PDA

View Full Version : G25 clutch+gas combined for rudder?

HomeboyWu
03-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I just got the Logitech G25 wheel, which has 3 pedals. I'd like to have clutch and gas combined to a single axis for rudder use, but how? I've tried setting clutch to brake and brake to clutch in the profiler, then using "report combined pedals", but it seems the actual combined pedals are still brake+gas. Any ideas?

sc1949
03-30-2008, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by HomeboyWu:
I just got the Logitech G25 wheel, which has 3 pedals. I'd like to have clutch and gas combined to a single axis for rudder use, but how? I've tried setting clutch to brake and brake to clutch in the profiler, then using "report combined pedals", but it seems the actual combined pedals are still brake+gas. Any ideas?

Have you tried setting them in the HOTAS section under controls, press the right one (I think), change if it's reversed, I.ve used wheels pedals as rudder for yonks, and find them OK, only missing that both feet don't move together like on proper rudder pedals, but was CHEAP.

Stiletto-
03-30-2008, 12:02 PM
I actually use the G25 Pedal set for IL-2 myself. You don't need to use the Logitech Profiler, infact I don't have it installed even for the racing sims I play, and I have had my G25 for 15 months now. Go to control panel, and go to the g25 controls menu. Since rudder control is on the same axis and gas and brakes are 2 different axis's... You need to check the box that says "combined gas & brake axis (used in most games)" while this is misleading, as almost all racing games support dual axis gas and brakes and should never be used on the same axis, it is true for all flight games to combine the axis!

Now all you have to do is go to the control menu inside of IL-2 and go down to the Hotas section at the bottom. Where it says Rudder click on that and then press either the gas or brake pedal that are now on the same axis and it should assign it. Now you are ready to fly with your nice shiny medal racing pedals as rudder pedals! You don't need anything in the time part of the control menu assigned, just make sure they are assigned in that bottom "HOTAS" section.

You will notice that the left rudder is alot stiffer than the right do to it being the brake pedal, this takes some getting used to but these are VERY precise and expensive pedals, they do just fine in IL2. If you want, you can setup the clutch pedal as the wheel brake, this is what I do. Though I thought about contacting logitech to see if they can make an option for the clutch and gas pedals to be on the same axis because the resistance is much more similar than the brake pedal.

Also if anyone is looking for cheap rudder pedals, you could get an old non-ff wheel from logitech, microsoft, saitek, or madcatz for give or take $20.

Hope this helps.

HomeboyWu
04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Stiletto-:

You will notice that the left rudder is alot stiffer than the right do to it being the brake pedal,

This is exactly what I want to avoid: left rudder being stiff. I want it to use the clutch pedal instead of the brake.

Stiletto-
04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
As far as I know you can not do this. I suppose you can modifify the resistance in the brake or gas pedal, or maybe if you physically switch the wires in the pedals between the brake and clutch then it would work.. I've actually thought about posting on logitechs forums if they could patch the control software so the clutch and brake could be the same axis, but I'm so used to flying with it like it is now.

Also there is a company that makes these little rubber squishy pellet inserts that you can put in the brake pedal to make it have even more resistance, maybe if you put it in the gas pedal things would be more even, but the your racing games would be jacked. Last thing I can think of is to put half a tennis or raquet ball underneath the gas pedal to give it more resistance. It's what people used to do with cheap thrustmaster racing wheels 10 years for their brake pedals which offered very little resistance back then.

Black_Ops7
04-12-2008, 11:35 AM
So there is no way to edit a ini file or something that will make left rudder use a other axis then the right rudder?

Stiletto-
04-12-2008, 12:26 PM
In the IL-2 controls, under the main controls and HOTAS section, it has one input for rudder that you can select.. If it had left rudder and right rudder sepereate, then I'm sure you could use 2 axis, but it would do exactly the same thing, pressing down both axis would cancel each rudder out just like single axis so noone has bothered to do split axis to help out those who use racing pedals.. Might I add, racing pedals with a clutch, which in itself is a somewhat a niche market.. Now take racing pedals with a clutch, and look at how many are trying to use them in a flightsim, it gets to be even more of a niche market for something like that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . It would be best to ask on the logitech forum if they can make a patch to split the axis between any 3 pedals you want.. Though I am quite used to the brake pedal now, even though the pedals have different pressures, the G25 pedals are extremely accurate and work well if you can get used to them.

Morgg-
08-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I have managed to combine clutch and gas pedals in the G25 using some programs:
- PPJoy
- GlovePIE

You have to create a virtual device in PPJoy, and then write a script in GlovePIE that combines the values of the two G25 axes into one axis in the virtual device (PPJoy.Analog0).

The GlovePIE script is as simple as this:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">//Combined throttle (Y) and clutch (dial) make virtual joystick axis.
PPJoy1.Analog0 = 0.5*Joystick1.y - 0.5*Joystick1.dial
</pre>

If you have the HOTAS connected too, you may have to change the Joystick1 to Joystick2 or whatever ID the G25 has. Just try and test in Control Panel.

I hope it helps... I will write a guide when I solve the problem of assigning the axis in game.

b2spirita
08-19-2008, 02:58 AM
stiletto, have you a link to $20 pedals?

edit: i see you mean wheels, nevermind,

DD_crash
08-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Mod a joystick! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif good thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/3821084134)

oeqvist
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi! I had this working earlier prior to installing my CH gear but now I canīt get it to work no matter if I try joystick 1 or joystick 4?

I have a set of CST pedals instead of a G25... I shouldnīt map anything to that really only the PPJoy joystick? It doesnīt detect anything if I try to hit the throttle or clutch while trying to assign that one though

Metagroboliser
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Guys,

I've been using the PPJoy/GlovePIE combination to get the G25 clutch+gas combined rudder for a while now. However, I'm now looking at upgrading to Vista/Win7 64-bit. Is anyone using PPJoy/GlovePIE on Vista64?

Neil_Lowe
04-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Guys,

I've been using the PPJoy/GlovePIE combination to get the G25 clutch+gas combined rudder for a while now.

How did you get Il2 to recognise the new virtual controller?

The virtual joystick appears and functions correctly in the control panel/game controllers applet. But when we try to assign the rudder in the HOTAS section in the game, only the y (accelerator pedal) axis of the G25 is picked up and assigned.

All help truly appreciated,

Cheers, Neil http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sberci
07-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Neil_Lowe:
[QUOTE]Guys,

I've been using the PPJoy/GlovePIE combination to get the G25 clutch+gas combined rudder for a while now.

How did you get Il2 to recognise the new virtual controller?

The virtual joystick appears and functions correctly in the control panel/game controllers applet. But when we try to assign the rudder in the HOTAS section in the game, only the y (accelerator pedal) axis of the G25 is picked up and assigned.

All help truly appreciated,

When you've successfully configured the virtual joy, you have to edit manually the configfile.
device0 = g25 pedals
device1 = saitek evo
device2 = virtual ppjoy.

example:
"D:\games\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\Users\doe\settings.ini"
AXE_X JoystickDevice2=rudder
AXE_X JoystickDevice1=aileron
AXE_Y JoystickDevice1=elevator
AXE_Z JoystickDevice1=-power

EAK355
10-10-2009, 06:45 PM
anyone have tested those programs in win7 64b?

EAK355
01-15-2010, 08:34 AM
any news?

Morgg-
03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I still haven't tried it, but the author of PPjoy is working on a new version compatible with x64 systems:
http://ppjoy.blogspot.com/

MikkOwl
03-12-2010, 02:46 AM
I have a G25 also, and I used clutch for rudder left, and gas for rudder right.

PPJoy was used, with "GlovePIE" similar to explained here already. PPJoy sets up a virtual controller that can be seen and used by games (DirectInput type controller), and glovepie is used to make an existing controller control the virtual device that PPJoy provides. PPJoy is only an empty shell that doesn't do anything on its own.

It worked fairly well. My gas pedal was experiencing nasty stuttering which was a problem and I had that off-set axis bug (still do) in IL-2 1946 making centering the rudder a bit difficult.

I did at the time not know how to make IL-2 recognize the controller, because moving anything in the HOTAS section would make it register the actual controller instead of the virtual one. So I had to edit my user.ini files to manually type in the correct device ID of the virtual controller and the correct axis. BUUUUT a few months later (recently) I read that GlovePIE has a setting that one simply enables, that will block the real controller from moving, making it only move the virtual controller. This should make IL-2 directly see and recognize the make-shift rudder when moving it in the HOTAS section.

EDIT: IF you have a G25, you HAVE to find a way to mount the steering wheel on your left side, and set it as an elevator trim wheel. I did this and it was SUPER fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Realistic, accurate (2.5 turns from lock to lock gives some very accurate, laid back trimming).

Also, the G25 pedals as rudders was actually easier to fly with and more laid back (only lean the top of the foot forward a bit to do adjustments - with rudders you move the whole freaking leg, heel and all, and the other leg must also move an equal amount in the opposite direction towards you). But the rudder pedals are far more immersive and fun.

