PDA

View Full Version : black cross red star book opinion

splitter1952
05-13-2007, 08:11 AM
hi,
Is this book a great read and is the price worth it? if so, where can i find it since i have'nt been successful so far,

ytareh
05-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Volume 2 is worth paying up to 25 GB/35 euro/45 dollars roughly -probably do a lot better on Ebay.

Volume 1 is a collectors item/investment and goes for serious three figure sums.Ironically Vol2 is far prettier to look at with beautiful colour profiles etc.The standard /quality of Vol 1 may appear a bit lower but then again they are rare Soviet archive photos.And the text in Vol1 is probably better/more interesting

Vol3 isnt out that long and is in my opinion too dear .I may be wrong but think its about 60 euro/40/80 dollars and I wouldnt pay that much ...would love a cheaper secondhand copy though....

All these books deal with 6-12 months of the airwar in the eastern front so if youre looking for Yak3s /La 7s etc you may have to wait for Vol10!(Vol3 is about Stalingrad)

ytareh
05-13-2007, 09:40 AM
My prices/values quoted are of course partially subjective and the cost of postage is factored in ....Id be prepared to pay the same in a local shop and on the net.All these books are the most respected in their field.

wintergoose
05-13-2007, 12:23 PM
I have both vol 2 and 3
They are great books and I think they are worth the price. Vol 3 also has a great layout
Just started on vol 3. Got it 3 daya ago.
Looking for vol 1 too, but it is way to expensive. If you wants this series bay them when they comes out. They just grows more expensive.
What a like best Is the amount of detals and that they often see a combat with known pilots on both side.
There is spent a greate time of researching to make this books.

Ballistic4N6
05-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm about 1/4 of the way through vol 3, and it is equal to or better in some aspects to the first two volumes. Also, the info that delves more deeply into the Stalingrad air war is very balanced and interesting.

splitter1952
05-14-2007, 04:03 AM
thanks everyone for detailed opinions and info,i just received "graf and grislawski" 75 euro's approx. very expensive but then again a collecters item,quality printing,prints,photos,etc.To think that i payed only 10 euro's for *the mighty eighth* a 400 page paper back,. excellent and dramatic read but no photos etc.I found adolf galands "the first and the last" way too expensive as well for what you get,70 euro's !!!!not worth it.Black cross red star is an essential which i will have to save up to and then find.For anyone interested in the pacific i was very pleased with my "Blue devils" a quality and cheap book
on the main 3 US fighters in the pacific, it cost me less than 50 euros,includes excellent prints,photos,very usefull for skiners and modelers alike.
before ending can you please give me the links to where you purchased your copies of black cross red star,thanks.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Opinions about books are very subjective and relative to each individual's interests/desires. However, in my opinion these books do a detailed and excellent job of informing its readers about a heretofore abstract aspect of WWII airwarfare...at least to most of us westerners.

I got Vol2 for $30 and pre-ordered vol3 when Chris Bergstrom (one of the co-authors) came here and posted it was nearing completion. I don't remember what I paid at the link he provided, but it wasn't $80.

TB

Lerxster
05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I have all 3 volumes (got Vol.1 when it was 30 :-) ).

They are good a read with plenty of insight into the air war over USSR and the lives of pilots on both sides. Photos are generally good and the illustrations are great. I prefer the covers of the first 2 volumes (far less busy) but the 3rd has some extra colourful bits inside.

I got all my volumes through Abebooks (http://www.abebooks.com)

http://lerxster.co.uk/BCRS.jpg

splitter1952
05-16-2007, 01:09 PM
thanks link,could'nt get them through our local book store here in switzerland.

ytareh
05-17-2007, 09:41 AM
The neck of some of the retailers of this series of books beggars belief!!!!
OK so everybody knows that the Vol 1 is only marginally less sought after than an original Guttenberg bible but now its started on Vol3 with a variation in prices from 67 to 150 US$.Thats just ridiculous for a currently in print book....Some of these 'chancy' 'independent' retailers on Amazon and that ABE Books site are even trying to make a major killing on Vol 2 which goes cheap enough on Ebay.The sole sales philosophy of these guys must be "theres a sucker born every day".Talk about Buyer Beware!!!

splitter1952
05-20-2007, 03:09 AM
all the time we were getting "not available" and rumours about 150 usd for volume one if you can find it.