PDA

View Full Version : ACR Crossbow



Xiii Chrome
08-25-2011, 07:43 PM
In the Demo showing actual gameplay of altair in ACR, I can't help but notice the templar "traitor" use a crossbow to kill one of the assassins. As I've learned way back, Ubisoft removed the crossbow in AC1 for historical inaccuracies - or something like that. I could be wrong but, why is it in ACR during Altair's time period?

Mikatsuki95
08-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I doubt you'll ever get an official answer to that. Besides it doesn't really matter. Not every detail has to be historically accurate.

kriegerdesgottes
08-25-2011, 07:47 PM
They didn't remove it because of historical inaccuracy. They removed it apparently because of technical reasons. The crossbow def did exist at that time though.

ProdiGurl
08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
I have troubles with the knives in ACII - alot of times they don't kill at all. I love the Crossbow.

Azula2005
08-25-2011, 08:05 PM
They removed it in favour of throwing knifes
not historical inaccuracies

twenty_glyphs
08-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
I have troubles with the knives in ACII - alot of times they don't kill at all. I love the Crossbow.

Are you locking onto your target? In Venice the rooftop guards take 2 knives to kill, while in other cities it's just one.

kriegerdesgottes
08-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
I have troubles with the knives in ACII - alot of times they don't kill at all. I love the Crossbow.

Yeah they are much better in Brotherhood for sure, I don't know why some people don't like the crossbow. The crossbow is like one of my favorite weapons now.

ProdiGurl
08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
I have troubles with the knives in ACII - alot of times they don't kill at all. I love the Crossbow.

Are you locking onto your target? In Venice the rooftop guards take 2 knives to kill, while in other cities it's just one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I locked on first but I didn't know that it takes 2 in Venice. That's where I am, so yes that's helps to know. Thanks.
(I'm spoiled by ACB's double knives) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ProdiGurl
08-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
I have troubles with the knives in ACII - alot of times they don't kill at all. I love the Crossbow.

Yeah they are much better in Brotherhood for sure, I don't know why some people don't like the crossbow. The crossbow is like one of my favorite weapons now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea why it wouldn't be one of the preferred weapons - you can't beat it on rooftop jobs. I use it more than anything else.
It was almost imperative to use in the Tank mission.
(just wish it reloaded faster) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Blind2Society
08-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't recall using it at all in the tank mission.

Calvarok
08-25-2011, 08:29 PM
People don't like it simply BECAUSE it's so good. The locking distance being increased means you can avoid all confrontation in a stealth section if you just take half a second to shoot the guards, and you'll never need more ammo unless you waste it all.

I think that if they're going to keep the crossbow in and make it just as powerful, all rooftop guards should do more damage. You should be punished more for your slip-ups if you had the ability to avoid them with your super awesome weapon.

And it's not like it's hard to explain, the rooftop guards all have guns now.

Also, guards should be able to tell that someone shot their buddy from the roof if you shoot their buddy from the roof. Nothing takes me out of the game more than when a guard gets shot by a crossbow bolt or bullet that could be clearly heard from the rooftops/ the direction of the bolt points back to you, and the guards do the normal investigation: checking a bench that is totally empty, or a well, or haystack.

And guards should keep up their search for more than one hide-spot search. They should look on the roofs and patrol the surrounding area for a bit. And if they look up and you're still poking out over the ledge, no matter how high you are, if you are visible, they should instantly detect you and start chasing.

Hopefully the agiles get a version of the hookblade so that they can actually match your free-run speed.

EvolutionIXMR
08-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Crossbow has been around well before the 12th century.

Here you go:

http://books.google.com/books?...20century%22&f=false (http://books.google.com/books?id=dnznUKptrbMC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=middle+east+crossbow+%2212th+century%22&source=bl&ots=p1ed0MPVXH&sig=HD3Mai9e8NHlKran2NuVpzS9ARA&hl=en&ei=YQhXTv7fD8bv0gHC_7GLDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=middle%20east%20crossbow%20%2212th%20century%22&f=false)

ProdiGurl
08-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Blind2Society:
I don't recall using it at all in the tank mission.

Well it's the first quest part for the Map - or was that the flyer?....

Blind2Society
08-25-2011, 08:59 PM
I used it quite meticulously in the flying mission. Once you climb the wall to the compound I killed every single guard there with it without being detected.

Randy 355
08-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionIXMR:
Crossbow has been around well before the 12th century.

