PDA

View Full Version : Should upgrade to 4.01 if offline?

joseph92371
08-18-2005, 11:59 AM
I will be mainly flying offline and was wondering if I should stay with 3.03? I've heard the AI in 4.01 is messed up? Standalone PF installation.

Thanks,
Todd

Catandra
08-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Even though I've only spent about ten minutes with the sim since I installed 4.01, I still had a blast using the Betty with it's long lance torpedo.

I sent a tanker to the bottom in no time at all! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
08-18-2005, 12:08 PM
I would. The new flight models are great and since I bet the next patch will fix the problems with the AI you'll probably want to get used to the new torque and stall effects as soon as possible.

The problems with the AI are frustrating at times but the main ones kind of equal each other out. The AI accelerates too fast in climbs and dives but bails out when it gets minor damage like a gunsite shot out. They're harder to catch but when you do they go down easier.

Lufbery_Boy
08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Wouldn't recommend it. There are too many issues with AI at the moment with regard to energy retention, climb rate and speed at altitude. Also, if you're not familiar with torque effects this may be a problem. Of course, you can turn this option off but most tend to at least give the new challenge a try. Constant rudder compensation will, however, have an effect on your top speed especially when flying Axis aircraft without rudder trim. And taking off for the first time in a BF 109 can be a real headache! But the biggest problem is surely the AI supremacy. There have been repeated discussions on this forum regarding non-historical discrepancies, and I for one have had difficulties catching P47's at altitude with the Dora, which may or may not be historically accurate (according to the statistics provided by the game this shouldn't be the case) but certainly wasn't the case prior to 4.01m.

Brain32
08-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Definitely install it, I'm mostly offliner(56k) this is the best game version since the start of il2 series, yes it has it's flaws but the only ona that is really annoying is when you enter a pursuit vs enemy plane...

Talamir
08-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Do the Betty's really have Long Lance torpedoes in this game? If so thats comepletely wrong, Japanese aircraft and submarines never carried it, they were just too big.

VW-IceFire
08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Talamir:
Do the Betty's really have Long Lance torpedoes in this game? If so thats comepletely wrong, Japanese aircraft and submarines never carried it, they were just too big.
No they don't.

bird_brain
08-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Short reply...yes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

bogusheadbox
08-19-2005, 07:45 AM
I am not a statistics buff. So i can't comment on the shortcomings.

But i do like the flight moddel.

SO i would say yes.

Vacillator
08-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Absolutely. Go for it immediately.

That's my opininion, based on my experience (and I should say I got CH Pro rudder pedals and an X52 stick round about the same time I installed 4.01m).

neural_dream
08-20-2005, 01:25 PM
sounds expensive that 4.01 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

SeaFireLIV
08-20-2005, 01:29 PM
It depends what you want, but, Yes, upgrade. The AI still does a good job.