BTW; also make use of the shifter unit for functions. Can use the 6 speed shifter for all kinds of things, or put it in semi-auto mode for whatever. Plenty of buttons for use. If you have a desk with drawers, you can pull out a drawer and mount it downwards, making the panel come out at an easy to read and accessible way without having the shifter in the way.

Bedazzled
03-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I also use PPJoy and GlovePie. You can fix the off-centre axis issue with a bit of trial and error just by tweaking the numbers and adding an adjustment factor in the script.

irR4tiOn4L
03-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Ive just done this with PPJoy and GlovePie for wings of prey, thanks all!

I didnt need to adjust the ratios as i didnt have an off centre axis

MikkOwl
03-13-2010, 02:13 AM
But wings of prey has seperate rudder left and rudder right as option.. there is no need to do this in it. Only for sims that accept only a single axis for the rudder.

irR4tiOn4L
03-13-2010, 10:06 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Oops!

(I assumed because its built on the IL2 engine that its basically the same thing)

Hincey
04-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi there. After a bit of tinkering I have this working kind of but need a bit of help ironing out a rather small but big issue.

If I set the right pedal on the G25 to do the rudder controls in the HOTAS control section then the rudder is all the way to the right.

If I set the left pedal on the G25 to do the rudder controls in the HOTAS control section then the rudder is all the way to the left.

So when I load up to a quick mission and flying I am "crabbing" (not the correct term I am sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) and to fly straight I need to depress the right or left pedal according to which way I have set the pedals in the control section.

I know it must be something easy but I just can't get my head around it. Only managed to get it this far through luck more than judgement.

Hope this makes some sense.

Any help is mostly appreciated.

Hincey

Stiletto-
04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
I think when it asks you to press the rudder down in the HOTAS section, it is getting it backwards, so instead of pressing the pedals down when it says to assign a control, have them completely depressed before hand and then when it says "assign input for rudder" lift your foot off of the pedal to assign the opposite motion. Then your rudder won't be fully deflected it should be neutral.. Hope that is what you are talking about.

Hincey
04-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Nope I have defiantly gone wrong somewhere then. Because that didn't work. I explained it poorly / wrong also I think from further investigation.

More explanation about what's going on:

I can only ever bind one pedal (Any one of the 3, Throttle, Brake and Clutch) to control the rudder at all. So once bound to fly straight I need to press whichever pedal I have selected half way in to make the rudder neutral, release it for full rudder one way and press it down for full rudder the other way. Pressing any of the other 2 pedals makes no difference once you have bound one. Hope that makes you a little bit clearer on what's going wrong.

Here is the rough steps I have been through:

I have used GlovePIE and entered this code:-
//Combined throttle (Y) and clutch (dial) make virtual joystick axis.
PPJoy1.Analog0 = 0.5*Joystick1.y - 0.5*Joystick1.dial

Installed PPJoy and can make a virtual joystick. Then test that in Control Panel>Game Controllers >Properties of virtual joystick 1

So now in that window when I press down on my right pedal (Throttle) the cross-hair goes to the left and back to the center and when I press down my left pedal (Clutch) the cross-hair goes right. N.B. (nothing happens when I press my brake)

Load up the game and proceed to pull my hair out in frustration as it doesn't work AGAIN. I can feel that I'm so close, probably doing something amazingly stupid and easy to put right. I hope anyway.

Thanks in advance

Hincey

Hincey
04-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Getting closer! I used this bit of code to edit the settings.ini in the il-2 folder:
AXE_X JoystickDevice2=rudder

The only issue now is that when I put the right pedal down that steers the aircraft to the left and vice versa. Is that correct? If I pan the view down to my feet while using my rudder it presses the opposite pedal so that would indicate that it isn't.

Tried editing that bit of code so that the axis was inverted on joystickdevice2 to Y instead of X to look like this but it doesn't fix it:
AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=rudder

I could just about live with it but if I do that then the computer has won! I must be a whisker away now.

Hincey
04-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Sorry to spam but i have sorted it. Pretty easy i guess if u have any brain unlike me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Put a [-] behind the [=] to reverse the axis!
AXE_X JoystickDevice2=-rudder

If someone with a bit more knowledge out there could do a guide for others I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated for the next me who comes along http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the help Stiletto

Stiletto-
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I see, I still think that "-" number you get in front of the rudder, can be assigned by doing the opposite thing in the control assignment menu, but good to see you got it working.