PDA

View Full Version : Crush depth in game..?

Aragorn87
04-24-2005, 02:16 PM
I heard the crush depth in game is not correct. I have a VIIB and assuming i have 100% hull integrety what do you guys find to be the crush depth in game?

FlatTax
04-24-2005, 03:19 PM
You'll crush by 200m. Same for all VII boats, cheating the later VIIC variants out of 100m or more.

In fact, the C/41 and 42 seem not to be modeled at all, despite being on the list of selectable boats.

quillan
04-24-2005, 03:43 PM
For whatever reason, all boats have a default crush depth of 178 meters. If you head over to www.subsim.com, (http://www.subsim.com,) a guy there made a tool that allows you to change those. You can set it to whatever you like, but I'd recommend sticking with the historical data.

Aragorn87
04-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info, ill be sure not to go past 178m. Hopefully a patch will adress this. Ill check the tool out. Thanks

B_F_Pierce
04-24-2005, 09:33 PM
I just downloaded the 9te U Flotille Mod last night and was trying it out today. I just started a career w/ the 7th Flotilla and took my VII B out for the first time. I dove her to 200m and she held together, despite some creaking and nervous crew. If the crush depth in the game is botched by default, does anyone know if it's fixed correctly in this mod? I obviously didn't crush at 178, but I don't want it to be set unrealistically either. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

ltforce
04-24-2005, 10:08 PM
i dl that patch also but theirs no documentation with it so i dont know wat they set the crush depths to....

Pr0metheus 1962
04-24-2005, 10:24 PM
9th Flotilla mod does feature realistic crush depths, although their mod has a random crush depth 'close' to the realistic one (within 10% or so either way). However, the late model Type VIIC/41s and the early Type VIICs are hard coded to use the same crush depth - you can change the value, but all Type VIIs are treated as if their crush depth was the same (although in reality the VIIC was very different than the Type VIIC/41). If we get someone who can program in Visual Basic we could get him to write a simple program to change the files based on what campaign we were loading, and make a lot of other cool changes, but for now we're stuck with what the developers gave us.

ltforce
04-24-2005, 10:29 PM
so i can use the depths from the manual that comes with the game?? like the operational or the max depths??

Pr0metheus 1962
04-24-2005, 10:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ltforce:
i dl that patch also but theirs no documentation with it so i dont know wat they set the crush depths to.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you run the program there's a button you can click and it lists the historical crush depths for all the game's boats.

Fritz1GD
04-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Oh boy. Sounds like I'll have to dl this little mod here. I JUST got done playing SH3 when I gave up.... I was hunting through some British Islands when I began to stalk two little British Armed trawlers. I dropped 2 fish in the sea and proceeded to dive.... Very strangly... My boat suddenly buckled b/c of pressure at not even 100 meters. WTF. Gay. Haxors.

I've never really heard of a boat with a 100% hull integ. buckleing @ 100 m. Wow. New to me...

ltforce
04-24-2005, 10:51 PM
does it make a difference if u open the game by the FF icon or by the SH3 icon??

Pr0metheus 1962
04-24-2005, 11:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ltforce:
does it make a difference if u open the game by the FF icon or by the SH3 icon?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't quote me on this, but I think the FF icon checks for FF updates before launching the game. I might be mistaken on that one though - i only ever used it once, and I may be thinking of a different icon.

alanschu
04-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Fritz, are you "sure" your hull integrity was 100%?

I routinely go down to 150 m when evading destroyers, and I have never been crushed, whether in the VIIB or the IXC

trebby0
04-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Guys,

The best solution to the maxdepth problem I found is the exellent & elegant mod from
Timetraveller. You can find it at subsim.com in the forums, do some digging it is worth it!

He and others had a lenghty discussion before making an elegant, flexible solution.

1. You can set the max crush depth as ya like
2. You can have the actual crush depth vary between -20 or -10 and plus 5 percent of choosen maximum, ensuring you never know the exact value of your particular boat.
3. You can never set your max cr. depth beyond a certain historical max value (as good as it can be determined), avoiding too optmistic values.
4. Heres the best: when you have an VIIC42 (or VIIC41) you check a box in the installer so that you are able to set maxdepth up to 450m...

Example: Type VIIC
official Yard figures:
100m norm, 200m max (theoretically calculated crush depth)
As a testimony to the quality of the german shipyards, Uboats forced down to 300m lived to tell the tale.
So now you can set your VIIC max to 300m max. You can vary its value between -10 and plus 5 pct, so the boat in game colapses between 270 and 315 meters simulating less than perfect build ,age ect. and giving you wet palms at certain depth.

Have fun, trebby

trebby0
04-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Here is the link:

http://www.delraydepot.com/tt/sh3.htm

cheers, trebby

bootysnapper69
04-25-2005, 09:57 AM
i sure wish they could model the crush depth after SH2, it was awesome, you could inch your sub down and when something popped you could take it up and most of the time you would be ok.

SH2 crush depths were exciting always challenging you to see what you could do based on varying hull integrity.

In SH3, the breaking glass sound is gay and needs to be taken out, i mean really, they make it sound like the inside of the uboat is made entirely from glass from the amount that sounds like its breaking.

Pr0metheus 1962
04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bootysnapper69:
i sure wish they could model the crush depth after SH2, it was awesome, you could inch your sub down and when something popped you could take it up and most of the time you would be ok. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think that would be very realistic. It might make life easier to have such control over your crush depth, but real U-boat commanders never had that much ability to test their crush depth. If you tried doing it that way in a real U-boat you would die, just as you do in SH3.

Redwine
04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trebby0:

Example: Type VIIC
official Yard figures:
100m norm, 200m max (theoretically calculated crush depth0

As a testimony to the quality of the german shipyards, Uboats forced down to 300m lived to tell the tale.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Trebby, a type VIIC in most places have 230m as Max Operational depth, it is a depth intended to enlarge the hull life, not the crush depth.

In example, if you never pass down this value of 230, you hull will have (example only) a live of 3000 dives, if you pass often this value, your hull life will be reduced dramatically by structural stress, in example only, if you pass this value up to 260m in 50% of dives, your hull life will be reduced to 500 dives only. (values for examples only)

Some info fonts stablish the theoretical crus depths was about 50% or more over that value.