PDA

View Full Version : Not enough multiplayer maps !

Navy_Spitfire
12-26-2010, 10:15 AM
First and foremost, do any of the dev team frequent/respond to these forums?

There will be no random map generator whatsoever and only 10 multiplayer maps available at launch ? Are the devs going to continuously update the game with more and more maps after release ? What exactly is the thought behind not including a RMG : too much labor ? Doesn't work well enough ? 10 is a low amount of maps. Is there an equal amount of free-for-all to 'find the tear of asha' maps ? All FFA ? 2v2 ? 3v3 ? 4v4 ?

Let me get straight to the point. Hotseating is my #1 concern for H6. It's where all the replay value is at. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours sitting alongside some good friends, so I'd like to start a thread dedicated to that, and gauge peoples thoughts and concerns.

Yeah, the community can/will make maps, but most of the community aren't professional level designers, they don't understand flow or the basics of LD. And to access user created content, will I have to log onto ubi.com and browse maps and look at player reviews, or will there be a 'marketplace' in game that I can peruse and play immediately, ultimately making it easier on me? It is absolutely necessary to be able to browse user created content in game. People, myself included, don't want to have to find where all the maps are on a website, then scroll to a potential good map, download it, put it in the right folder, fire up the game, begin to play only to find out it sucks, quit to desktop, repeat. Also, there should be a delete map function so your list doesn't get cluttered, as well as renaming function to remember what sort of map is what (just thought I'd throw in some ideas).

Like someone posted I want to be able to level up my hero to their highest potential, to have 8 hour long games. I don't want to be limited to a few stale maps where I can't even get tier 6/7 creatures before the game ends. Having such a low amount of maps is just inviting people to complain (see this post). People love having the variety of small 2v2 maps versus HUGE 8 person FFA, and with such a limited number of maps is really sending out a sad message to longtime fans of the game.

I don't mean to attack the devs and whatnot but rather wish to give some input as a longtime HOMM player and fan. To me, hotseating is the ultimate multiplayer experience I still play Homm3 because the RMG & amount of maps give me so much freedom to choose, and I understand it could have been easier to implement because of the graphics/hardware limitations.

kodial79
12-26-2010, 02:37 PM
There will be no RMG because the devs are focusing on the Map Editor, is what I hear. I don't know anything about Hotseat yet, and I sure would like them to make that clear. They said though that besides the 10 multiplayer maps that will be in game, more will be available at the official site from the very first day. If you ask me, that's very fishy.

I don't know with what reasoning do they think that we're going to accept something like that. But without an RMG, and even moreso without a Hotseat mode, I just have no reason to play the game.

By the way, you're probably not getting a reply from the devs here.

nqox
12-26-2010, 03:21 PM
It is impossible to have a HOMM game without hot-seat. That is out of question for me.
And RMG was useless for me in Heroes 5 and all expansions. No major artifacts, no very strong neutrals... I never needed to use it.

With map editor, there will be more than enough maps to play with when we visit the forums and they say some will also officially be released frequently. So, I see no problem.

spydrmunkie
12-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Hotseat is a must for me also, my wife and I play Hotseat all the time. As for the RMG the only use I found for it was to create simple maps that I could go in and edit to make them better with less time for multiplayer use.

Navy_Spitfire
12-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Ah, thanks for the update. If they do release maps frequently then that's not a big problem. I can't imagine why they would take out hotseat, and can only hope that they are taking every precautionary measure to make sure it's totally awesome.

Marzhin93
12-27-2010, 04:08 AM
Hi guys,

First of all, sorry for not posting here more often. However we do read everything that is posted on the boards, here and in the communities' forums as well.

Anyway, I thought it would reassure you to know that yes, Hotseat is still in H6 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And I dare hope that it will indeed be totally awesome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Cheers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Julien Pirou
--Heroes VI Lead Level Designer

kodial79
12-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Ah, well, that was surprising. I was just proven wrong and I stand corrected. Devs do read the forums! Yay! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm glad to know Hotseat is in the game. After you beat the SP Campaign once, hotseat is the only way to go, really.

I wish the same could be said for an RMG.

Here's some points of argument as to why I preffer an RMG over a Map Editor.

1. RMG is easy to use, and though you may not be getting the best results with it; the Map Editor requires too much time and effort, trial and error to create something moderately good and simple. Besides, many of us love playing in XL Maps with all factions involved, that's quite a feat to achieve with a Map Editor.

2. RMG is as the name implies, random. Through a Map Editor its quite hard to be fair to all factions and their starting zones while I think there's fairness in randomness. Even if you feel like a faction is favored by the results, it would only take a few minutes to generate another map. Whereas with the Map Editor, you have to start all over again.

