PDA

View Full Version : How does Oleg model "wobble" and other FM behavior?

drose01
03-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Just curious, it seems there are quite a few flying behaviors that defy "quantification." How does Oleg model them?

For cruise speed, rate of climb, turn radius, stall speed, and other characteristics, there are data that are generally available and can be used as benchmarks.

But how, for instance, does he determine how much an aircraft's nose wobbles while maneuvering? Or how rough it rides while taxiing? Or any number of other flight behaviors that even if measurable were probably never recorded?

Joonas_P_K
03-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Well some of the crew have been engineers in aircraft industry and know a lot of aeroplanes and how things work in them. So they just know how things go, and use their skills to get it right.

slipBall
03-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't think that there has been that much done in this area...I'm hopeing the the weather in SOW will add this to the sim...making the flight feel more real

Waldo.Pepper
03-21-2007, 01:44 PM
How does Oleg model them?

Option A: "As well as he can."

Option B: "Far better than any of his business rivals/friendly competitors."

T_O_A_D
03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Him and the boys get drunk and start coding in the wobble, and leap from bridges for the Flight model.

I'm suprized you didn't already know http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

K_Freddie
03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Usually I'm trashed when I 'fly', so I never notice any wobble.. I'm so well synchronised.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

StG2_Schlachter
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I am no expert in aerodynamics, unlike Oleg, but maybe the size of the control surfaces in relation to the wing area and overall weight of the aircraft,along with the necessary control forces
can be put into formulas to calculate, or estimate, certain aircraft behavior.

As for the taxiing. The weight of the a/c is distributed among the main gear and the nose/tailwheel for the most part. I guess one can "mimic" realistic behavior with help of some basic physical equations.

p-11.cAce
03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I am another one who hopes that turbulence and other phenomina are modeled in BoB - right now we fly in smooth, static air (except for the strange low level "turbubumbs".
Just imagine fighting your way down a rocking final approach in a damaged -109 in the middle of the day in a desert map...or getting rolled by the vortices and prop wash coming off the back of a formation of bombers...or the thump you should take when you flash behind an enemies six. The weather model in Condor is pretty good at simulating thermal heating and mechanical lift from hills/mountains....maybe it could be used as a starting point?

thefruitbat
03-21-2007, 04:15 PM
see patch 4.02

cheers fruitbat