PDA

View Full Version : All you PF newcomers... take this poll..

Bearcat99
01-08-2005, 05:58 PM

Bearcat99
01-08-2005, 05:58 PM
This poll is only for the new people who came to 1C Maddox through PF. If you are a diehard IL2 fan from the old days dont bother taing the poll. What I want to know is Have you or do you plan to get the whole 9 and go for the FB Aces?
Please put in how long you have been simming and how long you held out on 1C sims and why.

Some of you must be sayin d@mn this is a nosey sob...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

AlmightyTallest
01-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Plan to soon from what I've been hearing about it, and the support that I've seen being given to PF and all of the other IL2 series.

I'm just not as interested in the European Theater or Eastern Front from many other sims I've played over the years that covered this theater already. Been simming since Aces of the Pacific in 1992 btw, still have that sim and my homemade mods for it on 20 floppy disks lol.

I am really enjoying Pacific Fighters though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

eddiemac0
01-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Ok, so basically I bought Pacific Fighters this fall because I wanted a "Zero fix," and basically fell in love with the game. I'd never even been much of a gamer, but I occasionally bought historically oriented stuff--the only two things close to Sims I own are Enigma: Rising Tide and Crimson Skies (I still love both). But it felt really great to be flying as close to reality as I could, and lo and behold come Christmas time, I nabbed FB and AEP. I'm here to stay, and once I think I've built some full-real experience in single-player, I will slowly move to multi-player.

Love this sim!

Smidlee
01-08-2005, 08:39 PM
I've haven't really played sims since the C64 days. When I first got PF I happen to notice the last copy of IL2 gold pack was $20 so i got it too. I plan on eventually trying IL2 but was in my strategy games like civilization 3 , rise of nations and gal civ. So i'm more into strategy than sims but I gald I bought IL2 (plus had to buy 512mb more ram) and PF even though I stink at it especially online.

By the way I wonder why my engine cut off when I dive in planes like J8A? This seem strange to me to be realistic

Iggy-Snaps
01-08-2005, 10:11 PM
S! Been flight simming since the days of "Jet Fighter 2" (1990) Have all of Microsoft flight sims CFS 1,2,and 3 also FS 2004 and EAW But my main intrest is the PTO, Yeah I have FB and AEP also but PTO is my "bag" and that's what I fly off line and online in IP games with my friends. all of us have installed PF as a "stand alone" I just love carrier ops. S!

http://geocities.com/335th/pirate2.gif

SHAKER214
01-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Hi Bearcat! I'm fairly new to PF, but I went ahead and got FB and AEP. I love this sim!!! I never really messed with the original IL2 much, although I do have a copy of it. (I just didn't use to have the Horsepower to run it) Now I have a new machine, and it runs pretty good.
I've been flying flight sims since 1998, and my First love was Falcon 4.0 I was in the 214th Predators, and have many fond memories of late night flying with my Squadron. I also have many other flight sims... EAW,CFS1&2,B17 the mighty Eighth,Gunship!,LOMAC .......a lot of others, but needless to say, there only a few that really stand out as Exceptional in my opinion. I would say my all time favorites are Falcon,EAW, and I am finding that FB-AEP-PF is right up there with Falcon!. I just need to get some Online play in to brush up on my rusty old ACM skills

<S> SHAKER

RACFrankenstein
01-08-2005, 11:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smidlee: By the way I wonder why my engine cut off when I dive in planes like J8A? This seem strange to me to be realistic <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's realistic. The J8 and a few other's (someone with more knowledge than myself please feel free to expand on this) were gravity fed fuel, so when you pull negative G's, the engine will cut out. Try a half roll before you dive, that should help.

Ritter_Cuda
01-09-2005, 12:31 AM
I bought PF started playing then check out where to play and found that the HL sever are mostly FB/ACE?PF so bought that. waited got on line made one dive pass system locked up. stater to check into why and found that my system is too old.. sigh new mobo/cpu will be here on tuesday. then i'm doing to get on line and die. untill then i'm playing the qmb for practice
Cuda

HotelBushranger
01-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Got PF last December, wanted to get Il2, then FB, then AEP,so badly, but couldn't find it anywhere in stores, and as I'm a student, can't really get it off an online store. But got PF, dying for FB+AEP though, guess I'll HAVE to buy it online. No doubt worth it though. Quick question: I've seen desert maps, do they come with FB+AEP?

Oh and PS: Been flight simmin on and off for a few years, I've got FS2000 but haven't played it much, not much of a civie simmer. But I always fly the aircraft in games (i.e. Bf42, BFV etc... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif)

VBF-83_Hawk
01-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Bearcat,
I herd about Pacific Fighters and is why I came to IL-2...several months before the release. I did play IL-2 before Pacific Fighters thus is why I did not take the poll.