3. Creating maps through the Map Editor comes with one disadvantage. You already know where the places of interest are located in the map since you put them there, actually you already know everything! It takes away the fun of exploring an unplayed map. Even playing it for the first time, it doesn't feel like new since you've spent all that time before to create it. RMG though creates a map and simple though it might be, you have to explore every corner of it to discover its possible secrets.

I really, really hope there will be an RMG in a future expansion or at least fanmade ones.

GamerGeek87
12-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Im not realy much of a hotseat player, I mostly play with my brother and do so in lan its just more comfotable having your own pc. Still its good that its included.

I do hope there will be a RMG though. I used it a lot in H5 to create impossible maps without seeing the map beforehand. Id be fine if it made it to the first expansion as I will probably play all the campaigns first.

Nxss
12-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I have been watching this site since it has come online and this topic is the reason I decided to register.

Just like most people in here, I have been playing HoMM for a long time and the one thing I was worried about was the Hotseat.

I really don't care about the lack of resources and the town screen well, I can do without that. The one thing that I can not deal with is the lack of Hotseat.

I was so very relieved when I read the post that said it would be there.

Now, instead of buying one copy, I will buy three! One for the two main puters and then one for one of the laptops.

You guys have made some long time HoMM fans very happy! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Navy_Spitfire
12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
As long as there is continuous content and support from the devs. If H6 releases with 'x' amount of multiplayer maps and after 3 months has the same amount, then that is a poor planning. Sure, a map editor is a fantastic addition because it allows the community to create maps, but under no circumstances should that replace developer created maps.

mcgslo
12-28-2010, 01:39 AM
I totaly agree with original post (Navy_Spitfire) and with (kodial79) about why random map generator is more usefull...

have to correct you nqox: RMG in H5 fas NOT useless... it was worst than H3 RMG with strange templates... but template with name "X2" or something like that was best. Every one has own territory and you can set creature strenght.... and on imposible setting or even very strong... you cant even flag your ore or wood mine... and you have all your strongest artifacts scatered around the map.

I really had only two wishes:
-Good Random Map generator (with diferent templates, an lots of custum settings, etc)

-Really fast AI, that is at least some chalange... and (at least picks up artifacts if it defeats creatures that guards it) type of smart

cheers... cant w8 for H6.

Navy_Spitfire
12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
The thing about the RMG in H5 was that it made very distinct sections. Each section contained one castle & a different type of terrain (if I recall correctly). It was also very open and just littered, and I mean littered, with enemies and loot, which made it ultimately uninteresting.

And as for the templates, they were confusing as hell. What kind of template is "X2YGJN35G6UOO" anyway?

Nxss
12-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that they might release the map editor before the game releases. If this happens, there should be plenty of maps out by the time the game comes out.

For me, that would certainly be enough for me not to care about a RMG. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kodial79
12-29-2010, 11:33 AM
It's not even nearly the same!

Most of the maps made by other users will be coming with their own limitations each. Small maps, medium maps, I don't want them! I want only extra large maps and all factions involved, fair starting zones and as rich in map locations and resources as they can possibly be. And I want all this right at the moment the game's installation is done. And I want many different of them, cause I don't wanna be playing on just one.

That was something only an RMG could provide me with.

Nxss
12-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Well, you are entitled to your opinion and I agree with you about the XL maps.

The biggest one are my favorites, especially when I play hotseat. Thing is, sometimes you want to finish a game the same day. When you have three or more people play hotseat, which happens here a lot, the bigger maps can not be finished.

I am not saying a RMG would be a bad thing, I am just saying that it should not be a necessity if there are a lot of maps of every size come launch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kodial79
12-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Nxss:
Well, you are entitled to your opinion and I agree with you about the XL maps.

The biggest one are my favorites, especially when I play hotseat. Thing is, sometimes you want to finish a game the same day. When you have three or more people play hotseat, which happens here a lot, the bigger maps can not be finished.

I am not saying a RMG would be a bad thing, I am just saying that it should not be a necessity if there are a lot of maps of every size come launch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

That's a big if though... No one says for sure that there will be maps for all tastes and no one says there will be enough of them.

RMG was the safer bet. I don't know what they're thinking really.

Pitsu
12-30-2010, 09:30 AM
you know, there is the campaign, 10 MP maps and no SP maps at release. Even if the editor is released early, it is damn complicated to make a decent map for a game which you have never played and have no possibility to playtest the map. Thus, even if the editor is released today and game in June, there probably won't be many fan made quality/playtested maps at game release.