PDA

View Full Version : Question about visibilty -real Vs game

Eclypse_1593
03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Running with decks awash, periscope up or down, ect. During the war, running on the surface with a periscope 20 meters up in air vs running with decks awash, just high enouph to use the deisels makes a major difference in how far other ships will spot you. Other factors of course like wind direction, moon position, ect were involved.

So my question: Does the game really model all these factors? Oviously it models storm visibility, but what about moon position? And the biggie, does it actually model how far the periscope is above the waves or how far your ship is above the waves? Does running low in the water actually make a difference? For that matter, in stormy weather at periscope depth and a large wave exposes the top of my con tower for a second, an ai spot that?

Ah these are kinda questions I wonder on long patrols, and probably the kind of thoughts that kept me out the really good schools!

Eclypse_1593
03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Running with decks awash, periscope up or down, ect. During the war, running on the surface with a periscope 20 meters up in air vs running with decks awash, just high enouph to use the deisels makes a major difference in how far other ships will spot you. Other factors of course like wind direction, moon position, ect were involved.

So my question: Does the game really model all these factors? Oviously it models storm visibility, but what about moon position? And the biggie, does it actually model how far the periscope is above the waves or how far your ship is above the waves? Does running low in the water actually make a difference? For that matter, in stormy weather at periscope depth and a large wave exposes the top of my con tower for a second, an ai spot that?

Ah these are kinda questions I wonder on long patrols, and probably the kind of thoughts that kept me out the really good schools!

Banquet
03-30-2005, 03:54 PM
I wonder too.

I can tell you moon position makes no difference (which is a shame) but the moon being out or not does make a difference.

I hope that how much of the sub is showing above the surface does make a difference (whether decks awash, or if the conning tower pops into view in a storm when at PD) but I don't know. It would be hard to simulate.

I also wonder whether the sub is as hard to spot as it should be. There are countless times when a u boat could navigate right into the middle of a convoy at night, on the surface.. and not be seen. I haven't had much luck doing this in SHIII. That could be because a/ I'm ****, b/ do the convoys sail closer together in SHIII than they did in reality.. or c/ is the sub too easy to spot?

a/ is for certain. b/ and c/ I'm not sure about.

blue_76
03-30-2005, 05:23 PM
yeah, also fog.. i haven't gotten around to test it.. but does fog make a difference? say as in patches of fog where you can hide and once you come out of the patch, be easily seen.. or do they see you in the fog regardless?
I've had only a few convoy encounters thus far and they've been in mostly stormy conditions, so i can't comment on the other situations.. hopefully all these make a difference.

Warmonger_sub
03-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Fog does make a difference. After a prolonged seek (or rather hear via hydrophone) and hunt game in storm with heavy fog I finally managed to ram the coastal merchant because my watch crew wasn't able to see the bow of my own sub. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif