PDA

View Full Version : FMB Distances

Woodrow79
03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Greetings. Some great info on this forum.

In the FMB, how do you tell the distance between the grid lines or between objects you've placed?

Woodrow

Buzzsaw-
03-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Salute

Each of the large 'areas' in the FMB are 10,000 meters. You can figure out the rest by counting the grid lines.

DKoor
03-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah...
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/map_distance.png

Uufflakke
03-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Buzzsaw-:
Salute

Each of the large 'areas' in the FMB are 10,000 meters. You can figure out the rest by counting the grid lines.

I think you mean 1,000 meters. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TX-Gunslinger
03-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Buzzsaw means that if you zoom out, the higher level grid squares are at 10 Km X 10 Km, i.e. B9, AB12 - size grids are at the resolution he stated.

S~

Gunny

Woodrow79
03-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.

So the numbers on the grid tell you the distance, but you sometimes have to scroll around to find them as they move off screen.

Have been finding the FMB is fairly easy to use in general.

Also, some of the maps are larger than 100km by 100km. The few I've looked at anyway. But I do know what I'm looking at now at least.

Woodrow

Woodrow79
03-17-2009, 12:58 AM
One other Q.

Is there a way to change the speed at which the view in pan view rotates? And/or how many degrees it pans at a time? I'd like to get it as precise as possible. Thanks.

Woodrow

Uufflakke
03-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Woodrow79:
Have been finding the FMB is fairly easy to use in general.

Many things are not that difficult indeed, but it can give some hazzle to find out how to take off from a carrier or launching the V1.
This link contains some very useful tutorials:

http://www.il2-fullmissionbuilder.com/index.php

Hookecho
03-17-2009, 10:34 AM
As to the replys above....kinda....it also depends on your screen resolution and if its stretched to wide screen. So the 10k meter box is close. Best bet is to use a time line distance between 2 points.

We have run into problems correlating positions with real life locations etc.. Its complicated and different for each map. It all starts with one reference pixle on the map and everything generates from there. not sure if that helps or hurts you....

Tully__
03-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by DKoor:
Yeah...
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/map_distance.png

Whatever the scale, the pale grey numbers that appear in the left of this image are in km and appear every 10th gridline. The tell the distance from the zero coordinate of the entire map. In most (but not all) maps the zero coordinate is the extreme lower left corner.

Woodrow79
03-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Right thanks. Have been using the Nutcase's site. Very good. And thanks for the map and additional info, I've got it fairly well figured out now.

One more thing, when you make a mission you have to choose one aircraft? Do you have to make a coop mission to allow choosing any aircraft in the 'arming' screen?

Woodrow

DKoor
03-20-2009, 01:00 PM
One more thing, when you make a mission you have to choose one aircraft? Do you have to make a coop mission to allow choosing any aircraft in the 'arming' screen?

Woodrow Only in dogfight online mode you can choose every aircraft in game (but you must specify it when creating a DF mission).
In coop you can mount any "flyable" position in any aircraft that is in that mission, that is especially interesting because this is the only case when several human players can fly in the same aircraft (gunners, pilot).

In normal offline mission you can fly only one specified aircraft (in case of multi crew aircraft you can sometimes man the other positions if available).

Tully__
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Right thanks. Have been using the Nutcase's site. Very good. And thanks for the map and additional info, I've got it fairly well figured out now.

Woodrow
When making an offline mission (single mission or offline single player campaign mission) you have to designate one aircraft as "Player" to tell the game which squadron the player will be flying in.

For missions intended to be flown as coop missions, you do not need to designate a player aircraft. Players joining will be able to choose from any player flyable aircraft types on either side in the coop mission arming screen. If you do designate a player aircraft when making the mission, the person using the computer that is hosting the mission will not be able to choose. The host will be forced to fly the "Player" designated aircraft. This does not affect other players flying in the coop mission.

For missions intended to be flown as dogfight missions, when making the missions you don't put any aircraft or waypoints in the mission file at all. You place "Home Base" objects and use the object properties to control which aircraft players can choose at each base. Players joining the server than choose a base before going to the arming screen to choose an aicraft.

Woodrow79
03-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Good to know about the Homebase thing in DF missions. So no wayponts or even planes, just Homebase objects. I'll take a look at the default DF missions and see what is in there.

Thanks again all.

Woodrow

Woodrow79
03-21-2009, 04:40 AM
Trying to build a multiplayer dogfighting mission, after placing Homebases for both a red and a blue Homebase and going to 'play' there is no way to select an aircraft in the 'arming' screen.

Just when I thought I had this thing figured out. I checked the mp/df missions that came with the game and can't see anything I'm doing differently. Do you have to have a certain number of objects on the map? Or 'front lines'?

Woodrow

Tully__
03-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Trying to build a multiplayer dogfighting mission, after placing Homebases for both a red and a blue Homebase and going to 'play' there is no way to select an aircraft in the 'arming' screen.

Woodrow
You can't test a DF mission from the mission builder. You have to save it to one of the subfolders in the dogfight folder, then go back to the main game menu and start a server through the multiplayer menu and load the mission that way. You will be the only aircraft in the game unless you've got your firewall and router set to allow hosting and someone joins via Gamespy (if they still exist....), but you can fly around and check your anti-aircraft settings and that your object placement looks good.
You may also need to add at least one static object of the correct colour to each homebase airfield to make them appear in the briefing map.
Note that a dogfight server will not load any moving computer controlled object. All objects will have to be chosen from the Objects menu or one of the Stationary Ships, Stationary Vehicles, Stationary Objects etc.. menus. Objects from the Ships, Trains etc menus will simply not appear in the mission when played as a dogfight.

Any mission you try to play test through the mission builder File > Play menu option will be treated as a single player mission by the game. You can test a coop mission this way but you'll need to set an aircraft as Player if you wish to fly it during the playtest. You don't have to fly an aircraft to play test a coop or single mission, you can just leave external views on and watch the aircraft using the Shift-F2 / Ctrl-F2 views. In coop mode all aircraft not chosen by players are flown by the computer as AI and will follow waypoints and try to achieve objectives in the same way as AI in a single player game.

Woodrow79
03-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Thank you sir, tried it in game and everything works great.

Woodrow

-HH- Beebop
03-22-2009, 05:33 AM
One other Q.

Is there a way to change the speed at which the view in pan view rotates? And/or how many degrees it pans at a time? I'd like to get it as precise as possible. Thanks.
Woodrow
No and no.
Speed: Hard coded into the game. Even the modders haven't sorted this one out.
Degree of rotation: In the conf.ini file it lists the number of degrees of rotation for the 8 rotation keys. I once tried altering that and the altered keys would not move until I restored the defaults.
HOWEVER---
There are times when, for instance, (Stationary) train cars or buildings will not align on the tracks/roads. To solve these problems, select the object, go to 3D view, hold down F5. left click and move the mouse left<>right. The object will rotate analogous to the mouse movement. Once placed that becomes the default "angle" for future objects and you may need to move subsequent objects to get them to align properly.

Hope that helps.

Woodrow79
03-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks Beebop. A litl dissapointing about the pan view speed, but I'll get used to it. I won't mess with the angles.

Thanks again. This forum is very good for quick concise information regarding just about anything!

Woodrow