PDA

View Full Version : I really hate this on-line DRM crap!

dlionell
12-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Why do I hate it?
The most important reason is there is no guarantee that the server will be up in the future... they could even pull the plug tomorrow if they want. History tells us that game companies are not very good at supporting old games -- why should they? In the future it's all cost and no more profit. Be ready for them to essentially STEAL this game from you in the not too distant future! Better not get too attached to it..!

spectatorx
12-02-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm not so much worried about singleplayer because they will release patch for ubi game launcher to let you run the game in offline mode and that's it. I would be more afraid about multiplayer which is based upon matchmaking. They should to move it to dedicated servers and what follows to recreate whole multiplayer system.

TheLeoCrow
12-02-2011, 07:38 AM
You should know that after the initial activation, you never need to be online to play the single player. And if they ever stop supporting the multiplayer, it will be because no one plays it. I would use your argument when AC2 had an always online DRM but now it's completely pointless! If you bought the game, you don't need internet to play any of the AC games without cheating in any way

iNvid22
12-02-2011, 07:46 AM
how about you get a clue before whining like a little *****?

the game needs a one time online activation just like any other title, after that your done. if you disconnect nothing happens, and if you really want you can force offline mode from within the launcher.

this whining needs to stop because the always on DRM has gone for assassins creed.

the only thing worth complaining about now is the 2 week delay PC gamers got, the actual port itself is very good. arkham city was in a similar situation, also got delayed for PC, but instead of delivering a decent port like ACR the game doesn't even function in DX11.

ace3001
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
They dropped the online DRM with Brotherhood, and it didn't pop up after that. Revelations is really solid on PC. They even released it within two weeks of the console version without holding out for months like last time. I'm not Ubi's biggest fan when it comes to PC, but this time they did a decent job. Don't b*tch without having a clue, please.

FireCrow1013
12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I think what you guys aren't realizing is that if that initial online activation isn't supported anymore, even the single player experience is destroyed.

Brotherhood had NO online activations -- After you installed the game, you could click "Offline Mode," and that was that, you didn't even NEED your CD key if you didn't want multiplayer or extra content. In other words, it was perfect. In Revelations, you can't choose "Force Offline" until you do, in fact, go online after installation to validate your copy. That's still online-based DRM, and if the server that handles it ever goes down, then there goes your game, even the single player portion of it.

An "initial" online activation is still an online activation.

Razrback16
12-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
They dropped the online DRM with Brotherhood, and it didn't pop up after that. Revelations is really solid on PC. They even released it within two weeks of the console version without holding out for months like last time. I'm not Ubi's biggest fan when it comes to PC, but this time they did a decent job. Don't b*tch without having a clue, please.

Yep. The fact that they dropped it from the game was the reason I went out and bought it (and Revelations) on day 1 of release. They still need to treat us better though with regard to releasing our games on the same day as console. Especially since our version is superior with regard to graphics quality.

Mr_Shade
12-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by FireCrow1013:
I think what you guys aren't realizing is that if that initial online activation isn't supported anymore, even the single player experience is destroyed.

Brotherhood had NO online activations -- After you installed the game, you could click "Offline Mode," and that was that, you didn't even NEED your CD key if you didn't want multiplayer or extra content. In other words, it was perfect. In Revelations, you can't choose "Force Offline" until you do, in fact, go online after installation to validate your copy. That's still online-based DRM, and if the server that handles it ever goes down, then there goes your game, even the single player portion of it.

An "initial" online activation is still an online activation. The servers used to handle the first activation are working well - so no one should have any problems with the initial activation.

If anyone is getting an error message about internet connections, they need to contact support to get that fixed.

IF the servers used to authenticate the game are ever took offline for good [unlikely since they would still be used for other titles] - then Ubisoft have confirmed many months ago that it would remove all of the DRM from titles which use it.

This would be via a download from the web, for existing copies.

It's likely that reprints of the title, after the DRM servers removal, would already have the DRM removed

IF that ever were to happen - note the if - I would have hoped people would have activated the game by then, which would allow single player to be played offline anyway - negating the issue?

FireCrow1013
12-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Oh, I agree completely that people will have registered the game far before then - On one machine. Change the hard drive? Get a new computer? You have to authenticate again every time. It's not DRM-free until there's NO need to connect to ANY servers EVER.

And I remember Ubisoft saying they'd remove the DRM before, but other developers have said the same thing, only to completely ignore their own words later. I'm not accusing Ubisoft of lying, but I have every right in the world to not believe it until I see it.

iNvid22
12-06-2011, 03:23 AM
thats not going to happen, at least not for major titles from major publishers, you need to accept this. DRM will always be present in some form to combat piracy, period.

Ferrith
12-06-2011, 03:47 AM
DRM will always be present in some form to combat piracy, period.

...and we all have seen how successfully draconian DRMs have fought piracy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

FireCrow1013
12-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by iNvidious01:
thats not going to happen, at least not for major titles from major publishers, you need to accept this. DRM will always be present in some form to combat piracy, period.

I know it'll never go away, but jokes aside, you see what Ferrith said. This game was available online at least a full day before it released. I would never download that "version," but it was undeniably there.

Besides, there's almost as much piracy on consoles this generation, but developers (rightfully) don't lock down console games like crazy.

Razrback16
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I know it'll never go away, but jokes aside, you see what Ferrith said. This game was available online at least a full day before it released. I would never download that "version," but it was undeniably there.

Besides, there's almost as much piracy on consoles this generation, but developers (rightfully) don't lock down console games like crazy.

Right on both points -- the hacked version was available on torrent sites & p2p sites days before loyal customers could buy it. Combating it is pretty pointless and a waste of resources. It will be pirated. No matter what. The hackers enjoy the challenge of cracking it. Those of us who are willing to pay for the game, will pay for it, regardless because we want more good games.

Also you are right in that console games are pirated also, which is why I always laugh when companies try to act like PC is the only platform it's an issue on. Just absurd. Bottom line the PC is the superior platform and always will be because of its openness with regard to hardware. You can always upgrade to play the game with better performance and quality. With consoles, you're just stuck with garbage graphics and can never change it.

Ichthys91
12-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Shade:
It's likely that reprints of the title, after the DRM servers removal, would already have the DRM removed

I'll buy those reprints whenever they are released, then. I was going to buy ACII from the Ubisoft Exclusive line (since it's a reprint and usually comes DRM-free) but soon I learned it still had that stupid DRM.

As someone said, an one time online activation is still an online activation, and even if a patch is released later you would still need an internet connection to download it and play the game.

Ubisoft (and many other publishers) need to understand that DRM only affects the legitimate consumer and this way you'll end up loosing money. No matter how many schemes you try, the DRM will be cracked sooner or later. Those who get the "best" version are the pirates.

I don't care if the PC version comes one year later (it's actually a good thing since we usually get the complete version, DLC included). As long as it is released without an online connection required, I'll buy it. That's why I've only bought the first Assassin's Creed. And since I had a chance to play the other titles, I'm glad the best one (AC1) is free from such schemes.

FireCrow1013
12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Ichthys91:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Shade:

I'll buy those reprints whenever they are released, then. I was going to buy ACII from the Ubisoft Exclusive line (since it's a reprint and usually comes DRM-free) but soon I learned it still had that stupid DRM.

As someone said, an one time online activation is still an online activation, and even if a patch is released later you would still need an internet connection to download it and play the game.

Ubisoft (and many other publishers) need to understand that DRM only affects the legitimate consumer and this way you'll end up loosing money. No matter how many schemes you try, the DRM will be cracked sooner or later. Those who get the "best" version are the pirates.

I don't care if the PC version comes one year later (it's actually a good thing since we usually get the complete version, DLC included). As long as it is released without an online connection required, I'll buy it. That's why I've only bought the first Assassin's Creed. And since I had a chance to play the other titles, I'm glad the best one (AC1) is free from such schemes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should check Brotherhood out, too. If all you want is the single player campaign (the meat of the series), it's 100% DRM-free. No CD key, no disc in the drive, no online connection.

That's why I'm so ****ed that Ubisoft changed it for Revelations. It was perfect before, and Brotherhood obviously sold well on the PC, otherwise this one would have been console-exclusive.

Ichthys91
12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
You should check Brotherhood out, too. If all you want is the single player campaign (the meat of the series), it's 100% DRM-free. No CD key, no disc in the drive, no online connection.

No. It has online activation.

pedrovay2003
12-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Ichthys91:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FireCrow1013:

No. It has online activation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incorrect.

If you don't care about the extra content like Da Vinci Disappearance, or the multiplayer, if ALL YOU WANT is the single player game, you NEVER need to be connected to the Internet. I know this because I purposely disabled all network connections on my PC and installed the game, and proceeded to play it IMMEDIATELY after installation without reenabling my network connections. I also took the disc out of the drive, and it ran perfectly.

And no, no cracks were used -- That's just how Brotherhood was made for the PC. I don't know if it's different in varying regions, but the North American and Canadian ones have absolutely NO required online connection or CD key activation for the single player mode, EVER.

FireCrow1013
12-08-2011, 05:25 PM
(Wow, I posted that under an old account.)

Anyway, if you want more info, then here's a page from Ubisoft's own website:

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/ap...ternet-connection%3F (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14702/%7E/how-can-i-play-acb-without-an-internet-connection%3F)

Ichthys91
12-09-2011, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by pedrovay2003:
If you don't care about the extra content like Da Vinci Disappearance, or the multiplayer, if ALL YOU WANT is the single player game, you NEVER need to be connected to the Internet.

Wait, are you saying the DLC is not on the disc? You have to download it?

Ferrith
12-09-2011, 07:21 AM
It depends on the version of the game. I bought AC:B months after its release and the box I got had it included.

ace3001
12-09-2011, 08:41 AM
It's on the disc, but it's UPlay exclusive content. You need to activate it via UPlay. Otherwise, the memory marker won't pop up in-game for you.

FireCrow1013
12-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
It's on the disc, but it's UPlay exclusive content. You need to activate it via UPlay. Otherwise, the memory marker won't pop up in-game for you.

Yes, this is exactly right. The game must be registered to get any "DLC" to show up in the game. I don't think there's a way around that, either. Kinda sucks, but none of the extra stuff affects the story or anything, at least.

griff713
12-10-2011, 12:47 PM
well, at least the one-time activation DRM is better than the alternative...... at least we don't have to deal with Steam....

Ichthys91
12-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by griff713:
well, at least the one-time activation DRM is better than the alternative...... at least we don't have to deal with Steam....

I agree that it's better than Steam. However, Steam is not the only alternative. I'd rather have no DRM, or at least a simple one like a cd-key, cd check, etc...