PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q's

The_Upsetter
10-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Hey all,
I've been playing IL2 again after almost two years out.

Whilst I'm waiting for my ADSL I have been using the time to really improve and make myself a better pilot.

Like a lot of players I got stuck into HL as soon as poss, and enjoyed playing VEF,Bellum etc.... I had a 15 mission run end due to a poor landing, it really struck me that lots of players are good at fighting, many aren't so good at landing!

Anyway cutting to the chase I've put myself on an intesive course of circuits and bumps, emergency landing, landings with no power, one pass hot landings, and even locking off my TIR to help replicate a oil smeared windscreen.

I have to say the effort is yielding results as I now feel confident and in control on approach as compared to wild and hopefull.

As I'm taking the time to really master the finer points of the game prior to going back on-line I've been looking at trim and other CEM issues...

Will a sound knowledge of Prop-picth use, fuel mix, and superchargers really make a difference, and how many players here do this stuff?

Also I'm trying to learn how to co-ordiante my controls esp in turns, I have an X-45 (man I want pedals!) with the rocker for rudder and find that it's really crass with slight input having a very vivid effect!

Please could some kind soul help with some advice or point me in the direction of some sound info regarding correct use of rudder?

One last thing! Any help on how to learn formation flying would be MUCH appreciated!!

dieg777
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
there are two really good sources for info - one is airwarfare , see the link below my sig - read the user manual and the guides and secondly Andy Bushs articles at simhq- see here

http://www.simhq.com/_air/acc_library.html

good luck

The_Upsetter
10-02-2006, 04:12 PM
S!
Thanks for that - VERY good.

OMK_Hand
10-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi The_Upsetter.

Re. Turning.

looking at the effects of the rudder and ailerons seperately;

1) Using the rudder to turn whilst keeping the wings level results in the aeroplane attempting to continue along the original course but with the nose cocked off in the direction of the desired turn. Eventually the plane will make the turn, but it's like skidding around a dirt track in a fast car. A "sloppy and very dangerous operation".

2) On the other hand, turning by just banking the wings, you might notice that there is an initial resistance and hesitation in entering the turn, with the nose being reluctant to move around, even going slightly in the opposite direction for a second. Once established in a banking turn, things are fine until it's time to straighten out, where the same sluggish, wobbly behaviour happens.

So, the two controls are used together in order to turn efficiently. The wings are banked and the rudder is used to facilitate entry into and recovery from the turn.
E.g. To turn right: apply right aileron and a little right rudder together. Establish the desired angle of bank, then centre the rudder (and ailerons in theory) whilst in the turn. To straighten out of the turn, apply left aileron and a little left rudder together, and centre the controls when wings are level.

For formation practise, you could try flying with a AI friend in the quick mission builder. Eyes glued to the leader, find a couple of reference points on his 'plane, keep that throttle moving‚‚ā¨¬¶

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Philipscdrw
10-02-2006, 07:28 PM
If you've put yourself through a deliberate course of circuit training, you are already a mature pilot in a way!

Akronnick
10-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Get those pedals man, they will change your life! (Ok, maybe not but they will make flying more fun)

The_Upsetter
10-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Cheers all thanks for the help

S!

Propwash
10-03-2006, 05:11 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

The_Upsetter
10-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Whats wrong propwash?

S!