PDA

View Full Version : v4.09. Smoother graphics?

DKoor
10-09-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't think it's only my imagination that my FPS went slightly up when I loaded v4.09.
I loaded some map that is usually FPS heavy for my system and it ran more smoother than it used to... I repeated the procedure with same result... umm... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

What do you think, your experiences?

BillSwagger
10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
agreed

first thing i noticed.

I notice i still get lower FPS when there are more objects on the map, though.
Part of me wonders if there is a way to fix this because it seems that my FPS still takes a hit even when those objects are far away.
I can lower object detail but then objects in the foreground have a blurred detail to them. I'm not sure why the game would need to fully render an object that is so far away that i couldn't see the detail of it anyway, but evidently my system takes a hit because of this.

may be there is a setting in my config for this.

Bill

DKoor
10-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I actually expected to get worse FPS in new patch, visibility being increased on clear weather etc.
But... I got a small boost it seems... I was really pleasantly surprised. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Bill maybe you need to check/experiment with new LandGeom= in conf.ini? That tweaks some stuff too... I'm not an expert in this area I read that in README.

DKoor
10-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Changes in Graphics (by 1C:Maddox Games)
Increased buffer size for stationary objects (buildings etc.) to prevent freezes under some circumstances.
Colors of water corrected for Water=2,3,4 modes. Now when looking down it is no more black/dark blue.
Optimized Shaders for Nvidia 8X00 series video cards.
Added a new mode for increased visibility distance. Visibility increased from 36 km to 72km under "Clear" and "Good" weather conditions.
Note: This mode is not optimized for performance: (freezes and low fps are possible on low-end systems).
This new feature is available only in "Perfect" game graphics mode.
Also, there is a possibility to have problems with clouds and their shadows at far distances, due to some engine limitations.
Modify your conf.ini string in the [Render_OpenGL] section to use this mode:
LandGeom=3 (new mode is ON)
LandGeom=2 (back to normal mode)

Excerpt...

Ba5tard5word
10-09-2009, 06:42 PM
For the most part it's the same though now I get major stutters sometimes.

Also maps like Gulf of Finland and Slovakia give me noticeably choppier fps than before.

And I have an i7 920 2.6Ghz and a GTX 260.

BillSwagger
10-09-2009, 07:25 PM
These maps have a high object count, especially in the cities.

This leads me to my previous question about rendering, since i can turn my object detail down and the issue goes away.

I just wonder if there is an option/setting to make it so the objects that are far away are rendered with less detail as to not eat up system resources, while i can still have detailed rendering for objects that are actually close enough to see their detail.
For example, when i'm at 20,000ft it isn't necessary for me to see the cracks in the concrete of a building. But if i'm parked next to one on take off, or even bombing some buildings at lower altitudes, it would be great to see that detail.

I noticed when object detail is lowered, the airplane textures are also effected. So this could be a way around that, as i'd like to have detailed aircraft textures, and less detailed back ground objects.

are there any settings that currently offer these options.

Higher end systems might also benefit from this.

Bill

stalkervision
10-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I think they are smoother. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

M_Gunz
10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BillSwagger:
These maps have a high object count, especially in the cities.

This leads me to my previous question about rendering, since i can turn my object detail down and the issue goes away.

I just wonder if there is an option/setting to make it so the objects that are far away are rendered with less detail as to not eat up system resources, while i can still have detailed rendering for objects that are actually close enough to see their detail.
For example, when i'm at 20,000ft it isn't necessary for me to see the cracks in the concrete of a building. But if i'm parked next to one on take off, or even bombing some buildings at lower altitudes, it would be great to see that detail.

I noticed when object detail is lowered, the airplane textures are also effected. So this could be a way around that, as i'd like to have detailed aircraft textures, and less detailed back ground objects.

are there any settings that currently offer these options.

Higher end systems might also benefit from this.

Bill

Fly towards a distant city. At first I see a gray city-shaped area. When I am closer the buildings pop in.
Same thing with ships at sea, I don't see them from horizon inwards but much closer. AA and ground vehicles
do have a dot stage, I've used them to help find and orient to grass landing strips. Maybe you only get that
at lower settings, for years I had a GF2 card and then a GF5FX. How'd you like to not be able to see other
planes until long after they saw you? If it's only at low settings then it's not worth being easily stalked.

BillSwagger
10-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I think the game still renders the same size texture no matter how far you are from it. So even if it appears as a small box from 7km away, the game is still generating the 1024x1024 pixel detail on it. This creates excess load on the cpu. It gets multiplied by the fact that the further away you are the more objects there can be in your field of view.

I could be completely wrong, but this is my understanding of it, until someone tells me different.