting to the Warclouds TS server. It really helps to have comms.

These maps are large enough where the entire enemy force is not vulching all your bases at the same time.

The desert map that was once used was so small, that within minutes, the entire allied air force was sitting above the German field, taking turns killing planes trying to take off. THAT was extremely annoying! But in some ways it was fun as well; dodging other LW flyers and screaming P-51/47/38's.

You may have just had a short bad experience at WC. It's OK, we all have bad days. Tonight, some P-63 jerk seemed to find me every stinking time I went to the target area. I ate 37mm rounds for about an hour and decided that this wasnt my night, and I better go find something else to do before I put my fist through the computer screen. LOL! That said, you can bet your will find me back there tomorrow night playing again.

The people you will meet there also add to the great fun. Everyone is great. Even Copperhead is a pretty nice guy when you talk to him! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (You just have to understand a little "Redneck" though)

SPaRX is a crotchity old fart with a huge wart-riddled nose, but he is a great host. Hey what do you expect... he is from Ohio or something like that... (Secretly he knows I OWN him on his own server.) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just come give it a try again, I promise you will eventually have fun in there. At least Dove-of-Peace doesnt fly there... He is a vulcher elite, Greatergreen-ite, second to none. Although Sgt Pepper is quite a good vulcher as well.

Sharpe26
12-31-2004, 02:12 AM
Warclouds is fun indeed. I'm just wishing some people would limit their vulching to one pass only.

Sun_Ra
12-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Fehler, I think that P63 jerk was me.
Salute

HeinzBar
12-31-2004, 02:44 PM
S!,
We all appreciate the time and effort Sparx puts into Warclouds. It is definitely one of the best, if not the best, server currently on the web for the IL2 series. We all get together and fly our respective sides for the friendship and the challenges of virtual dogfighting.

However, there should be something said for what it takes to make WC work. Sparx, Swiss, and many others put forth a lot of time and effort creating a great server for all of us. Now, we all can help them out...and help ourselves too. Servers aren't free and they need support. JV44, 310th, and others contribute to the funding of the server, but I'm sure there is always the question of, 'how are we going to pay next month's fee?'.

Please take the time to check out Warclouds' website at: http://www.war-clouds.net

Be sure to look to the right section of the home page under 'Donations'. We all can help each other out by providing some funds to keep this excellent server going.

Salute!!
JV44HeinzBar

PS. If your base is being vulched consistantly, then it's your team's fault. IMHO, it's silly to even think of removing vulching. Vulching promotes team work if anything, ie. teamwork in vulch prvention and teamwork in vulch conducting. If someone has the guts and skill to conduct a vulching raid, then I say 'go for it'. Those poor pilots that fly around in the midst of flak and enemy cannon fire never last long in WC anyhow. The 5 minute ban has an effect on the QuakeMonkeys that like to vulch http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yum_Yum
01-01-2005, 05:09 AM
WarClouds for me is ..

Quite simply the best server I can find in terms of what I think are fair settings for all players.
The large nubmers of players and maps make it interesting, The map rotation is very good and not excessive and alows plenty of time to get to the place you want to be in http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now that I have changed all my settings as SP@RX mentioned, and used Hunters82's Guide, I have no more screen freezes or pauses on the WarClouds Server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

I don't see WarClouds as a place for Serious Game Players, Experts, Aces, or Teams cooperation, .. A Dedicated Competition server would be ?? ...like the place TheGoZr has http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It's a fun place where all the settings are fair and the rest is up to you.

See you there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MOH_SKID.
01-01-2005, 06:00 AM
WarClouds is *the* place.

S~
Skid