Here you go:

http://books.google.com/books?...20century%22&f=false (http://books.google.com/books?id=dnznUKptrbMC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=middle+east+crossbow+%2212th+century%22&source=bl&ots=p1ed0MPVXH&sig=HD3Mai9e8NHlKran2NuVpzS9ARA&hl=en&ei=YQhXTv7fD8bv0gHC_7GLDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=middle%20east%20crossbow%20%2212th%20century%22&f=false)
This. It was removed for technical reasons, and resurrected into Brotherhood when they brought it back and resolved the original issues. Where do people get this idea they didn't exist back then?

EvolutionIXMR
08-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Some more if the OP is bored and wants to do some reading...

http://books.google.com/books?...20century%22&f=false (http://books.google.com/books?id=MH5bGEU3OJQC&pg=PA29&dq=middle+east+crossbow+%2212th+century%22&hl=en&ei=zQ9XTuK0Dej30gH77pygDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=middle%20east%20crossbow%20%2212th%20century%22&f=false)

Xiii Chrome
08-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Ooh thanks for the clarifications and didn't know it was used during those times. Atleast I learned something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AnthonyA85
08-26-2011, 11:21 AM
I was waiting for someone to mention this.

I saw the crossbow too, and while i know it was used historically before the 12th century, i'm also hoping that Altair will actually be able to use one this time round.

The crossbow is also one of my favourite weapons. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif it's saved me quite alot, especially at the Castelle Sant Angello. It's also great for taking out pickpockets and Borgia Couriers (I really hope they're easier to spot in ACR, or their Turkish Counterparts, I hate the fact that they're muted in ACB, so you don't even know they're there unless you see them)

kriegerdesgottes
08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
People don't like it simply BECAUSE it's so good. The locking distance being increased means you can avoid all confrontation in a stealth section if you just take half a second to shoot the guards, and you'll never need more ammo unless you waste it all.

I think that if they're going to keep the crossbow in and make it just as powerful, all rooftop guards should do more damage. You should be punished more for your slip-ups if you had the ability to avoid them with your super awesome weapon.

And it's not like it's hard to explain, the rooftop guards all have guns now.

Also, guards should be able to tell that someone shot their buddy from the roof if you shoot their buddy from the roof. Nothing takes me out of the game more than when a guard gets shot by a crossbow bolt or bullet that could be clearly heard from the rooftops/ the direction of the bolt points back to you, and the guards do the normal investigation: checking a bench that is totally empty, or a well, or haystack.

And guards should keep up their search for more than one hide-spot search. They should look on the roofs and patrol the surrounding area for a bit. And if they look up and you're still poking out over the ledge, no matter how high you are, if you are visible, they should instantly detect you and start chasing.

Hopefully the agiles get a version of the hookblade so that they can actually match your free-run speed.

Yeah I can't think of anything more fun than being constantly punished for your actions and being weak all the time compared to the computer generated characters. That would be a super awesome game to play as a master assassin. Although I do wish the NPCs were just a little smarter.

Calvarok
08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
People don't like it simply BECAUSE it's so good. The locking distance being increased means you can avoid all confrontation in a stealth section if you just take half a second to shoot the guards, and you'll never need more ammo unless you waste it all.

I think that if they're going to keep the crossbow in and make it just as powerful, all rooftop guards should do more damage. You should be punished more for your slip-ups if you had the ability to avoid them with your super awesome weapon.

And it's not like it's hard to explain, the rooftop guards all have guns now.

Also, guards should be able to tell that someone shot their buddy from the roof if you shoot their buddy from the roof. Nothing takes me out of the game more than when a guard gets shot by a crossbow bolt or bullet that could be clearly heard from the rooftops/ the direction of the bolt points back to you, and the guards do the normal investigation: checking a bench that is totally empty, or a well, or haystack.

And guards should keep up their search for more than one hide-spot search. They should look on the roofs and patrol the surrounding area for a bit. And if they look up and you're still poking out over the ledge, no matter how high you are, if you are visible, they should instantly detect you and start chasing.

Hopefully the agiles get a version of the hookblade so that they can actually match your free-run speed.

Yeah I can't think of anything more fun than being constantly punished for your actions and being weak all the time compared to the computer generated characters. That would be a super awesome game to play as a master assassin. Although I do wish the NPCs were just a little smarter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When I say "punishment", I mean "challenge".