PDA

View Full Version : Strange Artifacts on Screen

RFait
07-23-2007, 07:16 AM
I am seeing some extra things on the screen. I believe these are called "artifacts". Please excuse me if this is wrong. Most often, I see a line of black dots, 3 to about 8 of them. Most usual, near the horizon of the water.

Next, I see also red dots at off places on the screen. First, I think these are to be sunlight reflections, but they appear where no direct sun is, as inside a cockpit.

Does anyone have an suggestion to causes? I have reduced resolution from 1024 X 768 X32 to 1024 X 768 X 16 as I had thought it was attempting to do too much pixels on screen. But this has not an effect.

Thank all for any idea.

RFait
07-23-2007, 07:16 AM
I am seeing some extra things on the screen. I believe these are called "artifacts". Please excuse me if this is wrong. Most often, I see a line of black dots, 3 to about 8 of them. Most usual, near the horizon of the water.

Next, I see also red dots at off places on the screen. First, I think these are to be sunlight reflections, but they appear where no direct sun is, as inside a cockpit.

Does anyone have an suggestion to causes? I have reduced resolution from 1024 X 768 X32 to 1024 X 768 X 16 as I had thought it was attempting to do too much pixels on screen. But this has not an effect.

Thank all for any idea.

WitNit
07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Usually what your describing is caused by heat...such as your video card getting too hot. Do you have your video card over-clocked?

If so then you might want to try and lower your core and/or memory settings back down to the default settings. If you don't have it oc'd then bad case ventilation might be the culprit. Might need to take the side panel off of your case and use a can of condensed air to blow out the dust bunnies.

Hope this helps. 6 months ago I upgraded my computer with a new vid card, audio card, power supply, hard drive and such. After I finished, my temps where higher than I liked. So I decided to do some serious cable management to improve airflow and it made a nice difference. See links below for "before & after" pics.

Before (http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1095/headoneo5.jpg)

After (http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3411/1002882vy9.jpg)

syncop8r
07-23-2007, 11:37 PM
They're UFOs.
The ones inside your cockpit may be Mysterons, though if I remember Captain Scarlet correctly they are ring-shaped.

Flintlocke89
07-24-2007, 04:32 AM
Do they only happen in-game or in windows too?
Do you have a flatscreen?

They may just be faulty pixels.

RFait
07-24-2007, 05:24 AM
They do happen only in game, and I have the flat screen display. I do not think any pixels can be fault as they appear in different places.

I could be having a problem with heat, but computer has three fans and this happens at early turn on before heat is higher. Air coming out exhaust is not very warm so probably is OK. I do not have computer on floor to keep it away from dust and dirt. But a good idea to check for it, I think, Thanks to all.

YAKMAN1968
07-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Check the fan on your G/card is working. This happened to me with my old 9800Pro, it burnt out due to the card fan failing.

WOLFMondo
07-24-2007, 07:15 AM
What video card is it? Make/model/series?

Flintlocke89
07-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Important, usually causes most graphical errors!

Have you got the latest drivers for your card?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YAKMAN:
Check the fan on your G/card is working. This happened to me with my old 9800Pro, it burnt out due to the card fan failing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
same thing happened to me with a 9800 pro, TWICE!