PDA

View Full Version : OMFG! X850XT Platinum Edition! Sell your first born!

Jumoschwanz
05-13-2005, 11:09 AM
I hate to talk about this as I realize there are a lot of poeple that cannot afford this card.

Oh well, this card F(*&king rocks!

I upgraded from an ATI9800pro. I was hesitant as always about blowing cash on another video card, in the past the progression of gf2mx, gf2ultra, gf3, 9700pro,9800pro yielded only incremental gains in performance, just enough so you did not feel too bad about buying them, just a little.

WEll the X850XTPE is such a great improvement over the 9800pro it is way beyond my expectations.
I have run 1200X1600 resolution for a few years now. I have never been able to run perfect mode at this resolution with the 9800pro though, just not enough framerates to make it good enough to use in combat or make it enjoyable.

The X850XTPE slices through missions in perfect mode like Tiny Tim through a christmas ham!
First I loaded up the second Pearl Harbor defense mission. Lots of water, lots of palm trees and a city, lots of planes and aaa going off.
No sweat. It was perfectly smooth in perfect mode. Oh yea, the rig is an Nforce2 with a gig of ram and a 32-bit xp3200 processor with a sata drive....

Next the real test, taking off from one of the big aircraft carriers with twenty jap<span class="ev_code_RED">anese</span> torpedo and dive bombers coming at it, AAA blazing away. Plus simultaneously SBDs and Wildcats attacking the jap carrier that is defended by zeroes and Ki-43s.

I took off and turned to the horizo that had a swarm of dots and flew right towards them. I took a head on shot at an approaching torpedo bomber then turned and followed them to my carrier. All AAA on the carrier was Blazing away, jap planes were flaming, crashing and dropping torpedoes. I did not attack them as in another attempt I got PKed right off by a tailgunner, and I wanted to see this!

I flew right under some of the enemy planes and over my carrier with guns a blazin, and kept acceptable framerates with no stutter or freeze!

The rates did drop down but not too low that I thought it was too much for the card. As soon as I got past the carrier it of course smoothed back out.
This was an extreme mission I built just to have an extreme mission to tax systems like this.
Again, this is perfect mode at 1200X1600 resolution.

Everything else is improved to, all the details look better, spotting dots against backgrounds and at far distances was much easier. I just cannot say enough about how this card was worth it. It is not twice as good as teh 9800pro, it has to be three or four times as powerful the way it eats up busy missions.

My monitor is a 20.1" Dell 2001FP LCD with 1200x1600 native resolution and 16ms response time. Everything looks better now.

When I roll the plane fast and am tracking an object things are so clear it actually seems as if the plane is flying better!

And on and on and on. I feel really lucky to have this rig and I feel ok about the money I spent on the monitor and card. I got both on sale from dell and Newegg respectively.

If you are serious about flying this sim online and you need an edge in graphics performance this is a fantastic upgrade from a 9800pro. My brother just bought a saphire 9800pro new for $175.00, this card was $445 bucks about two and a half times more. But for once in a graphics card upgrade, you are getting at least two and a half times the video card for your money. You will not regret it. S!

Jumoschwanz

P.S. the Black Death track..

Perfectly smooth, no challenge at all. I even ran it at 8X speed and it was smooth, 1200X1600, perfect mode, no problem.

LuckyBoy1
05-13-2005, 12:30 PM
LOL

Now, remember, you are still CPU bound, so when you do go to the 939 pin mommaboard or whatever, be prepared for the card to help you even more! I'm not saying your CPU isn't enough to take advantage of what you've got... it's just that it is at the low end of the scale to be able to take advantage of the new video card and that's the good news!

I remember when the guys like Hunter82 started posting the results they got and then someone would come back and say they didn't get those good results and I'd be confused... ok, more so than my usual state of mind!

Then I finally fingered it out and yes, if you have the CPU power to push it, they are well worth the obscene prices you must pay to get them and of course, if you want the newer, more power hungry cards to last, you'll get one of these minimum...

https://magnum-pc.securewebsiteserver.net/product_info.php?cPath=39_128&products_id=669&osCsid=9629e29021230cafe54a28aaf65daf00

Can you get away with less? I'm sure many will pipe up and say yes, but in my opinion, you are sliding on the greased rail at that point and why risk such a wonderfull card to anything less?

Jumoschwanz
05-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Well this card will not go to a 64bit computer, it is an AGP card, needed to fit the Nforce2 motherboard.

I do not plane on going 64bit for another couple years. This rig will have to take me into BoB.

What I CAN do, is I have a Athlon xp2400 mobile 35 watt processor put away. Some day when I have the time and ambition I will put it in along with a huge 80mm fan, solid copper thermalright heat sink with heat pipes. These are supposed to run 2500mhz air cooled no sweat.

I did not want to build a new rig, and I figure it is a matter of months at the most before they quit making the top-end cards with an AGP interface. Surely the next-gen cards will all be PCE or god knows what. So to extend the life of my 32-bit machine as much as possible I decided to scoop up a card like this while it was still to be had.

When BoB comes out in a year, or two, who knows, I may be back to excellent instead of perfect, but by that time, I will have gotten my money out of this rig, and the stuff available will make the state of the art now look like krap, and make it easily affordable to build a rig twice as powerful or more as my present rig.

So again, if anyone was wondering if a top of the line X850XTPe could be that much better than the 9800pro, the answer is he!! yeah! This card makes the 9800pro look like a 97 pound weakling in a Charles Atlas add, if you are old enough to remember those.......S!

Jumoschwanz

Freelancer-1
05-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Uh...The "J" word

So, before you get tagged on that one, do tell more.

Where did you get it it? I'm seeing them for $600-$700 canadian.

And was it AGP or PCIE?

Edit: Oops, you type faster than me. Question answered.

Aaron_GT
05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Well this card will not go to a 64bit computer,

There are motherboards which support AMD 64 and AGP. It is just that AGP support is becoming rarer.

OMK_Hand
05-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I bought a new pentium 3.80 GHz system a few months ago, which has a PCI X850 XT Platinum Edition card. It does indeed rock.
The view out of the window is sweet indeed.

Doesn't make life any easier for me though...

BelaLvgosi
05-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well this card will not go to a 64bit computer,

There are motherboards which support AMD 64 and AGP. It is just that AGP support is becoming rarer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a strong possibility that dfi will release their nf3 ultra D board for those who want to migrate their jumbo agp cards.

LuckyBoy1
05-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Anyone dumb enough to think the motherboard makers won't sell you AGP capable boards... well, I just don't know what to say!

WTE_Ibis
05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I use an AMD64 with a 9800xt and Gygabyte mb.
No trouble with AGP. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

MrOblongo
05-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Noone want to give his "old" card to a poor guy who still use a GeForce 2 MX 64MB??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

MoeLarryCheese
05-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by MrOblongo:
Noone want to give his "old" card to a poor guy who still use a GeForce 2 MX 64MB??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

AMD64 FX-53, BFG 6800 ULTRA.

SMOKED my old 9800XT in an one on one comparison.

scored 39 on BD in 1600x1200 32 bit perfect background.

This rig rocks!

ASUS A8V Mutherboard, AGP video.

MLC

Bearcat99
05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

papotex
05-14-2005, 02:12 AM
Jumoschwanz you and are in about the same situation.

just installed the X850XT Platinum Edition and i
can run il2 pf now the way it was meant to be played

runing a p4 3.4 extreme edition with 1 gig ram.
i had a 9800xt and can safely say the X850XT is twice better.

I am done upgrading for a while...did all my spending and now is time to pay my dues