I must admit I am a bit disappointed with the so called..."Realeased Before Finished" patch up jobs. IL-2 AEP had two patchs and I have yet to see any more for AEP while PF has had three and a forth comming withen three months of release.

However...and a BIG HOWEVER...I think PF is better than any other flight sim for the PTO. I think it has very good potentual if Oleg and company will follow up and get this thing finished.......properly.

If I had purchased PF before AEP, I may have had doubts in purchasing AEP due to the premature release and patch updates. problems with PF. Since I am now able to somewhat understand the issues, I would purchase AEP if I were interested in ETO or Merged game play, if I had not already aquired them (FB and AEP).

BTW I do play merged due to the community servers on Hyperlobby.

Big &lt;S&gt; and Cheers!!

VBF-83_Hawk
01-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Oh yeah, you said..."the Whole 9..."

For you youngsters!!!!!

For those that do not know, he ment to say or was refering to the term "The Whole Nine Yards"....right?

This was a term that came from the ammo belts on the P-51 Mustang. I forget details now, but a pilot landed and said he used "The Whole Nine Yards". The length of one ammo belt was nine yards.

LEXX_Luthor
01-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Smidlee ............

RACFrankenstein:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Smidlee:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>By the way I wonder why my engine cut off when I dive in planes like J8A? This seem strange to me to be realistic <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's realistic. The J8 and a few other's were gravity fed fuel, so when you pull negative G's, the engine will cut out. Try a half roll before you dive, that should help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Others are Polikarpovs I~153 and I~16, Fiats CR.42 and G.50, Hawker Hurricane, and PZL P11c .

"Pull" negative gee is contradictory slang for pushing the stick forward. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif With these planes (including J8A) watch your tach guage and manifold pressure guage as you push the stick forward. Push to hard too long and the engine is choked of fuel and grinds to a stop.

You can re~start Hurricane, J8A, and P11c engines at any airspeed even 0km/hr, the others require airspeed in excess of about 200km/hr...this is related to their in-game inability to start engines on the ground except at official FB airports. They required external ground starters.

Re~starting engine can take time, and does not always work the first time (experiment with throttle settings when restarting) which is scary when you are at low altitude, and if you are low and slow with some of these planes, you can't dive to pick up the airspeed to re~start. Watch your engine guages when you attempt restart, sometimes it doesn't catch. I love this, especially immersive when you are at low altitude. So, be careful of PUSHING too much negative gees for too long in Hurricane, J8A, Polikarpovs, Fiats, and PZL.

Bumpy stormy weather can also create negative gees sufficient to cut engine at rare times, at least in original FB--have not tried it in FB/PF yet.

HotelBushranger
01-09-2005, 04:39 AM
The only aircraft Ive experienced engine changes is the Zero, pushing down on the stick when turning, then engine blips everytime, don't think it's dropepd out though.

Bearcat 99:Please put in how long you have been simming and how long you held out on 1C sims and why.

ADMIT IT! YOURE A SPY! Youre working for 1C, arent you! ARENT YOU!

Smidlee
01-09-2005, 05:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Bumpy stormy weather can also create negative gees sufficient to cut engine at rare times, at least in original FB--have not tried it in FB/PF yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know , I'm was in a storm with the J8A and it was a nightmare. even in the beginning I was being push off the runway and then my engine kept cutting off during the whole trip. Atleast now I understand the cause.

Quicksand1964
01-09-2005, 10:05 AM
I've not logged a lot of stick time yet, but so far this is the best combat flight, no, I'll go as far as to say it's the best flight sim I've ever flown. Granted I've only been flying for about five years, but I've tried every MS flight sim ever released. PF blew them all away. It is by far the most realistic, and the graghics are absolutely eye-popping. It also runs much faster, even with 3d gunners enabled. As a buff of Naval Aviation history, I spend almost as much time taking screenshots (The built in function is a really nice touch, BTW.) as I do fighting and flying. I plan to get the other titles in the series asap.

J_Weaver
01-09-2005, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smidlee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Bumpy stormy weather can also create negative gees sufficient to cut engine at rare times, at least in original FB--have not tried it in FB/PF yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know , I'm was in a storm with the J8A and it was a nightmare. even in the beginning I was being push off the runway and then my engine kept cutting off during the whole trip. Atleast now I understand the cause. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reasons the engines on the J8A, Hurri Mk1, and I16(can't think of any others) cut out is because they were carburetor fed. Under -G's fuel won't flow through the carb. Most planes in the sim were fuel injected, thats why you don't have this problem in most planes.

As for the weather,heres what I found: I normally fly full real with the exception of spins and stalls turned off. When in this mode wind has a strange effect on aircraft. It makes it very very hard to keep your aircraft on the runway. When I turn stall and spins on the trouble goes away. (although I can still 'feel' the wind) I don't know if its a bug or just the limits of the game engine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif