PDA

View Full Version : New HD Monitor? No HDMI cable? Check this out...

PF_Coastie
02-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Hey guys,

I recently got a LG W2361V monitor and was shocked it did not come with an HDMI cable. So I was using the VGA cable with the DVI adapter to my ATI 5770.

Now I was told that there is no difference in image quality when using either of these two cables but you may benefit from different sound quality if your monitor has speakers. BUT...

My monitor has no speakers. But I still wanted an HDMI cable because they just look nicer and are easier to plug in/out. So, My uncle sends me this link to where he bought his online.

Check this out: VERY INEXPENSIVE HIGH QUALITY CABLES (http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240) These things are so cheap, I was thinking about buying them in bulk and setting up a stand in front of best buy. I could double my money easily in one day... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

I ordered two 6ft blue cables and had them delivered for a whopping $12!!!!!!

Other stores charge a minimum of $25 for ONE of these cables.

Now, onto the second part of this post...

HDMI cables DO make one heck of a difference when hooked into your video card. Why? My very simple minded thoughts on this:

You are now connected digitally. Much like a USB port. This also opens up a bunch of new options through my ATI 5770 video card. With the VGA/DVI cable, I had no HDTV settings for my desktop display area. Now I have a whole different menu for my resolutions. One is "Basic" and the other is "HDTV".

The HDTV settings make scaling down the resolution MUCH, MUCH clearer. Everything is now as clear at 1280x720 as it is at its native res of 1920x1080. This is very nice!

So, if you are not currently utilizing your HDMI outputs, I suggest you do, right NOW! Especially at the prices of the cables at the link above.

Have fun!

ytareh
02-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Granted VGA went out with the Ark but isnt DVI which most use higher quality than HDMI?

VF-17_Jolly
02-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I was under the impression that HMDI was DVI with sound and DRM (as far as dvd play back is concerned)

Ba5tard5word
02-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Amazon has $3 6 foot HDMI cables, I ordered a couple when I recently got an HDTV. They seem to work fine.

AFJ_rsm
02-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Second the tip on amazon

I've bought a couple of them from there at ridiculous prices (I'm talking less than $1 even for a 3ft cable), and they work great.

Like I'm not kidding. I once paid about 50 cents for that cable. I have no idea who are the suppliers for Amazon when it comes to hdmi cables, but there always seems to be some at that price range.

Gnomie
02-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by VF-17_Jolly:
I was under the impression that HMDI was DVI with sound and DRM (as far as dvd play back is concerned)
Pretty much, yes. DVI and HDMI are compatible with each other with no loss of quality.

PF_Coastie
02-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Gnomie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF-17_Jolly:
Pretty much, yes. DVI and HDMI are compatible with each other with no loss of quality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe so, But if you hook a monitor up using a VGA cable from the monitor then use a VGA/DVI adapter to hook to your video card, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME as hooking up with HDMI to HDMI.

The reason I mention this is because when you buy a new monitor, they "usually" do not furnish DVI OR HDMI cables. Just VGA with an adapter for DVI. If you use the vga cable, you will have much reduced picture when scaling and you will not have HDTV resolution options.

WhiteKnight77
02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
My ASUS VK222H LCD monitor came with both a VGA and a DVI cable and I use just the DVI cable.

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Another good source is BLUE JEANS CABLES.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/aboutus.htm

Not quite as cheap as the OP's source, but a good folks to do business with.

The make a wide range of cables, and will ship to anywhere in the world.

As for the ultra-expensive cables from people like MONSTER CABLES, forget them, as all of their claims are pretty much BS.

mortoma
02-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Very few TVs or monitors come with HDMI cables. Almost none of them do. I just bought a 52" Sony Bravia and a Sony Blu-ray player to go with it. Neither came with the cable so I had to buy them separately. And as I recall I had to pay a pretty penny for them too!! Both cables cost me almost half as much as the Blu-ray player at about 100.00USD.

jarink
02-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
Maybe so, But if you hook a monitor up using a VGA cable from the monitor then use a VGA/DVI adapter to hook to your video card, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME as hooking up with HDMI to HDMI.

No, they aren't the same. That's because the DVI/VGA adapter converts an analog signal (VGA) to a digital one (DVI). Since the source isn't digital, the quality of the end result is going to suffer.

There are very few monitors that don't come with a DVI input any more, but I can see where HDMI output might be useful if you're connecting your PC to a TV set.

AndyJWest
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
The pricing for cables seems to have no relationship at all with the cost of production. I was in Maplin a few months back, and if I remember rightly, they were selling 2 m USB cables for 10 or so, and USB WiFi doodads/thingummies (can't remember the correct term http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif), with a 2 m cable for 14. Totally bonkers...

M_Gunz
02-14-2010, 11:41 PM
HDMI choices at my favorite discount cable and adapter house. (http://www.cableclub.com/hdmi-cable-c-237.html?osCsid=9b87afcaabf9d5992510293a92a3f7d9)

Andy, they have machines that just crank that stuff out. You buy your materials in bulk, they get _real_ cheap.

p1ngu666
02-15-2010, 04:01 AM
i think DVI has a analogue pass through, in addition to digital, dvi>vga adapter just picks up that analogue signal.

HDMI is pretty much the same as dvi, but with sound, DRM, and some other junk :/

robtek1957
02-15-2010, 06:24 AM
One should remember that HDMI and DVI are DIGITAL Signals!
The quality of the cables has almost NO influence on the signal thats transmitted.
Cable quality is a thing for analog signals!
Digital means it works(even with error correction) or it doesn't! No bad quality!
Yes or no!

Owlsphone
02-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by robtek1957:
One should remember that HDMI and DVI are DIGITAL Signals!
The quality of the cables has almost NO influence on the signal thats transmitted.
Cable quality is a thing for analog signals!
Digital means it works(even with error correction) or it doesn't! No bad quality!
Yes or no!

You beat me to it.

A digital cable will either will work or it won't. Those retail stores that sell $99 6 foot HDMI cables with your new tv are scamming you. That's where they make all their money. There is practically no difference in a gold plated, platinum Tibetan horse hair wrapped HDMI cable to a $2 cable purchased online.

M_Gunz
02-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Some digital works UNTIL it doesn't. No degradation, just one day it's broke usually from slow oxidation in the plugs
or the line got bent one time too many. I don't buy the stuff but gold plating doesn't corrode in any noticeable time.

There's also something to be said for thicker wires or at least better protected wires. They don't break as easily as
the hair-thin strands with f-a insulation and outer covering. You also have a better chance of mending them or using
them for something else later on.
I'll go with cheap but only so far and then it ain't worth using.

robtek1957
02-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Thats right M_Gunz,

but one can obtain up to 20 HDMI cables for the price of one of the more expensive ones.

x6BL_Brando
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
a gold plated, platinum Tibetan horse hair wrapped HDMI cable

Lovely http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

B

TheFamilyMan
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
When displaying on a computer monitor HD content such as bluray disk playback, quality-wise DVI is as good as HDMI. As for the DRM junk, for DVI all you need is an HDCP compliant monitor and graphics card. And BTW, it's impossible to display HD content over VGA due to the HDCP stuff.

Originally posted by mortoma:
Very few TVs or monitors come with HDMI cables. Almost none of them do. I just bought a 52" Sony Bravia and a Sony Blu-ray player to go with it. Neither came with the cable so I had to buy them separately. And as I recall I had to pay a pretty penny for them too!! Both cables cost me almost half as much as the Blu-ray player at about 100.00USD. This sort of con job A/V sales people pull off selling overpriced cables really boils my blood. I'm sorry to say this but you were yet another victim of the cable selling scams A/V retailers pull off. I was shocked when I bought a bluray a year ago when they insisted I needed a $60 HDMI cable. And the kicker was that the saleman sincerely thought he knew what he was talking about. Well I let him have it, though I don't think it did any good.

As for audio cables it does make a difference, up to a point. I spent about $175 for a custom made set of audiophile grade speaker cables (4 cables in all) for my hifi setup and it was money well spent IMO.