PDA

View Full Version : OT: A new form I call "SimFic"

paulhager
11-09-2005, 06:38 AM
I was talking to someone the other day about my foray into creative writing, initially describing it as being like "FanFic" - Fan Fiction. Except that it isn't. FanFic is fiction based around characters someone else has created. Sometimes the storylines are mere offshoots of what someone else has created as well.

Those of us writing "patrol reports" based on our in-game missions or, like me, a story surrounding and anchored by such missions, are creating a different form. We don't have pre-fabricated characters but we are generally constrained to some measure of historical accuracy and, of course, the outcome of a given patrol. It really has more in common with historical fiction than anything else. Since the principal constraint in a storyline is the Sim - I propose that it be called "SimFic."

Take my character, Herbert Altmeier, as an example of the form. I got the name from a Chief Sr. Warrant Officer with FLAK skill on board the U-340. Other than the name, the character is wholly my creation. What is uniquely different about SimFic is that I, the creator of Altmeier, don't know whether or not he will survive any given patrol.

So, there you have it - a new kind of fiction.

paulhager
11-09-2005, 06:38 AM
I was talking to someone the other day about my foray into creative writing, initially describing it as being like "FanFic" - Fan Fiction. Except that it isn't. FanFic is fiction based around characters someone else has created. Sometimes the storylines are mere offshoots of what someone else has created as well.

Those of us writing "patrol reports" based on our in-game missions or, like me, a story surrounding and anchored by such missions, are creating a different form. We don't have pre-fabricated characters but we are generally constrained to some measure of historical accuracy and, of course, the outcome of a given patrol. It really has more in common with historical fiction than anything else. Since the principal constraint in a storyline is the Sim - I propose that it be called "SimFic."

Take my character, Herbert Altmeier, as an example of the form. I got the name from a Chief Sr. Warrant Officer with FLAK skill on board the U-340. Other than the name, the character is wholly my creation. What is uniquely different about SimFic is that I, the creator of Altmeier, don't know whether or not he will survive any given patrol.

So, there you have it - a new kind of fiction.

JU88
11-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Would be nice if some kind of "simific" was actually incorperated into sim games, rather than leaving it to modders and players imaginations, It would gives simulators a little bit of personality that they lack so much when compared to games with a real storyline and character development.

Silent hunter 3 with RPG elements, can I you running away screaming? but wait, i think it would be cool have some story, cut scenes or somekind of mini game when youre in port, like the way freelancer works. Silent hunter could have a 'storymode' as well as a dynamic campaign, might be a bit too much work for the developers though... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Sims really do need to evolve in more ways than just technological, (this is true of all games to an extent) blending genres has givien birth to some fine games in the past.

Ok, now you can tell me to shut my mouth and buy an Xbox.

Dragos_Mateescu
11-09-2005, 07:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ok, now you can tell me to shut my mouth and buy an Xbox. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I can tell you it`s a very good idea.

paulhager
11-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Gentlemen -

I heartily agree. I've suggested in the past melding Sims2 and SH3 together - maybe a little more than half jokingly.

The real constraint is computing power. Diamond chips are coming soon which will allow clock speeds that would melt silicon. I expect we'll also see liquid-cooling on home computers at some point. Moore's Law will march onward for several more doublings. Figure in 2025, a top-of-the-line desktop processor will run at speeds in the 10 Terahertz range. This will be greatly enhanced by multi-processor configurations and advanced algorithms to efficently use them.

As I like to say, we're not too far away from a time when your Sim will play you, and not the other way around.

Dragos_Mateescu
11-10-2005, 03:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As I like to say, we're not too far away from a time when your Sim will play you, and not the other way around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. That`s scary http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif