PDA

View Full Version : Rookie and expert. Wingman and leader.

Kuna_
09-25-2006, 10:05 AM
OK I had this dilemma lately... should experienced player fly leader position and rookie wingman or vice versa?

I know the probable answer, but I have taken into consideration that when enemy is on our six we need swift reaction and rookie is unlikely to provide one.

SithSpeeder
09-25-2006, 10:12 AM
The difference between a rookie and a leader is training. Beyond the basic "knowing how to fly various maneuvers", you have to train for the situations that you are most likely to encounter. The lead gives the command and they execute the plan together. So when someone bounces your six, lead calls a half split and both guys know what to do.

The leader generally has more experience positioning the pair in an offensive position, to answer your question directly. But on defense, they are both responsible for keeping each other alive.

The roles can change during a fight, but the leader typically knows what tactic (welded wing, loose deuce, etc.) to apply better and when to do it. Communication is key.

YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

Lucius_Esox
09-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Interesting question. Historically I suppose the more experienced leads. In this game though where a pair seems to be the most used formation its nice to have the experienced player watch the fight,, as long the inexperienced does what he's told.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hmmm, what do others think?

PBNA-Boosher
09-25-2006, 10:23 AM
In offline campaigns I usually guard my wingmen, because otherwise they end up shooting me down trying to steal my kills. I, in turn, rip the peeps on their tails to shreds, and keeping close to my wingy allows me to call on them for use as cannon fodder when necessary. (IE, I draw them to fire on the dude shooting at me so I can break away.)

JFC_Rautaristi
09-25-2006, 10:25 AM
The way i see it, leaders role is to keep the rookie out of danger. in combat, if i'm the leader, i concentrate on keeping the fight in control. Plus, in case anything goes wrong, It is a lot easyer to react from wingmans position if the leader is attacked than from the leaders position if the wingman is attacked.

With that thinking, leader should always be the most experienced one.

Edit: As mentioned on above, the positions are never fixed, still, in most cases the more experienced one has the better "vision" of things.

Diablo310th
09-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Normally the experienced player would lead but i've found that for training a less experienced player it sometimes is best to follow and give advice. I think it,s harder for a newer pilot to stay with a leader than it is the other way around. As Speeder said...it's all about communication.

Tater-SW-
09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
A buddy of mine, new to flying sims used to fly my wing. He was good enough to stick with me, and at least try and scare the bad guys off or warn me if they got the jump on me. I would then seek out likely targets for my friend, at which point I'd pass lead to him, and tell him to have his way with the contact, and he needn't worry about his 6 at all. He got a few really nice kills that way.

As for AI, they all suck, so I ignore them most times.

tater