PDA

View Full Version : Seafires L & F?

MG08x15
11-06-2004, 02:12 PM
We've got two Seafires to play with, L & F; is there any real difference between them, in the game and for real? I saw that Seafires were in service for a very long time, into the Korean war period. What fighters did the FAA prefer and have the most of? It looks like the FAA used and had its choice of all the US marks. Where the reasons cost & convenience or preformance?

MG08x15
11-06-2004, 02:12 PM
We've got two Seafires to play with, L & F; is there any real difference between them, in the game and for real? I saw that Seafires were in service for a very long time, into the Korean war period. What fighters did the FAA prefer and have the most of? It looks like the FAA used and had its choice of all the US marks. Where the reasons cost & convenience or preformance?

VW-IceFire
11-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Seafire III F is like a Spitfire F Vb
Seafire III L is like a Spitfire LV Vb

The L is the one with a "cropped supercharger impeller" which essentially translates into (I don't know the details) improved low altitude performance at the expensive of high altitude performance.

The F has worse low altitude performance in comparison and better high alt performance. Thats pretty much all there is to them.

FAA used alot of aircraft...probably because there just weren't enough Seafire's being built. The Seafire used during the Korean war was quite a bit of a different beast to the Seafire III but draws from the same lineage yes.